The Expanse

Siliconemelons

So is this thing good or not? Always someone saying it’s awesome then dropping memes about its woke and girl power?

What is its sifi ranking? From Earth Final Conflict and Andromeda to Babylon 5 and DS9 where it be?

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
So is this thing good or not? Always someone saying it’s awesome then dropping memes about its woke and girl power?

What is its sifi ranking? From Earth Final Conflict and Andromeda to Babylon 5 and DS9 where it be?
Early seasons better than all those. Later seasons, middling, but still decent. Just a let down in comparison to the early ones.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>

First few are great, last two seasons blow. They diverge from the books big-time, and the most interesting overall plot gets abandoned because they're not making anymore to my knowledge.

Cybsled

It's Sci-Fi that tries to stay somewhat grounded in realism and the plot revolves heavily around two major superpowers vying for control of the solar system with a bench of exploited plebs (belters - people that basically live in very low G environments like the asteroids/outer solar system) caught in the middle.

The last two seasons really aren't that massive a departure from the books except for the fates of a couple characters and how they melded some different characters into existing characters (which is a problem GoT had as well - it's easy to have a cast of thousands in a book because you aren't paying those people a salary). Most of the main story beats and plot lines are the same.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

spronk

FPS noob
watch 3 seasons

then read all the books

thats the best way to do The Expanse

the guy playing Amos and one of the showrunners/authors has a podcast, Ty and That Guy, and its pretty hilarious too

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
also space battles is good and gritty, in the beginning, but they get silly the last seasons

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I watched all the seasons and bought the audio books to finish up the series. The audiobooks are really, really well done. Highly recommend.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Grez

Molten Core Raider
I hope they make the last three seasons. Their books were pretty good, the 7th had an 'Empire Strikes Back' feel to it.

• 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Weird timing on this bump. I was just remarking to my wife that Disney had wasted Daniel Craig, Gwendoline Christie, and now Wes Chatham by hiding them behind Stormtrooper armor. I know it's a trope that actors take off helmets at illogical times, but I kinda understand the flipside too.

Was there ever a post mortem on the TV show? Why did they hint at Laconia with no plans to ever film it? I know a few people that watched just the TV show and that has to be the biggest sticking point to them.

Goatface

Was there ever a post mortem on the TV show? Why did they hint at Laconia with no plans to ever film it? I know a few people that watched just the TV show and that has to be the biggest sticking point to them.

alcon wanted to make more seasons, but amazon bailed. think they tried to shop it around again, but nothing. alcon and the writer dudes still think there is a chance to make more.
they are continuing the show plot in a 12 issue comic that i think covers the 7th book.

• 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
And instead we get Rings of Power. Probably could have easily funded the last three seasons with just a fraction the giant turd took. Continues to take.

Comic book seems kinda meh. Maybe I haven't read the right comic books. But in terms memorability, books or tv shows/movies seem to have it beat.

Maybe this "delay" is how they age up the actors for the last three books.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

Unless that delay is 20+ years, they're going to have to artificially age them up OR accelerate the Laconia timeline

• 1Like

Ome

Molten Core Raider
So count me in as someone whos not a fan of Holden. Anyhow watching an episode of Amos podcast which also has Holden on where they are talking about Carpenters The Thing. Right off the bat you learn that Holden loves Kurt Russel and Carpenter but has never seen The Thing, and has no clue what its about. Holden hate intensifies.

• 1Worf

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I was not a fan of him either in the show, I could give a fuck in RL, lol. But the show as a whole makes up for his lacking.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
watch 3 seasons

then read all the books

thats the best way to do The Expanse

the guy playing Amos and one of the showrunners/authors has a podcast, Ty and That Guy, and its pretty hilarious too

Buddy of mine who I've been friends with since high school does stunt work for TV and movies in Atlanta. Lot of TV shows are shot there now. He's been on a couple of projects with Chatham and said he's a really down to earth, nice guy, unlike a lot of actors he's met over the years.

I'll have to check out his podcast. Thanks for posting that.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
end of the day if the show was moving merch for amazon they would have kept it going, its not a big shock that the show kept losing viewers season to season so it made sense to end. contracts start getting ridiculously expensive past season 5 of any show. The show was just boring the last 2 seasons so there's nothing to suggest it would have suddenly improved in quality if they finished the last 3 books, and its nearly impossible to attract new viewers nowadays to shows that go on forever.

Thats why the new thing is just constantly spinning shit off, why Walking Dead has like 5 spinoffs all resetting with season 1, Narcos kept spinning stuff off, Showtime spins off their crime shows, etc.

I guess you could argue they could film books 7-9 as a new series, The Expanse II or whatever, with even a new cast but ... why bother? There are a million other scifi IPs you could start fresh with and be even more popular like Commonwealth, Culture, on and on.

• 1Like

Goatface

why bother? There are a million other scifi IPs you could start fresh with and be even more popular like Commonwealth, Culture, on and on.
at this time, don't think any person wants their favorite book series turned into a show now. check out the wheel of time thread lol.

=

still think they should animate the last 3 books, like B5 road home but darker would be fine.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I guess you could argue they could film books 7-9 as a new series, The Expanse II or whatever, with even a new cast but ... why bother? There are a million other scifi IPs you could start fresh with and be even more popular like Commonwealth, Culture, on and on.
Why bother? The team working on The Expanse had a track record of faithfully converting the books, which is extremely rare. That alone is a huge plus over spending money on another IP, with different writers/producers.

I thought the problems with season 5 & 6 had mostly to do with the books themselves and the focus on Naomi, who was the worst actor on the show. Additionally, book readers said Philip was annoying in print too.

Also, weren't the last set of books supposed to be as good as the first books?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
The last three books were not on the same level as the first three, but still quite good.

The TV show adaption of the middle three books had the problem of lesser quality source material. But the adaption itself also felt rushed. Some minor characters in Marco's faction that were important to fleshing it out were gender swapped and condensed into 2 characters that got very little screen time. Cas Anvar getting MeToo'd meant that character's plotline with the Martian President got cut. The battle at ring station/Medina didn't get the screen time it deserved.

• 1Like