The Fishing Thread

Hosix

All labs matter!
Was that some weird species of catfish? Kind of the same body as a Wells catfish. Pretty crazy though.

That is what I was thinking. I saw a thing awhile back on either Discovery Science or animal planet. It went into how those Wels cats had adjusted to eating birds that are on/near water

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Why are you posting a video so we can see still photos of monsters? I was expecting some grainy cell phone footage.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Me and a buddy did a three day float down the Clark Fork in Montana. I always throw spinners and have great success. This trip I got into a really nice sized pike. Was a great fight on my ultra light tackle, had to let him wear himself out before trying to bring him in. Caught a few nice cutthroats as well. Beautiful country, I fucking love Montana.
IMG_20220826_163954741.jpg
IMG_20220827_131845674_MP.jpg
IMG_4131.jpg
IMG_20220826_170238906.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220827_131845674_MP.jpg
    IMG_20220827_131845674_MP.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • 10Like
Reactions: 9 users

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Grapevine Lake, TX. 36" blue cat caught with a big juicy grub on my crappie pole from a kayak. Hell of a battle.
IMG_20230409_113346639.jpg

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 5 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Grapevine Lake, TX. 36" blue cat caught with a big juicy grub on my crappie pole from a kayak. Hell of a battle.
View attachment 468245
Man hell of a fish. I'm curious what kayak are you using looks, like maybe a pedal drive Hobie of some sort?

Anyways that fish probably equals more than the weight of the fish I've caught in this past spring, things have been pretty slow but right on. Did you keep it or did you pitch it back?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Yes sir, Hobie Outback. I don't keep catfish that big, those are breeders, not eaters. I'm taking it down to Padre for a four day weekend tomorrow. If the winds aren't too bad I want to go offshore a bit to some of the old drilling platforms. I have to be prepared to handle a 6' shark from it if I do that. I'm a little trepidatious but should be hella fun.

• 1Solidarity

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I have a Hobie Pro Angler. Assume the pedal drive is now on a lot of other kayaks after Hobies patent ran out.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I have a Hobie Pro Angler. Assume the pedal drive is now on a lot of other kayaks after Hobies patent ran out.
Yeah I think pelican has pedal drive versions of it, and a lot of other newer companies. I still don't have a pedal drive on either of my boats, but I think NuCanoe has a retro fit pedal system that I can slap on my frontier 12, but I think they're charging like a grand. Cheaper for me just to get a tag and throw a trolling motor on the back transom.

Borzak Borzak don't you have one of the older models?

• 1Like

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
The pedal drive is sweet, I have the Mirage 360 on mine. The pedal drive itself is $900 but well worth it. Fighting a paddle while you're trying to fish sucks ass. I do want to get a trolling motor kit at some point though.

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Yeah I think pelican has pedal drive versions of it, and a lot of other newer companies. I still don't have a pedal drive on either of my boats, but I think NuCanoe has a retro fit pedal system that I can slap on my frontier 12, but I think they're charging like a grand. Cheaper for me just to get a tag and throw a trolling motor on the back transom.

Borzak Borzak don't you have one of the older models?

I got the first Hobie Pro Angler out of the mold, at least that's what the Hobie rep said at Austin Canoe and Kayak and you really never saw any photos of it online yet. They had one they had just unloaded and all the employees were looking at it. Guy said there was something on it he could tell cause they used it for promotion photos and never took it off. I was there to buy an Outback and liked the rod holders and bait holder. Works well for what I use it for. Long days on lakes bass fishing. At the time I lived minutes from the largest lake in TX and would fish all day on days I didn't feel like taking the boat.

It's heavy but I just backed the truck up on a dirt road that went into the lake and pulled it off the truck straight into the water.

DSC00205 (Large).JPG

Last edited:
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users