The Haunting of Bly Manor

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Everything is perfectly splendid!

Just finished it, pretty good - definitely more of a slow burn/creepy series than the original but still well done. Everything gets wrapped up pretty well also and I was pretty good with the ending. Interested to see where the final season goes as I read yesterday this is intended as a trilogy.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Caliane

yeah. starts slow. ramps up in epi 5 bigly. Everything ties up well, pretty much all is explained.

The coda at the end is a bit heavy handed. They should have skipped the side by side shots in particular. like, we get it, we're not morons. Esp just have her do the water/door thing at the end.

Last edited:

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
I really liked it but not as a ghost story. I'm OK with that. I'd rather have something like this than cheap jump scares.

As heavy handed as the last episode/coda got, they really spelled it out for you when Jamie says at the end "Its not a ghost story, its a love story"

No real scares, nothing creepy or unsettling, but its a really well done love story and I enjoyed how deeply they went into the background of some of the characters who became ghosts like Viola and Perdita, you dont normally see long character narratives from "Ghost perspective".

I'd definitely watch it again but not for scares

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Well Kate Siegel (Viola) is the wife of Mike Flanagan and so I knew she had to come into play at some point. Was still and interesting backstory episode.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Finished it. The ending had some weak spots but overall the season was great. The long "Wake. Walk. Sleep" scene in the penultimate episode was amazing television.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Finished it. The ending had some weak spots but overall the season was great. The long "Wake. Walk. Sleep" scene in the penultimate episode was amazing television.

Yeah, I really enjoyed that whole sequence of scenes for Viola. Never really thought about how ghosts become ghosts from a ghost perspective.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Was a good show, pretty tense most of the way throughout without really having jump scares. It was well written and mostly well acted. The au pair was a bit off somehow but the rest were strong.
I haven't seen haunting of hill house so I guess I'll go back and watch that one now.

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Not scary. Not tense. Not horror.

The themes were heavy-handed. Overly sentimental.

But it was well-made.

5/10

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Not nearly as good as Hill House, but of course that is a high bar to set.

Didn't like how this season was too episodic like a TV show.

It was ok, downright boring and lazy at times. Honestly thought it started stronger than it finished other than episode 8 about Viola was very good. Would have liked to have seen that more incorporated into the show somehow.

• 1Solidarity

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
On a side note, Evil on Netflix is really good. We started it after we finished bly manor. (I liked bly manor)

• 1Like

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Just finished this today. I really liked it a lot. The last few episodes were really slow but overall it was a great watch. Of course wasnt as good as Hill House and definitely was missing the scary factor. But overall very enjoyable. Hope they do another show.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah hill house was best, this is mediocre at best. Not enough scary shit, no jump scares, no chills on the back of my neck. 5/10

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
So overall I'm liking it, but man episode 7 was some of the worst TV I have ever seen. The very next episode , the standalone story episode w/ the sisters next is 100x better.

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
Yeah the penultimate episode with the history of the manor was absolutely incredible and I'm not sure they could have put it earlier to make the entire season better. I really enjoyed this season but season 1 was overall much stronger.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Consulted a horror buff. Said it doesn't really grab you. 5 episodes to get going with no big payoffs?