The Higher Education Thread: Justify Poor Life Choices

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Mist, do you believe socioeconomic status plays any role when it comes to getting excellent teachers, especially in the areas that you mentioned (7th and 8th grade)?
You clearly didn't read my post, since I didn't mention anything about 7th and 8th grade being bad due to poor quality teachers.

Most children are difficult to educate at those ages, this is just a fact.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Uhh... you serious bro?

In education, EVERYTHING is racist. IQ tests are racist. The SAT is racist. School districts where anybody can buy a house there but the district is 90%+ white are racist.

In shitty school districts/schools they used to try to separate the kids who were there to learn but that has been deemed racist as well.

THIS IS FROM 1988 30 motherfucking years ago

The Tracking Controversy

Dude, I don't follow K12 related things too closely at the moment.

Titan_Atlas

Deus Vult
<Banned>
People actually say that shit? I don't have kids in school or anything so I don't follow school related issues too much in this capacity.

But fucking seriously? If black and latino kids start acing their school work they'd be put on track too. People don't understand that shit?

That would require parents taking responsibility for the environment that isn't conducive to learning.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Wife and I plan on trying to get our daughter into Thomas Jefferson High Shool, one of the best public schools in the country and harder to get into than some Ivy League colleges (based in acceptance). Being half white and Asian will make it more difficult for her to get in.

Not all public schools are bad mist.

Too bad #1 is in Dallas... The Best High Schools in America, Ranked
1257.jpg

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
That would require parents taking responsibility for the environment that isn't conducive to learning.
Children shouldn't be punished for having bad parents.

However, there's very little you can do to fix this besides charter boarding schools.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Dude, I don't follow K12 related things too closely at the moment.

They get around the tracking nonsense by having "magnet" schools now, parents enrolling their kids in private schools for $$$, and economic segregation by school district/attendance zone.

Same shit, different tune.. just gotta pay to play.

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
The smartest person I've ever met is a kid I went to high school with who got a degree in EE, worked in the field for 18 months, then decided he wanted to be a doctor instead of programming sonar systems.

He is a cardiologist now.

He told me "it's staggering how many not-very-smart people are in medical school and get through just fine because they have a good work ethic, but then end up being not-very-smart doctors."
There's nothing wrong with that. You don't need to be a genius to be a doctor. Someone of above average intelligence with a great work ethic can be a fantastic doctor. He won't be pioneering or innovating in the medical field but he can still be a great doctor. In a lot of cases, a great work ethic can be more beneficial than a few extra IQ points.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
I wasn't mixing them up, I was just making a related statement about how useless CNAs are.

Except you don't work with nursing assistants. So, talking to someone with little to no experience is like talking to a wall. How do you propose two nurses working in a skilled nursing facility where there is a ratio of 10:1 (10 patients to 1 nurse) without the help of an assistant? CNAs help with bathing, ambulating, toileting, feeding, and turning patients.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
There's nothing wrong with that. You don't need to be a genius to be a doctor. Someone of above average intelligence with a great work ethic can be a fantastic doctor. He won't be pioneering or innovating in the medical field but he can still be a great doctor. In a lot of cases, a great work ethic can be more beneficial than a few extra IQ points.
I didn't say there was anything wrong with that. I said merely that doctor doesn't necessarily imply that someone is particularly smart. If you look at statistics, only a few specialties of doctors have greater than mean IQs. Some even have lower than mean IQs.

Being a doctor means you are willing to work hard and put up with a lot of bullshit over a long period of time.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I said one of the best, still #5!

Fuck maybe i can use that to convince the wife to move where the CoL is lower.

You just have to pick carefully. Those Dallas magnets are great... but something like 158k kids go to Dallas ISD schools and maybe 250 get into those magnet schools per year. It's stupid as shit. You have to question whether you can afford to live in DISD and send your kids to private school if they don't get in the magnets.

Also those townview magnets are downtown and nobody lives downtown or anywhere near it. Most people who get their kids into magnet schools end up shuttling the little bastards to school every day, and then shuttling them all over creation to see their friends since their friends will be all over.

I prefer to pony up and buy a house in HPISD, a small district in the middle of dallas that is economically segregated from Dallas, and is #6 on the list of the best school districts in the US: Here are the 20 best school districts in the U.S.

All the kids are neighborhood kids that my kids can walk to, they walk to school, etc.

You'll be surprised when your kids start school how much your quality of life is affected by what school your kids go to, where that school is and where the kids that go to school with your kids live.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I didn't say there was anything wrong with that. I said merely that doctor doesn't necessarily imply that someone is particularly smart. If you look at statistics, only a few specialties of doctors have greater than mean IQs. Some even have lower than mean IQs.

Being a doctor means you are willing to work hard and put up with a lot of bullshit over a long period of time.

Particularly smart compared to who, you? Think of all the things a Dr. has to have accomplished in order to be who he/she is, and what you have accomplished. Are you really talking down about doctors now?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I think one thing we can all agree on is that college is way too fucking expensive right now for what you get.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Except you don't work with nursing assistants. So, talking to someone with little to no experience is like talking to a wall. How do you propose two nurses working in a skilled nursing facility where there is a ratio of 10:1 (10 patients to 1 nurse) without the help of an assistant? CNAs help with bathing, ambulating, toileting, feeding, and turning patients.
When I was a professional tutor at the community college for 4 years, a large amount of my students were CNAs. Most were dumb as fucking shit. These dumbshits took up slots on the waiting list for the actual nursing program, slots that could have gone to people who had already completed 1 or more AS degrees while sitting on the waiting list. These dumbshits would drop out 1-2 semesters into the nursing program because actual nursing is actually fucking hard.

This is why I said 'the process needs to be better.' I meant the waiting list process. I should have been more specific.