The Fast Food Thread

Palum

what Suineg set it to
They're very overrated and VERY expensive (which is kinda the point of the conversation).

And while I like a good pastrami or Reuben. I also would like some Italian from time to time.

It's really more of a sign of the times than anything else. I was surprised you called it a chipotle style counter, and I think a lot of other people would call it that too, which is kind of telling in why things are the way they are in food now.
I mean as far as Mexican goes I don't know anyone who did the assembly line burrito thing before them. I don't think they invented the cafeteria service counter idea.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I mean as far as Mexican goes I don't know anyone who did the assembly line burrito thing before them. I don't think they invented the cafeteria service counter idea.

Alright so you meant specifically burrito/tex mex. I'm with you now. I thought you just meant a made to order counter for food in general.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Chipotle style burritos were originally called "mission burritos" because they originated in the Mission District in San Francisco in the 60's. Chipotle and all of their clones took the concept nationwide many years later.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xevy

Log Wizard
I think he means the Subway style of assembling your burrito layer by layer in front of you. We had a chain called Qdoba do it before Chipotle did around here and I'm sure there's a lot of others that did that. Chipotle was just the Starbuckiest version of that.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
I always thought "mission burrito" referred to the comically oversized "two full meals rolled into a single tortilla" style typical of California burritos.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I always thought "mission burrito" referred to the comically oversized "two full meals rolled into a single tortilla" style typical of California burritos.
When I lived in Santa Cruz this is how I got them. I've never been to an assembly line burrito place other than Chipotle and it's clones.

This place was my absolute favorite burrito shop in California. I went here like once a week for almost the entire time I lived in the area. They had really good carnitas, and this place is as Mexican as it gets.

1707662377574.png

1707662281380.png

• 4Like
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 4 users

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
It's the assembly, the rice, the big ass tortilla that's been steamed to make it stretch, and the aluminum foil around the outside.

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
Poutine at Main and Mill (Festus, Mo) worth the calories, not the best ever, but pretty good.
Plus, beer flight, yum.

• 1Quality Calories

joz123

Potato del Grande
Haven't had a shamrock shake for years and tried one today. Holy shit is it sugary. Way different from what I remember and will not be buying it again.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Poutine at Main and Mill (Festus, Mo) worth the calories, not the best ever, but pretty good.
Plus, beer flight, yum.

Used to be a place down here that had a Duck Fat Poutine that was incredible, I miss it very much.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I lived briefly in Quebec, and across the street from my house was a place called "The Golden Potato" (La Patate dorée). Their deep friers were full of lard, not vegetable oil. It was a total hole in the wall, but their poutine was world class. I had way to much of it, I'm sure I shortened my life. But good poutine with perfectly cooked and crispy fries, perfect gravy, and true cheese curd (not so common in the US)... to die for.

• 2Like

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
When I lived in Santa Cruz this is how I got them. I've never been to an assembly line burrito place other than Chipotle and it's clones.

This place was my absolute favorite burrito shop in California. I went here like once a week for almost the entire time I lived in the area. They had really good carnitas, and this place is as Mexican as it gets.

View attachment 513918

View attachment 513917

Don't get me wrong. California burritos were great, I ate the hell out of those things when I lived out there.

I just always laughed at them and wondered why they didnt just make two normal sized burritos instead.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Isn't the reason Mission style burritos are so huge because they pack them with rice, and rice isn't (or wasn't) traditionally in burritos before that?

• 1Like

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
When I moved from Arizona to California the rice thing really threw me but it grew on me over time. The burritos in Phoenix were just as huge though and almost all meat. I have no idea how they could sell a burrito the size of your head that was 90% beef for $4 even in the late 90's. If there was one restaurant I could teleport from Arizona to my home town it would definitely be Filliberto's, even though the Carne Asada burrito is $11 now instead of $4.

Screenshot 2024-02-12 10.44.32 AM.png

• 2Like