The Haunting of Bly Manor

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
idk, I liked that it was just a relatively simple ghost story. It wasn't as good as the first one but as a drama involving a haunted house it was good. I agree with the point they made on RLM about the way they played with time and perspective to add more layers to the story. It's good shit, but it's not a "horror" show as we normally have in US culture with the jumpscares and the bullshit.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Not scary. Not tense. Not horror.

The themes were heavy-handed. Overly sentimental.

But it was well-made.

5/10
Well its not really horror or intended to be scary it was more of a gothic romance than anything. Pretty interesting movie for a genre that is not really done very much any more. Showing different kinds of ways they can go with this kind of story which is interesting if t hey do a third "season".

Pescador

Trakanon Raider
I enjoyed it, but I would have enjoyed it more if we didn't have the first season as a reference point for what the series is capable of. As a lot of you have mentioned, the plot here is much more of a slow burn, and there are no real dramatic twists. I remember how shocking it was to find out in the first season that the 'bent-necked lady' was haunting her past self, and how all the separate sibling and parent plot point coalesced as the season ended. Here, it felt like they tried to tie everything together in a similar way but it was so much less impactful. I was still gripped by the story, but a lot of the storylines simply faded away and lacked the depth I was expecting. I liked how they slow-played the ability of the ghosts to possess people, and you gradually figure that out, but I was just hoping for a little bit more to the faceless ghosts beyond "Viola killed them and over time they lose their faces". I know they were purposefully staying away from jump scares, but I think they really could have ramped up the creepiness to create a little more tension. I don't need a louse noise and things jumping around the corners, but the first season scattered just enough of those tense / scary moments to keep you on the edge of your seat. Overall, I still enjoyed it and it's not a disappointment, but it's still solidly below season 1.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I am struggling to get into this. I think i am on episode 5 and its taken me weeks to get here. So far I don't much care about anyone and not much has happened.