The Fishing Thread

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Best fishing trip of my life. Being able to get off the beach and have some mobility really suits my style of fishing.
Yea my favorite fishing trip was visiting the nice Krogers that had a ton of different seafood. Much better than the older one on the shitty side of town.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
holy fucking shit. In a peddle drive kayak? You weren't worried about getting back?
I check the forecast and the swell report before going, that week was pretty flat seas. I also take a marine VHF radio with me in case if emergency I can radio the Coast Guard. Big risks=big rewards. That being said, I was pretty creeped out on those giant, rusted out platforms 5 miles out and didn't stay too long.

I fished with one of these guys on my last day and will probably plan my next trip on meeting them out there the next time. It's always better to use the buddy system when going out on the ocean.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
What would he do with those fish if he wanted to keep them?

I don't have time to watch the whole thing. When do the sharks show up?

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
I think that shit would trigger my claustrophobia. Or maybe some heretofore unknown irrational fear of being eaten by a barracuda.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Some big fish out there that would tip a kayak when you try to land them. Yikes.
I had a 500 lb dolphin fucking with me once I got the King on board and out of the water. Freaked me out pretty bad, he was doing circles around my kayak and under it. He could have flipped me if he wanted. I have some of that encounter on my GoPro. If it's decent I'll post it.

Those boys didn't keep anything but I did keep one, had to lay it longways beside me.
IMG_20230817_083251415.jpg

• 2Like
  • 1Mother of God
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
did you have to kill it, or did you just let it flop around?
They start off with one or two long, powerful runs and if you can weather that then you can start getting them in. Once I got him in the boat he was completely done, he didn't flop at all. Next time I will definitely bleed it out once it's on board.

My woman fried some last night, it was delicious. It's real meaty and firm, she described it as "steak-ey". Hope it does well after being frozen since I have about 10lbs of filets in the deep freeze now.

• 3Like
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 3 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Was out at the pond yesterday morning, and some how managed to get this bass on shore with maybe a size 24 dryfly. Was just trying for bluegills middle of the morning, and I guess the bass hit the bluegill I was pulling in, and miraculously got hooked. Not an amazing fish, but was still fun and a nice surprise, especially since fishing is so slow right now.

IMG_20230902_121414883_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20230902_121439309_HDR~2.jpg

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
The most fun fish I ever caught: I was fishing for perch with a bream pole I made myself. It was an 8ft fiberglass pole that used to be a flag you had to have on go karts to run them on the subdivision streets. I had glued a 5" wooden handle on it and 2 eyes. It's a lot of fun to catch perch on that thing. Well we were on the docks and a school of bass moved in and when that sucker hit, it bent the rod all the way to the handle. I'm shocked nothing came apart and I almost dropped it. It took a few minutes to get him in. I wanna say it was around 12"-14" I think the minimum size was either 16" or 18". My memory on the laws back then is fuzzy, but needless to say it was a nice schooling size bass, but not close enough to even bother measuring it. It was a little disappointing that it was just a baby after I felt like I'd hooked the bottom of the lake.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
The most fun fish I ever caught: I was fishing for perch with a bream pole I made myself. It was an 8ft fiberglass pole that used to be a flag you had to have on go karts to run them on the subdivision streets. I had glued a 5" wooden handle on it and 2 eyes. It's a lot of fun to catch perch on that thing. Well we were on the docks and a school of bass moved in and when that sucker hit, it bent the rod all the way to the handle. I'm shocked nothing came apart and I almost dropped it. It took a few minutes to get him in. I wanna say it was around 12"-14" I think the minimum size was either 16" or 18". My memory on the laws back then is fuzzy, but needless to say it was a nice schooling size bass, but not close enough to even bother measuring it. It was a little disappointing that it was just a baby after I felt like I'd hooked the bottom of the lake.
Haha, fiberglass is awesome to fish with. I've got a few glass fly rods that I use specifically for panfish and stuff. They're surprisingly rugged though and I got such just the nature of the material. B but every fish you fight even if it's a little dink it's like hooking a shark. I like them also because they cast a lot slower and it really forces you to monitor your timing and it's how I really learned how to fly fish effectively on an orvis seven and a half foot rod but I've got. It's meant for lightweight duty but I've hooked decent size bass on it and I think even caught a catfish at one point.

I had a great uncle who used to make fishing rods and he made a 8 and 1/2 ft 7/8 weight for my dad many moons ago before I was born. My dad gave it to me maybe 5 years ago and I've fished it a few times but it's kind of one of those things where I don't want to potentially break it or ruin it. But for a fiberglass old school rod I don't even know what type of glass it is, maybe E glass, it's a smooth caster. You just get so much feel out of that type of rod, and it really makes for a more enjoyable experience.

I'll probably pass it down to my nephew, carry on the uncle to nephew tradition.

• 2Like

Goatface

some variation of this is what i think of any time someone talks about ocean kayak fishing

• 1Mother of God
  • 1Worf

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Dang. 2 hours and 45 minutes to reel it in. Can you imagine how exhausted you would be?
What's crazier is they're saying it was caught on 6lb line. Assuming braided with a steel leader. Guess that might be why it took so long, play the fish slow not to pop. Can't imagine catching something that big.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
I've caught a 30-40 lb gator gar on 20lb mono before and it was impossible to get him on onshore from all the thrashing. He eventually cut my line with his scales. What people don't realize until they actually handle one are that they are covered in fucking ginormous dinosaur scales that are sharp as razors on the edge. Was once holding one up for a pic and as it thrashed it ran a few of those scales against the grain across my arm and sliced me pretty good. A 283 lber could definitely kill a swimmer if they had the predatory instincts of a shark. Thankfully they don't.

• 2Like