The Fermi Paradox -- Where is everybody?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
How would such a species outperform a higher energy species in order to evolve?

The universe is said to be 13 billion years old. Life on earth is no more than 4300 million years. Whose to say there isnt life out there that survived a billion or two billion years out of that 13.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ShakyJake

<Donor>
How would such a species outperform a higher energy species in order to evolve?
Not sure what you mean by 'outperform'. They would be on their own evolutionary path. Trees aren't trying to outperform us, for example.

• 1Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Not sure what you mean by 'outperform'. They would be on their own evolutionary path. Trees aren't trying to outperform us, for example.

Let me know when a tree builds a spaceship

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

ShakyJake

<Donor>
That's the point - we, as humans, would never seen this happen. Not saying trees specifically, of course, but any low energy species would be moving on time scales far longer than we would have the perception to observe.

• 2Like

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
That's the point - we, as humans, would never seen this happen. Not saying trees specifically, of course, but any low energy species would be moving on time scales far longer than we would have the perception to observe.

They still have to build a ship capable of breaking their planet's gravity, capable of escaping their solar system, and reaching a nearby star with enough fuel to decelerate and orbit/land on a likely candidate. None of these things are particularly benefited by being "low energy" except for travel time - which is just a nuisance and makes travel less likely for us, although with generation ships time isn't really a limitation so much as it is a motivation killer.

Even if we were willing to board a generation ship today, I think even with the combined wealth of the entire planet we could not build a ship capable of accomplishing this task.

Being "low energy" to me makes this seem particularly less likely since the mechanicals of the ship would be similar in either case.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
They would just get a bugger to build it for them.
orson-scott-card-speaker-for-the-dead-graphic-novel-3-piggy-and-ender.jpg

• 1Like
  • 1Picard

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
They still have to build a ship capable of breaking their planet's gravity, capable of escaping their solar system, and reaching a nearby star with enough fuel to decelerate and orbit/land on a likely candidate. None of these things are particularly benefited by being "low energy" except for travel time - which is just a nuisance and makes travel less likely for us, although with generation ships time isn't really a limitation so much as it is a motivation killer.

Even if we were willing to board a generation ship today, I think even with the combined wealth of the entire planet we could not build a ship capable of accomplishing this task.

Being "low energy" to me makes this seem particularly less likely since the mechanicals of the ship would be similar in either case.
This is my general reaction when people talk about aliens that exist in dramatically different modalities than humans. It sounds cool on its surface, but breaks down when you accost it with ideas like locomotion, entropy and energy processing.

Then again who knows, maybe I have an advanced microscopic alien race in my colon, our earth is a miniscule element of a larger being and the death of fohguild.org and rerolled.org killed a symbiotic artificial intelligence that communicated with other AIs using sub-layered energy fields distributed only through deep roots memes.

• 2Worf

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Your low energy captain checking in on his guacamole UFO

st%2Csmall%2C215x235-pad%2C210x230%2Cf8f8f8.lite-1u2.jpg

• 7Worf
Reactions: 6 users

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If the aliens are advanced enough, would we even know? We might see strange star changes, or gravity shifts, and have no idea some advanced race is barreling past our sun in search of say a boron-rich region to settle.

When humans discovered new islands with a new species, did we make contact? Do we reach out to fish before constructing a dam or discuss with bears before drilling mines?

The biological genetic difference between us and far less intelligent life here is very small, but results in massive difference. Why should we expect intelligence elsewhere to be even close to parity?

My personal opinion is alien life and even intelligence probably exists but contact and communication is unlikely. The more likely situation is we discover them when they do something like swing in and harvest our oceans dry, or irradiate the entire atmosphere to remove oxygen, or drain our sun, and whatever it is without saying shit to us. Or we eventually do it to someone else.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
One hypothesis that I came up with is a variation on the zoo hypothesis - we haven't seen other intelligences because we are far from unique - in fact, life may be so common as to be completely uninteresting. There aren't any biologists studying the ants in my backyard, not because they're not alive but because they are everywhere.

