The Expanse

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Can someone confirm for me that in chapter 33 of Leviathan Wakes, it goes from holden broadcasting the log data to them abruptly arriving at the asteroid. It's not the first time I've seen such an abrupt transition and I'm worried the epub I'm reading is flawed

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Just finished S4. Fucking awesome series and I can't wait for season 5.

I think the actor that is playing Holden is getting a lot of unnecessary hate. While I don't think that Steven Strait is quite the actor that Wes Chatham is, I think a large part of the reason the actor gets shit on is because the character of Holden is a fucking Lawful Good Paladin. He's annoying just by the nature of who the character is/what motivates him. On top of that, it takes an absurd amount of acting talent to attempt to portray love interest in Dominque Tipper - fucking gross! That is the one miscast this shown has done - the actress for Naomi is fucking rough. And while she's not exactly Hallmark channel actress bad, she's definitely the weakest of the lot and uglier than sin to boot.

Also, Avasarala might be the strongest sci-fi female character written since Ripley. Chick is a fucking badass and I love the actress' portrayal.

PS. Where's the love for Alex muthafuckin' Kamal?! Dude went from an unsure, crybaby cuck to a total fucking boss ass pilot - "Edward Israel, this is the gunship Rocinate, I have target-locked your drive cone. You and me are about to have a very serious conversation..."

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I try very hard to like Alex for moments like that, but I find him a bit too goofy for my tastes. It's probably the accent. I know it's from the books, but it comes out as parody in the show.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
White-knight characters are the hardest type to play. No one likes them. Everyone just likes byronic types because they are flawed and more relatable. I haven't read the books but I imagine that his persona is going to play in to the bigger picture.

velk

Trakanon Raider
Can someone confirm for me that in chapter 33 of Leviathan Wakes, it goes from holden broadcasting the log data to them abruptly arriving at the asteroid. It's not the first time I've seen such an abrupt transition and I'm worried the epub I'm reading is flawed

Taking a quick look, 33 goes from Holden arguing with Miller about whether they should release the log data straight to the asteroid - it's got a break marker ( lightning bolt ) in between the two, so seems intentional.

• 1Like

velk

Trakanon Raider
White-knight characters are the hardest type to play. No one likes them. Everyone just likes byronic types because they are flawed and more relatable. I haven't read the books but I imagine that his persona is going to play in to the bigger picture.

Wheel of Time has an interesting take on that one, I'm interested to see what they do with Galad actor wise.

From GoT the book, Stannis Baratheon is a more extreme example of how uncompromising lawfulness with the best intentions can end up as a monster, although show Stannis was more lawful-evil I think.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Taking a quick look, 33 goes from Holden arguing with Miller about whether they should release the log data straight to the asteroid - it's got a break marker ( lightning bolt ) in between the two, so seems intentional.

Thanks. My copy is missing the break markers so it just transitions on the next paragraph.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Holden as a character is very annoying but not as bad as I thought he would be after the first 2 seasons. They amped down the over the top boy scout routine thankfully.

Strait doesn't play the character well either though. It's his facial expressions, especially when he's trying to do the whole righteous indignation shtick.

Honestly there is a lot of very mediocre to bad acting in this show and the dialogue when characters are trying to have emotional/visceral moments usually falls flat.

Luckily none of that really matters much because this isn't a character driven show. It's driven by the setting and the setting is great. They never spend too much time on any specific character centric problems and the show never really gets bogged down and swallowed by some idiotic romance or life journey. That stuff is sort of there but it's all backdrop for the setting.

As for Alex... yea, the accent and delivery kind of kills that character on screen. He comes off almost like comic relief even when he's being a bad-ass.

• 1Solidarity

Ridas

Pay to play forum
I dont know if they covered it in the show, but the indian lady sends Holden, because she expects him to fuck it up with his boy scout routine, giving her the results she wants. She is salty at the end, because he somehow manages to resolve it.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Not reading this thread yet, but because I listened to you all and watched The Witcher, I'm gonna start on this. I watched episode 1 and was not omg amazed. Hope it gets better.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Not reading this thread yet, but because I listened to you all and watched The Witcher, I'm gonna start on this. I watched episode 1 and was not omg amazed. Hope it gets better.

Season one is a slow burn, but I'll be surprised if you're not hooked by the end of the 1st season if you stick with it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Season one is a slow burn, but I'll be surprised if you're not hooked by the end of the 1st season if you stick with it.

Is it all on Amazon now? Leaving tomorrow for the mountains with the kids and need something to watch once I'm done with Bojack.

• 1Salty
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Is it all on Amazon now? Leaving tomorrow for the mountains with the kids and need something to watch once I'm done with Bojack.

All 4 seasons are. Some episodes are 4k/hdr and some aren't, it's a bit of a clusterfuck, but they're all there.

• 1Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I'm rewatching the series and just started season 1 last night. I'm enjoying it more 2nd time around. I don't think I became "crazy" about the series until S3, honestly.

• 1Solidarity

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
We're rewatching Season 2 now and stumbled across this little thing in the "previously" part of S02E02

2bLT8bf.png

but Cotyar Ghazi doesn't appear at all in episode 1?

• 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester
I'd chalk that up to "When editors get sloppy and have to make deadline."

If you haven't read the books, read a few of them. I lost interest I think about halfway through the third book, it might have been the fourth, but not because it was bad. It became predictable and a little too obviously modeled off of a role playing group session. I got real tired of Lawful Stupid paragon-shep playthrough.

But that sounds like a stronger critisism than I mean to be. Books one and two were GREAT pulp. That detective is such a great character, and what they did with him was fresh and funny. It was eventually Holden being holden for no deeper reason than he's a space paladin named Holden that just took me completely out of it. I wanted a little more than that, it doesn't make what they wrote BAD, just not what I wanted.

The detective being so good makes Holden even worse in contrast, and they hadn't replaced that detective with an equally interesting character to offset the blandness of holden by the time I decided they probably weren't going to. Maybe one shows up in book 6 or something, if those guys are still writing them.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Kanglor

Silver Knight of the Realm
Yeah, that meeting where she first hires Cotyar got cut for some reason, but they forgot to remove the clip from the 'previously' segment. They ended up putting it on YT at least:

• 1Like