The Fishing Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
I thought the other name for mahi mahi was dolphin fish. It's got 3 names? Well if that's mahi mahi, then it is good and I don't even care much for fish.
It depends on where you're from. You actually can usually tell where a person is fishing out of based on what they call it. In Florida we usually say dolphin, but it's also called Dorado or mahi mahi.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I thought only Hawaiians called them dolphin. Hawaii is the only place i have heard it called that.
Yeah see above. Just depends on where you're fishing.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Fun fact. Can also kinda tell where a person is fishing out of based in how they fish. In South Florida they do a lot of kite fishing. Go north of say West Palm Beach and all we do is troll dead baits.

Always wanted to try kite fishing for sails.

Another random fact. When trolling it's usually very easy to tell if you got a hit from a sailfish. You'll hear the line go crazy then stop.. sailfish come and hit their prey with their bill, the prey is stunned falls back and then they eat it. So if you ever hear that you grab the reel, free spool it for maybe 6-10 sec and WHAM. You know it's a sail.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Someone buy an offshore fishing boat and let me teach you the ropes. I miss fishing.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
It depends on where you're from. You actually can usually tell where a person is fishing out of based on what they call it. In Florida we usually say dolphin, but it's also called Dorado or mahi mahi.

I say dolphinfish because it horrifies some people.

splorge

Silver Knight of the Realm
12kg mulloway.jpg

12kg mulloway by the boy.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Going bass fishing from the bank when it stops raining everyday. My goal will probably to be to catch "a" fish maybe 2 pounds if I am lucky. We'll see.

• 4Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Lake right in the middle of Ft Worth. Paddled out to a small island, set up camp for the night, and did some catfishing until 2am. Caught my personal best blue cat, it was every bit of 25 lbs.
IMG_20200809_000024612.jpg
IMG_20200809_000011969.jpg
IMG_20200809_063806465.jpg

• 9Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 9 users

splorge

Silver Knight of the Realm
The yellowfin tuna have reached max size in my area. They don't get much above 8kg. Excellent for sushi nonetheless.

IMG_6676.jpg

IMG_6712.jpg

IMG_6720.jpg

• 5Like
  • 2Quality Calories
Reactions: 6 users