The underlying idea is that we have a history of thinking of ourselves as very important, and every discovery we make knocks us down a peg. We thought of ourselves as created in God's Image on a world created specifically for us in the center of the universe. We've since found out we are basically a slightly smarter version of the chimpanzee that lives on midsize planet that revolves around a non-special star, and are in no way at the center of anything. Extend that downward trend a bit further and you end up with the ants in the backyard, certainly alive but not worthy of anyone's attention.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
One hypothesis that I came up with is a variation on the zoo hypothesis - we haven't seen other intelligences because we are far from unique - in fact, life may be so common as to be completely uninteresting.

So would your hypothesis say they have visited us, but decided not to contact us or investigate because it's just another infested planet, one among many, who cares?

I don't see how that relates to "we haven't seen other intelligences" other than that, because if other intelligences are very common, it seems at least one would have sooner or later decided to piss in our pond.

The underlying idea is that we have a history of thinking of ourselves as very important, and every discovery we make knocks us down a peg. We thought of ourselves as created in God's Image on a world created specifically for us in the center of the universe. We've since found out we are basically a slightly smarter version of the chimpanzee that lives on midsize planet that revolves around a non-special star, and are in no way at the center of anything. Extend that downward trend a bit further and you end up with the ants in the backyard, certainly alive but not worthy of anyone's attention.

Worthy of attention or not (and I despise this 'humans are garbage' self-deprecating schtick btw, we are absolutely the center of the universe TO US, regardless of the truth of that) they still would have interacted with us in some way if intelligences and interstellar travel were as common as you postulate.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Maybe they do interact with us, but most shit is suppressed and were led to believe that all of it is just a joke and one bug hoax. Tons of shit out there that is unexplainable that is documented by pilots, NASA astronauts, and common people seeing shit in the sky that is beyond our capability.

iu

Haven't you seen ancient aliens marathon? Im inclined to believe that we were seeded here by aliens or some grand genetic experiment to make us all into slaves then we somehow magically made the leap from ape to human in a considerable short timeframe, or it was some sky fairy god that gave his right rib to create us. :lumie:

Last edited:
  • 1Picard
  • 1Like

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So would your hypothesis say they have visited us, but decided not to contact us or investigate because it's just another infested planet, one among many, who cares?

I don't see how that relates to "we haven't seen other intelligences" other than that, because if other intelligences are very common, it seems at least one would have sooner or later decided to piss in our pond.

Worthy of attention or not (and I despise this 'humans are garbage' self-deprecating schtick btw, we are absolutely the center of the universe TO US, regardless of the truth of that) they still would have interacted with us in some way if intelligences and interstellar travel were as common as you postulate.

The idea is that life is so common it's not usually worthy of study. They may be aware of us but not bother to investigate in depth because we are in no way special, same as a biologist might take a cursory glance at my backyard, decide there is nothing there he hasn't seen a thousand times over and never come back.

It's not really self-deprecating as it is knocking down our self-importance. There aren't people from all over the world lined up around the block to meet the major of Bumfuck, Flyoverland. It's not that he's not important in his own way, it's that he's just not special.

• 1Like

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The universe is so damn vast and old that it is unlikely that the microscopic time frame that we have been here would also line up with another civilization that actually achieved any sort of interstellar space travel. Would our species haven been able to achieve space flight without fossil fuels like coal and oil? Could any? That is another factor that requires millions of years and the right conditions to achieve.

This is assuming that traveling across great distances in the universe is even possible. I think it far more likely to come in contact with a robotic civilization then an organic one.

• 2Like

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Listened to a podcast on this and the narrator was all torn up about being alone, still an interesting listen I wish i could provide more information to find it.

• 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I've heard from the Joe Rogan podcast a long time ago that Human Beings are actually alien to the Earth. One of his guests believed that we were deposited here by another alien group because of the survivable habitat that is Earth. Or maybe even deposited here by other Humans because our native planet has been destroyed or deemed unlivable.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I've heard from the Joe Rogan podcast a long time ago that Human Beings are actually alien to the Earth. One of his guests believed that we were deposited here by another alien group because of the survivable habitat that is Earth. Or maybe even deposited here by other Humans because our native planet has been destroyed or deemed unlivable.
BSG bro, BSG

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like