The Expanse

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Goatface

4.45 star(s) Rating: 4.45/5 20 Votes
Title: The Expanse

Genre: Drama, Mystery, Sci-Fi & Fantasy

First aired: 2015-12-14

Creator: James S. A. Corey

Cast: Steven Strait, Cas Anvar, Wes Chatham, Dominique Tipper, Thomas Jane, Shohreh Aghdashloo

Overview: A thriller set two hundred years in the future following the case of a missing young woman who brings a hardened detective and a rogue ship's captain together in a race across the solar system to expose the greatest conspiracy in human history.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Goatface

Syfy has given a direct-to-series order to an exciting-sounding new project based on an acclaimed sci-fi book series. The cable network has ordered 10 episodes of The Expanse, from Academy Award-nominated screenwriting duo Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby (Children of Men, Iron Man) and Alcon Television Group. The project has been described by industry insiders as ?Game of Thrones in space? ? not so much because of the specifics of the plot, but because it tells a dramatic sprawling grown-up story within a popular fantasy genre that?s based on a respected series of novels.

?A thriller set two hundred years in the future, The Expanse follows the case of a missing young woman who brings a hardened detective and a rogue ship?s captain together in a race across the solar system to expose the greatest conspiracy in human history.?

SyFy keeps throwing stuff out, hopefully something good will make it.

faille

Molten Core Raider
I've been waiting for the plethora of "it's game of thrones in..." projects to arrive and now it's started!

spronk

FPS noob
books were good, i have absolutely no faith in SyFy doing a reliable/good adaption. It involves a lot of space ships, alien "stuff", and asteroid habitats so I can't even imagine how any TV show would be able to do the CGI and not look laughable.

oh well, I guess maybe they are slightly serious about returning to scifi, until of course this bombs and they chase dancing auction trucking master shows

Kaio

Bronze Knight of the Realm
They might actually be putting a lot of money into this considering they are using known movie writers for scripting. Hopefully they stick to the books which were good and don't add too much filler to space out the time. These authors put out a book once a year so far for the last three years so as long as they stick to a short season per year they will be good.

Faltigoth

I've been waiting for the plethora of "it's game of thrones in..." projects to arrive and now it's started!
Well, one of the writers of the books, Ty Franck, used to be GRRM's assistant. So at least this one has a good reason to be in that mold!

I really need to get off my ass and read them.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Daniel Abraham is a friend of GRRM also and has done several projects with him. So yeah, lots of GoT connections in this project.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
sounds good, but after they axed eureka, alphas and wh13 in the space of a year, i have very little faith in syfi channel. if only this was a BBC series.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
"A thriller set two hundred years in the future, The Expanse follows the case of a missing young woman who brings a hardened detective and a rogue ship's captain together in a race across the solar system to expose the greatest conspiracy in human history."

SyFy keeps throwing stuff out, hopefully something good will make it.
I'm confused. Is the captain of the ship a rogue, or has the ship itself gone rogue, or what?

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
The books give off a really strong Firefly vibe. The man character is a lot like Mal. So maybe this will be like firefly....

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
oh well, I guess maybe they are slightly serious about returning to scifi, until of course this bombs and they chase dancing auction trucking master shows
Hah. This just gave me an awesome idea of doing a fictional show that's setup as a reality show about space truckers.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Alpha's wasn't that good, and Warehouse 13 got too weird for itself.
to each his own of course, but for me all 3 shows was an awesome lineup. and yes warehouse 13 got really weird. thats totally fine, me and weird go together quite well.
tongue.png

tower

Golden Knight of the Realm
Dying for a new space opera but SyFy + "it's like game of thrones" doesn't inspire confidence.

velk

Trakanon Raider
Dying for a new space opera but SyFy + "it's like game of thrones" doesn't inspire confidence.
If it helps, leviathan wakes is not even remotely similar to game of thrones. I am not sure how well the human stuff will translate either. The detective is such a downer, and TV has a low tolerance for horrible people with no redeeming qualities.

Kaio

Yeah, syfy is just trying to ride GRRM's comments about the first book and Game of Thrones popularity. It really makes no sense to compare the two.

TV show information provided by The Movie Database