The Grand Tour (from the guys in Top Gear)

Leevonroy

Lord Nagafen Raider
Where are you guys watching this, online?

I thought my DVR was set for the new episodes on BBC America, but haven't seen it picked up yet.

Ah, Ok, Mondays is when they show new episodes on BBC America, so tomorrow night!
You can go get a rip from Finalgear.com

McFly

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I fucking love it when they come to 'Murica.

I've never been an Astin fan, but holy damn that Astin Martin was as good as I've seen a car look.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
its too bad the viper was shit, though for its price you really get a lot of car. the astin was fucking incredible. i liked their "creative editing" while driving 55. did anyone else catch the jack bauer reference at the end when hammond walked across the border to mexico with his manpurse?

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
its too bad the viper was shit, though for its price you really get a lot of car. the astin was fucking incredible. i liked their "creative editing" while driving 55. did anyone else catch the jack bauer reference at the end when hammond walked across the border to mexico with his manpurse?
It was an odd selection of cars because of the price difference between them. The Lexus had the tech and looked pretty good, but at 340,000 UK pounds, if you could afford it, you could probably afford something nicer. The Aston looks gorgeous but at 190,000 pounds it only looks cheap compared to the Lexus, and costs more than twice as much as the Viper. The Viper made sense in the US setting, but it would have made more sense to compare it with cars whose price was at least in the same ballpark, say like a Nissan GT-R.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Man, they were seriously like an hour away from here. I doubt they allow the public near them when they're filming (outside of the open road stuff), but I would've loved to have seen it.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Echoing everyone else, the Aston was just fucking *gorgeous*. The Viper was so terribly plain and drab in comparison. Honestly I don't think the Lexus was anywhere near as sexy as the Aston either, it looked "cool," but it just didn't have that purebeautythat the Aston did.

Also the modified police vehicles were just hilarious as hell.

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
I laughed when May said, "Oh look, there's a drive through dentist, Hammond will have to stop there."

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They've done this to US cars before. The one test was a Chrysler 300, the one Aussie drift car they love, and some Jag that was 2-3x the cost of either. Shit is silly. But I guess there's no great direct comparison here. The new Vette isn't out yet and they already did(and loved) the previous generation ZR-1. I'm not sure if stuff like the Hennessey Venom or SSC Aero would fit in, they're more in the Pagani/Koenigsegg class of hypercars.

The Lexus isn't the prettiest car(it's not ugly, it's just sitting next to the Astin), but it's like the GT-R in that it's just absolutely amazing to drive apparently. They loved it before and really the only complaint was the fact it's a Lexus.

Dickskids were amazing. And it was one of the more tense final races they've done even if it is all planned out.

I do hope they get to fuck around with the SSC or Hennessey eventually. I guess both are a couple years old, but the new SSC Tuatara is supposed to best the Veyron SS so I hope they get that when it's out.

Empala_sl

shitlord
She is Scottish... like her accent.
Liked the show yesterday - that SS is a beastly looking car. In Europe it's probably well over 50k EUR - shame.

Anyway - why would they test a Hennessey or a SSC, let alone pit it against a Veyron? They are kit cars, built in a shed.
They happen to go fast but neither of them are nowhere near the achievement that the Veyron is.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Anyway - why would they test a Hennessey or a SSC, let alone pit it against a Veyron? They are kit cars, built in a shed.
They happen to go fast but neither of them are nowhere near the achievement that the Veyron is.
Because they test stuff like that sometimes and it would be entertaining. Stuff like the Gumpert or the Noble they made jokes about it while testing them. Of course they make more sense for the show since they're made in English sheds.EDIT:Gumpert is German, I might be thinking of the Ascari. Or just wrong, equally likely.

Good episode, I didn't realize how long it had been since they'd done this style of Europe crossing race. Something I didn't realize I missed so much.

Jeremy has been great this season. I mean, he's great every season, but especially so this season so far.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i had thought that jeremy was going to hatch a secret plot with may to fuck over hammond so he loses again. hammond is such a prick when he wins anything.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Loved May pulling out the bike. And loved Hammond winning just because he doesn't like soccer but he wanted to beat the other two.

The part with Jeremy listing the awful features of Mustang lovers and then it cuts to May/Hammond and his cheese when he answers that he does indeed own a Mustang. So good.

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
Only thing I'm disappointed with this season so far is that they're not track testing enough stuff. They should have handed the Stig the GT500, the Vanquish, the Viper, hell even the LFA for a lap in the dry.

Also, the easiest way to counter all the UK flag waving over european cars is to remind the Brits that at least we still make cars in the USA.

-Rolls Royce - German owned.
-Bentley - German owned.
-Jaguar - Indian owned.
-Aston Martin - Owned by Ford for a while, now shared by several owners,apparently.
-Land Rover - Indian owned.
-MG - Chinese owned.
-Lotus - Malaysian owned.
-MINI - German owned.
-Vauxhall - American owned.

I find that kind of sad though, since I wish the Brits were still doing things well enough to have their own marques back. Maybe some day.

Maul

Dental Dammer
They've done this to US cars before. The one test was a Chrysler 300, the one Aussie drift car they love, and some Jag that was 2-3x the cost of either. Shit is silly. But I guess there's no great direct comparison here. The new Vette isn't out yet and they already did(and loved) the previous generation ZR-1. I'm not sure if stuff like the Hennessey Venom or SSC Aero would fit in, they're more in the Pagani/Koenigsegg class of hypercars.

The Lexus isn't the prettiest car(it's not ugly, it's just sitting next to the Astin), but it's like the GT-R in that it's just absolutely amazing to drive apparently. They loved it before and really the only complaint was the fact it's a Lexus.

Dickskids were amazing. And it was one of the more tense final races they've done even if it is all planned out.

I do hope they get to fuck around with the SSC or Hennessey eventually. I guess both are a couple years old, but the new SSC Tuatara is supposed to best the Veyron SS so I hope they get that when it's out.
Will it really beat the Veyron though? Speed aside, the Veyron by all accounts is pure luxary inside and fully loaded with equipment, which is part of what makes it so fantastic. Honestly with how poor American cars are refined, I highly doubt it will be as spectacular.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Oh it won't be the amazing thing the Veyron was, just higher top speed. Just like their last car was until they made the SS version.

I've never read reviews or anything on the refinement of the SSC Aero. I don't really hunt that stuff down I just wait for the fellas to tell me how bad it is.

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
Only thing I'm disappointed with this season so far is that they're not track testing enough stuff. They should have handed the Stig the GT500, the Vanquish, the Viper, hell even the LFA for a lap in the dry.

Also, the easiest way to counter all the UK flag waving over european cars is to remind the Brits that at least we still make cars in the USA.

-Rolls Royce - German owned.
-Bentley - German owned.
-Jaguar - Indian owned.
-Aston Martin - Owned by Ford for a while, now shared by several owners,apparently.
-Land Rover - Indian owned.
-MG - Chinese owned.
-Lotus - Malaysian owned.
-MINI - German owned.
-Vauxhall - American owned.

I find that kind of sad though, since I wish the Brits were still doing things well enough to have their own marques back. Maybe some day.
Well we do make cars in the UK it's just by and large we just don't own the companies involved
wink.png
That's a long story though...

There are some UK owned companies still, McLaren may be the best known. Morgan and Caterham are as well I think. Noble are or were, but I'm not sure they make any cars now. None of them make many cars.