The Great

Izo

Tranny Chaser
3.00 star(s) Rating: 3.00/5 2 Votes
Title: The Great

Genre: Drama, Comedy

First aired: 2020-05-15

Creator: Tony McNamara

Cast: Elle Fanning, Nicholas Hoult, Phoebe Fox, Adam Godley, Gwilym Lee, Charity Wakefield, Douglas Hodge, Sacha Dhawan, Sebastian de Souza, Bayo Gbadamosi, Belinda Bromilow

Overview: A genre-bending, anti-historical ride through 18th century Russia following the rise of Catherine the Nothing to Catherine the Great and her explosive relationship with husband Peter, the emperor of Russia.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Has everything. Cucks, cocks, tits, horses, love, murder, violence, war, rape, fancy french dresses. Wife loved it. I got laid. 10/10 would watch squeezed boobs again.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
This is a great show. The dialogue is fresh and intelligent and the tempo is great. This is not a historical drama, it is not even historically accurate, it is an reimagining of those events.

Please do not hate this show for its slight contamination of wokeness. Sure, there are feminist ideas, but those fit in that historical timeframe quite natural. The only unnecessary wokeness was the fact that there are too many american inventors actors in the roles of Russian nobles. Historically i think there was just one Russian American Inventor (i kid i kid).

However, the guy playing Peter III is hilarious and plays so well his antagonistic role I was rooting for him the whole time. And the supporting cast is great too. It is now my favorite show.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The GF randomly put it on, and it was so good that I stopped what I was doing and binged it with her. It’s fantastic and hilarious. Huzzah.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Got something right about marriage
This is definitely not a bad show, it's certainly entertaining. But it's kind of a mess and doesn't know what it wants to be. Sometimes it's a dry, sarcastic comedy. Sometimes it's a period drama. And sometimes it's incredibly dark and macabre. And the transitions between the three can be fairly jarring.

The dialogue is good as well as the acting and I wouldn't suggest against watching it but I don't think I'm in the "it's good" camp. Only on the 5th episode so maybe I'll change my mind by the end.

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
It is a complex show, but I do not think it is a mess. There is character growth and everything flows logically to the conclusion. But I do not want this to be a debate, it is a matter of taste I suppose.

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Well I finished it and I changed my mind. This is actually a pretty bad show. It's not complex at all. It's a mostly lousy, cliche love story filled with one dimensional characters and nonsensical plotlines.

4/10, do not recommend. Mostly because the over the top, outrageous first 4 episodes trick you into thinking this might have some satisfying payoff. No such payoff is there.

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Well I finished it and I changed my mind. This is actually a pretty bad show. It's not complex at all. It's a mostly lousy, cliche love story filled with one dimensional characters and nonsensical plotlines.

4/10, do not recommend. Mostly because the over the top, outrageous first 4 episodes trick you into thinking this might have some satisfying payoff. No such payoff is there.
Have to agree. The show had potential but it never lived up to anything.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
This is definitely not a bad show, it's certainly entertaining. But it's kind of a mess and doesn't know what it wants to be. Sometimes it's a dry, sarcastic comedy. Sometimes it's a period drama. And sometimes it's incredibly dark and macabre. And the transitions between the three can be fairly jarring.

The dialogue is good as well as the acting and I wouldn't suggest against watching it but I don't think I'm in the "it's good" camp. Only on the 5th episode so maybe I'll change my mind by the end.

I’m two episodes in and came to say almost the same thing. It is enjoyable enough but all over the place in tone and substance. The preview made it look much more like a whimsy dark comedy. And yeah it is some of that but also all this other stuff that shifts around without much grace. Will stick it out but my expectations are pretty lukewarm.

elidib

Vyemm Raider
I'm forcing myself to finish it because my girlfriend likes it.

Every part with Catherine plus Leo makes me want to gouge my eyes out. The show wouldn't be too bad without that entire subplot.

Also Orlov, who is supposed to be the smartest person in the country, is an absolute doofus 100% of the time.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
The woman put it it on and I thought it would be garbage feminist bull shit, which it is, but also Peter is fucking hilarious, which makes up for it.

I don't know the history of Katherine the Great, and I'm not going to look it up for the sake of the show, but when Peter dies, the show dies.

Chris

Potato del Grande

Oh no. This is on in the UK now and Episode 5 is tonight. What happened?

I came here to post how great this show is :(

• 1Worf

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
This is a great show. The dialogue is fresh and intelligent and the tempo is great. This is not a historical drama, it is not even historically accurate, it is an reimagining of those events.

Please do not hate this show for its slight contamination of wokeness. Sure, there are feminist ideas, but those fit in that historical timeframe quite natural. The only unnecessary wokeness was the fact that there are too many american inventors actors in the roles of Russian nobles. Historically i think there was just one Russian American Inventor (i kid i kid).

However, the guy playing Peter III is hilarious and plays so well his antagonistic role I was rooting for him the whole time. And the supporting cast is great too. It is now my favorite show.

they actually cast blacks as russian nobles in 1700s?

LMAO

i literally lived in russia since birth and didnt see my first black person until i was 10 years old. they were a trio of tourists from africa. entire russia probably has several thousand blacks at most out of a population of 150 million

Chris

Potato del Grande
they actually cast blacks as russian nobles in 1700s?

LMAO

i literally lived in russia since birth and didnt see my first black person until i was 10 years old. they were a trio of tourists from africa. entire russia probably has several thousand blacks at most out of a population of 150 million
That's US diversity casting for you, black people everywhere. Don't watch Bridgerton lol.

Even if it's stretching the truth, having Indian actors is borderline credible as "central asians", now they have one main character like that but seems like an easy out for diversity and historical credibility.

Even UK productions have loads of black people but hardly any Indians even though the Indian demographic in the UK is double the black demographic.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
This show caused me to get into a fight with the chick I'm dating because I said it was retarded that there were seemingly so many black nobleman in Russia during this period.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
This show caused me to get into a fight with the chick I'm dating because I said it was retarded that there were seemingly so many black nobleman in Russia during this period.
Did she counter with the lack of jews?

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>

Lmao, did she actually tried to argue that Russia had joggers as noblemen?

TV show information provided by The Movie Database