The Head Hunter

Fedor

<Banned>
4.25 star(s) Rating: 4.25/5 4 Votes
Title: The Head Hunter

Director: Jordan Downey

Release: 2019-04-05

Runtime: 87

Plot: On the edge of a dark wood, a medieval Viking bounty hunter heeds a daily signal to enter the woods to fight and claim the heads of horrific beasts. Between mounting trophies and treating battle wounds with mysterious potions, the quiet warrior plots revenge on the monster that robbed him of his greatest treasure.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
Saw the trailer for this yesterday. It strikes all the right notes for me.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

JOESAN21

<Gold Donor>
I enjoyed everything but the ending. It seemed like they tried to suddenly amp up the horror vibe and changed the entire direction of the movie. Beyond that last 1/3 of the movie though, I really liked it. The story leaves a lot to the imagination (which if you have played AD&D ever it worked. I could imagine better battles and monster fights than they could ever CGI) The cinematography was great--one review compared it to Skyrim which you can totally see. Worth it to support movies like this.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
Where did you watch it? One of the usual sites or is it streaming somewhere?

• 1Like

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Looks cool. Great concept and visuals. Looks like Youtube and Amazon have to to stream/rent?

• 1Like

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Nevermind, it is out on Newsgroups so I imagine it is on all your favorite torrent sites as well.

• 2Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Wow.

This movie was perfect in almost every way.

Sure, the subject matter may not be for everyone, and therefore someone wouldn't think this movie was all that great, or even good perhaps. But if you can objectively look at a movie for its component parts and how they lead one into another, setting up everything that happens in a logical and consistent manner, you would have to admit that this movie does exactly what it sets out to do. The progression of events is internally consistent without completely giving away every plot beat. Including the ending. And if you actually like this subject matter, it's a no-brainer that you should watch this movie.

I also appreciate that the entire movie was only 70 minutes long, because it didn't need to be padded with fluff. Now, I wouldn't complain at all if someone threw a little money at it and put some CGI battle scenes into it to make it another 10'ish minutes, but it would add literally nothing to the movie beyond the glitz factor.

The main actor was amazing, and since he is pretty much the entire movie, that's certainly fortunate. He conveyed every emotion that we needed to see, usually without speaking, and he fit the part (physically) that he was playing perfectly.

I could go on, but basically this movie blew me the fuck away. Easily 9.5/10. I'm trying to think of something to explain why I took a half point off, but I can't, so fuck it...10/10!!!

• 2Like

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Pretty good movie, really liked the lack of bullshit dialogue and the atmosphere was great. I like more low budget type horror movies like it. Only thing that annoyed me was the ending.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Agree with everyone, it was amazing up till the ending, maybe I missed something but

if the thing kept regenerating because it was doused in the healing crap he made would he also regenerate and not be able to die since he was regularly covering himself in it.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Agree with everyone, it was amazing up till the ending, maybe I missed something but

if the thing kept regenerating because it was doused in the healing crap he made would he also regenerate and not be able to die since he was regularly covering himself in it.
Obviously movies can do whatever they want, but I'd say the difference is that he was just smearing a handful on himself at various times. That was enough to heal him from his current wounds, and perhaps might have had some lingering effect for a day or two that we never saw, but it was pretty obvious that he didn't keep regenerating because every time he came back fucked up he had to apply more. If he had accumulated enough to regenerate like the monster, he'd be healed by the time he got back after every fight. It obviously wore off at some point.

The creature got a massive dose, all at once. Like, tens to maybe hundreds of times what the hunter used every so often. And, it was only regenerating the head, not various wounds all over his body. We never really were told time frames, but clearly the implication was that the bounties were coming faster and faster, and that's why he started to get sloppy with stuff like not locking the black goop up every time and not fixing the shutter. If he'd had even a single day of rest before that last hunt, he likely would have tidied all that up and none of this would have happened. So except for the end, his applications likely had plenty of time to wear off even if the effects were cumulative.

Anyway, point being, TL;DR I think the difference is the massive single dose the monster got. It probably would have eventually stopped regenerating, but not in the day or two they fought after the first kill.

• 2Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I really liked the mood, atmosphere, minimalism of it all. Like others, I didnt care for the ending. The main monster was cheesy throughout and felt like some bad 80s horror movie.

• 2Like

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I really liked the mood, atmosphere, minimalism of it all. Like others, I didnt care for the ending. The main monster was cheesy throughout and felt like some bad 80s horror movie.

I agree with your overall points. The main monster likely was just a budget issue. This was clearly very low budget.

I think what all of us appreciate about this movie was that it was very tight. Short run time, told a specific story, and told it from start to finish while not spoon feeding it to you through exposition. The only real exposition was talking to the daughter's grave and even that was as minimal as I see possible.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
what was that thing he kept in the river? Also what did the monster keep saying? Sounded like Maudib from Dune.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database