The Green Knight (2020)

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Watched the 4K version that was ripped. I enjoyed it, but all valid points here and it is exceedingly artsy. Amazing scenery and looks beautiful, good music as well. Best part is the c shot.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I feel like I watched a painting.

That was a bit odd. Some parts were pretty interesting but a bit confusing. I liked the part with the giants even if that was also pointless. When the hand reached out I caught myself trying to back up my head. If you choose not to watch this movie, you are not missing anything. If you choose to watch it, it has some parts worth the watch but it is overly long.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
I feel asleep half way in, woke up for the end, and was intrigued enough to at least rewind and see what I missed. So sort of a snoozer, but interesting to watch.

JonLancewood

Lord Nagafen Raider
Re-read the English poem to prep for this and holy hell did this miss the mark. The plot did a pretty solid effort in emasculating Gawain and his motivations. Book Gawain is gun-ho for glory and to shower himself in virtue, he refused the creepy swinger wife like some sorta quasi-MGTOW legend, and returns to Camelot to fall on his sword and tell everyone about the sash. This movie blew ass and painted a different picture. It was about as good as that pointless upside down portrait.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's not good. Pretty, but not good. Could have done without the random handjob by the "Lady" character, while the old woman who is never explained just kind of hangs out. Just a lot of shit that doesn't make sense even within the context of the narrative. And then the entire "ending" sequence is just dumb.

My friends and I were watching it going "Is half this movie just him tripping balls from eating mushrooms?" because while beautiful, no character's motivations seemed correct.

Watch if you want to get some artsy shit going on while also enjoying some good cinematography. Don't watch for a stable and coherent retelling of Gawain, because it's not, and the story the put in its place is also not good.

• 2Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
This is not what I expected based on the marketing. I expected a horror adventure type film. This is a drama. I was not familiar with the poem. That being said I really enjoyed it. ronne ronne Fountain 2.0 is a good way to describe it. When you realize what the film is really about, it makes the ending very satisfying.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
while the old woman who is never explained just kind of hangs out.
I believe it is supposed to be Gawain's mother, who is Morgen Le Fey, though never named. Arthur just refers to her as his sister.

And she is just keeping tabs on him in an illusion.

• 2Like

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
5/5 visuals, lighting, score, costumes, sets, etc.

1/5 story...

• 2Like

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Ok, if I watch this with the volume off after the Green Knight is beheaded, am I really missing out on anything? Thoughts?

spronk

FPS noob
saw this over 2 nights, fell asleep multiple times. boring as fuck. its a great allegory for modern England though, a story about a premature ejaculating incompetent effeminate homosexual brown man who has no clue what he is doing and fails at everything, and is given all the power, money, and women by all the white people in England.

Don't fall for the "its beautiful!" trap either, its just ok. Mostly shots of pretty average forests. Ain't got shit on Costa Rica, Black Forest, the Shire, or Redwoods.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
The story is about accepting Christianity and Christ.
I would say its about honor. Its about what honor means to a knight. Would you rather one thing... or the other? And once you know... then you will be ready.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I would say its about honor. Its about what honor means to a knight. Would you rather one thing... or the other? And once you know... then you will be ready.
The green knight dies and comes back to life . He also becomes alive every Christmas. In addition Gawain has to give up the pagan magic protecting him and accept Christ at the end to avoid his fate.

That being all said honor is a major sub plot but that is largely tied to religion as well. As being an honorable knight is part of being a religious knight.

• 3Like