The Expanse

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
You're overthinking this. The guy on the ship was probably BSing because the guy was being a piece of shit. The scene comes across more as a "Uh sorry, what's that, you're breaking up Bzzzt Bzzzttttt" way of getting off the line.
Also how I read that scene

Cybsled

Maybe our understanding of physics is wrong? Maybe our version of physics to the ancient civilization is 2+2=4 because they are so far ahead.

Ya, they never really explain it. It is just sort of left at "this alien race was millions, maybe billions, of years more advanced than us...we can't figure this shit out". The whole Issac Asimov "super advanced tech = indistinguishable from magic" and all that.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Ya, they never really explain it. It is just sort of left at "this alien race was millions, maybe billions, of years more advanced than us...we can't figure this shit out". The whole Issac Asimov "super advanced tech = indistinguishable from magic" and all that.

They were definitely billions plus, b/c the PM was sent to our solar system 2+ billion years prior to us finding it.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
If a single station can influence the inside-the-rings space, then a whole planet with a ring of moons can certainly influence everything in its gravitational region. The scale of that definitely makes sense.

Although letting one of the reactor stations blow up before the molecule goes "hey, let's turn that off" maybe not the brightest thing in the first place.
Its all been derelict for a long time before being kicked active by ghost miller presumably other failsafes failed to stop the explosion and what kicked in was the more dramatic "full room fire extinguisher" kicked on.

iannis

Musty Nester
Ok, show Holden is better than book holden.

That is not what usually happens, but they used the show to develop holden where the books used him as the unchanging central pillar to glue everything else on.

Different medium different focus.

khorum

Murder Apologist
That was Arthur C Clarke. But he was talking about tight Perl code so we'll let it pass.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Book two done and again the show elevated the source material. The cool moments were just handled far better in the show like Amos & Prax, having scenes from the perspective of the side characters like the admirals, and other elements. I liked book Bobbie & book Avasarala better though. There was just some small touches that made the characters stand out compared to the TV versions. For example, the 4th season issues between Avasarala and her husband have a lot more weight for the book version compared to the TV one.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
For a series that likes to be known for being better about realism, season 4 has bugged me a couple times with things that anyone involved would know is silly. At one point the orbiting ship says they are going around the other side of the planet and would be out of communication for 12hrs?

Then we have not even a 100 people on an earth like planet and they are all in the same exact part of it, like think about that for a minute. Then it gets better, they just happen to build their base in line with these lightning strikes going around the planet, within meters. You could maybe try to explain that away by saying the purposefully set up on the equator and the aliens previously also used the equator for functional reasons, but they still nailed it within meters which is impressive for both the aliens and the belters.

How were the belters planning to get their ore shipments back home to sell? They ran a blockade to get to the planet they just figuring on their cargo ships doing that every time?

There are 1300 new systems and the belters just somehow find themselves on the planet important to Holden and his alien friend. Despite this still like the show, just get frustrated how easy it would be to not put this type of silliness in and still tell the story.

i'm just a show watcher, not a book reader, but i keep thinking there's going to be some big reveal that the protomolecule somehow orchestrated the whole thing from the start, down to picking Holden to be the "hero" from birth

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
i'm just a show watcher, not a book reader, but i keep thinking there's going to be some big reveal that the protomolecule somehow orchestrated the whole thing from the start, down to picking Holden to be the "hero" from birth
What makes you think that?

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
What makes you think that?

lots of little things had me thinking it as i watched this latest season. can't remember all of them exactly right now, but the train of thought started because i was trying to wonder if all these mentions of Holden;s multi-parent genetics being relatively unique is a sort of Chekov's gun thing. it's been dropped a few times through the show, and thus far i haven't been able to figure out why it matters at all for them to have mentioned it so many times... there's so many other little world / character building details that have barely gotten a mention in a shot background news broadcast, y'know? so why has this been mentioned so much?

but then, i also am not entirely sure if Holden's multiparent genetics thing is actually all that rare. the conversation where i started thinking about this was when he was branstorming with the biologist about why he was immune to the alien microorganism infection... that conversation made it sound like he was the only one on Ilus that had multiparent genetics, so apparently it must be relatively rare among belters at least. but yeah, after a small amount of searching i wasn't able to easily find any more about it on the wiki and i got distracted before i could read too much and get a bunch of spoilers.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
There has been a few moments in both the series and at least the first two books that made it clear the authors (two dudes, I was surprised) were trying to point out that there might be something deeper at play. Holden remarks on the chances of some things happening being so unlikely, and Miller seeing the hummingbird at times before the protomolecule had been in any position, which helped guide him onto his path. I think there's been a few more but my memory isn't quite digging them up at the moment.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
you'd get some good mindfuck moments from Holden if he found out that the entire thing was predetermined, he has no free will, he was "humanity's hero" because the protomolecule or some even greater force wanted him to be.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah idk, I hadn't really considered that kind of an angle. I guess they could do it, clearly there's something going on with Holden but I had chalked it up to exposure to the protomolecule that may/may not be expanded upon. I thought the bird was just symbolism, not anything specific to the protomolecule. Could be though.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
The destined mcguffin would be really, really lame.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah, my interpretation of that in the books is that it's a sly wink to the reader. A very mild kind of 4th wall breaking where the authors are letting you know that some things HAVE to happen because of plot. From what I remember, and it has been years, they didn't over use it.

Otherwise you'll wind up with what RR Martin ended up with, 500 character POV's and no actual story. Which, I mean, there's a place for that and it's fine on its own merits. It's not what they seem to want to be doing though.

Last edited:

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
So I finished all four seasons and really enjoyed it (especially the first 3 seasons).

Favorite character: Camina Drummer!

About season 4. did they throw everyone through a ugly factory before shooting? The men all had retarded looking beards, Nagata went from cool hair to ugly black boy hair, and Camina lost 99 percent of her awesome eye makeup. wtf?????

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
The destined mcguffin would be really, really lame.

Yes. The conceit of a consequentially-located POV/plot anchor is necessary because otherwise you don't get an engaging story. Think of it as survivorship bias among all possible ways the reader can experience the events. Who wants to read from the perspective of some schlub working in a fungus reclamation plant on the third moon of a system that doesn't see any action and only reads about it in the newspaper? (I mean, that's a valid thing to do, but not the kind of story they're trying to tell.) They keep the same characters from book to book because that makes it easy to keep the readers emotionally engaged. If they wanted it could be done with a sequence of one-off casts, but that's much harder to write.

This approach is as old as stories and shouldn't need justification.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
for reasons unknown, I feel very much drawn to her

tumblr_inline_pcciufLIaB1qbootp_1280.gif

• 4Solidarity
  • 3Like
Reactions: 6 users