The Fighting Game Community Thread

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Anyone watch Pepeday body all of TGS with El Fuerte? Dude is pretty sick.

KCXIV

Molten Core Raider
Damn, no one is even watching MVC3 tourney going on right now! I didnt even know there was a tournament this weekend though.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
fucking smash hit like 40k viewers for their last tournament, is that the highest any Fighting game has gotten? I never followed stree fighter or MVC, but I never see them at the top even when they are running tournaments.

Scaffa_sl

shitlord
I think Smash as it's own scene is bigger than all the Capcom / SNK / ArcSys franchises put together. Not as a troll comment, like it's legitimately huge.

Just got back from an arcade 3s tournament in London, 6 versus cabinets all running arcade version 3s.

rrr_img_78464.jpg

Playlist if anyone cares here:Gutter Trash 3

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
Not even close. Some EVO's have been up in the 100k range
Ah ok, we are getting there though! yah smash is a pretty odd community, the shit they pulled just to get themselves a spot at EVO or w/e to beat out skull girls was dope.

I think the real reason smash is so strong as a community, is because they literally are the step child Nintendo hates, if you watched the smash documentary it seems like Nintendo was doing everything they could to make smash a non competitive thing, smash as a community dosent get help from Nintendo, like other games do from sony/Microsoft etc. im really na?ve to this all though and what Microsoft and sony actually puts out there at events(other than throwing the brand around everywhere), im assuming displays and the setups, maybe a little bit of the prize money?

Column_sl

shitlord
Think the biggest problem is they never want to leave that one game.

From what I understand the pros don't like the new version.

I think they are slowly converting to Project M.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
Think the biggest problem is they never want to leave that one game.

From what I understand the pros don't like the new version.

I think they are slowly converting to Project M.
well its tough, Nintendo made brawl specifically without any of the awesome stuff that made melee so competitive and great kinda think SC compared to Sc2, they are slowly converting to project M only as melee dies though because this is their life.

and even then that Mod is made specifically after melee, adding in all the physics and tech that made melee so popular among the competitive scene, pros are hesitant to switch because theres a shitload of new characters and matchups to learn.

now you got Nintendo fully backing smash 4, and still they didn't deliver no wave dashing, no dash dancing barely, no DI (shitty vectoring aka HOLD DOWN) no L cancelling etc, so I don't see this game taking off either I think its gonna have the same fate as brawl and die off due to the boring nature when watching it, then they will just MOD smash 4 to be like project M again.

Its hard to understand how they have something so perfect, but wont just fall back on it, melee is still a great party game you can casually play with friends, while on the flip side has some hidden tech that can take the game from casual to competitive, I don't see how dumbing it down and taking out stuff that made the game so unique is working in their favor, I mean if project M isn't enough of a smack in nintendos face for not doing shit right I don't know what is and would make them wake up, brawl has all but shriveled up and died.

idk maybe im just a melee elitist, but brawl was dumb and was shitty to watch even when the pros tried to make it work, even now theres something about project M that just dosent feel melee, they had to down the stocks from 4 to 3 to speed up the process, people feel like they live way to long.

in the end It is about money, and I think some douche showed me that brawl was the most succesfull in terms of $$$$

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
My partner is out in Cali right now and is going to talk to Snake Eyes, with this weekends win it might be too late

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
My partner is out in Cali right now and is going to talk to Snake Eyes, with this weekends win it might be too late
who is snake eyes? and are you talking about smash? ive never heard of him around CT, only good player we got is swiftbass / slox and honestly they are both garbage and I can give them a run for their money after not playing for 7 years?

not saying much, but my first local tourney after 7 years of not playing I got 4th out of 32 people at our local weekly, there is such a huge gap in skill its amazing after taking a 7 year break I expected most people to be on that high tier level, so many of my wins just comes from experience, and know how to trick / mind game my opponent to death, theres to many matchups in PM im not familiar with but I still crush melee, my buddy gave me the best advice before that tournament, he used to be the best in CT (cort) he said just play your game, don't try anything fancy stick to what you know and be relentless, because a lot of people aren't used to melee, and how fast it can really get, but I think that holds true in any fighting game, unless you're a top8 player tournaments aren't the place to be trying new shit and get risky, that's the kinda shit u practice in FRIENDLYS dududududud.

Every PM player I play, calls me out as a former melee player because they see the aggression and speed I fight with.

KCXIV

Molten Core Raider
PC update seems really fucking good right now. I dont lag in fullscreen anymore even when offline. That shit pissed me off. Lag has been minimal on pc and on xbox today. So far really enjoying it, but we will see as time goes on. So far though, 2 big thumbs up on patch.