The Higher Education Thread: Justify Poor Life Choices

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
You may want to consider government work then. You can maintain your humanities interest, not make piss poor salary and have good benefits. Vets preference and all that too.

The dream is to get the RN degree work at a local VA hospital and finish the 14 years I still have remaining on my federal retirement and then double dip nursing at some private place afterwards.

Swagdaddy

Move to a major city and you'll forget about that humanities shit real fast.

To each their own I was stationed between D.C. and Baltimore and there wasn't much I found enjoyable about the Metropolitan life style, if anything I found most people to be pretentious fuckwits and an offense to my gee golly dontch ya know midwestern sensibilities.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Volto!

Lord Nagafen Raider
I have a degree in both philosophy and nursing. Applied to an rn program literally a week before I graduated with my philosophy degree since I had ultimately decided against applying to med and law programs, and a philosophy degree is about as useless as they get.

An RN, with even a few years of floor experience, can branch out and work in so many different areas. It's not all sick and dying people and cleaning up vomit and poop all day. I work in surgery and I absolutely love it, except for the handful of asshole surgeons I have to deal with once or twice a week. Every younger (35 years old or less) physician I work with says they wish has become an rn instead of a physician due mostly to the insane hours they have to work. They make a lot, but who cares when you have to work 70-80 hours a week?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
To each their own I was stationed between D.C. and Baltimore and there wasn't much I found enjoyable about the Metropolitan life style, if anything I found most people to be pretentious fuckwits and an offense to my gee golly dontch ya know midwestern sensibilities.
It's just the area

Swagdaddy

I have a degree in both philosophy and nursing. Applied to an rn program literally a week before I graduated with my philosophy degree since I had ultimately decided against applying to med and law programs, and a philosophy degree is about as useless as they get.

An RN, with even a few years of floor experience, can branch out and work in so many different areas. It's not all sick and dying people and cleaning up vomit and poop all day. I work in surgery and I absolutely love it, except for the handful of asshole surgeons I have to deal with once or twice a week. Every younger (35 years old or less) physician I work with says they wish has become an rn instead of a physician due mostly to the insane hours they have to work. They make a lot, but who cares when you have to work 70-80 hours a week?

Glad to hear this

Cad

<Bronze Donator>

Counterpoint almost all my in-laws are MD's and they all shit on nurses 24/7 and wonder why anyone would work the hours nurses work (similar to doctors in many cases) for total shit pay.

Swagdaddy

Counterpoint almost all my in-laws are MD's and they all shit on nurses 24/7 and wonder why anyone would work the hours nurses work (similar to doctors in many cases) for total shit pay.

I can solve the mystery

2 year commitment instead of 12, if I was a wise 17 year old instead of a stupid 27 year old I would definitely agree with them

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Nurse is a good gig if you got a family. Work 3 12 hr shifts and be full time. Only beed 1 day of childcare if your husband/wife is a 9 to 5er

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
One of my sisters is an MRI technician on the same kind of schedule. Works out well because my brother-in-law is a union railroad guy who barely works at all. No childcare needed really.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
got my BS in computer engineering when I went back to school at 26 years old, best decision of my life

Volto!

Lord Nagafen Raider

It always depends on what kid of rn and md were talking about I suppose. Depending on where you work - surgery is s good example - lots of places and/or departments can rack up tons of OT and you can make serious bank as an rn. Again, you have to be willing to work doctor hours, but it all comes down to why you're willing to commit to. I personally work 40 hours a week, never weekends, all holidays off, and I make good money. It's not Doctor money, but I'm quite comfortable living in Southern California with my pay.

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Medical jobs just tend to take over your life so I wouldn't get into it thinking it's going to be a 9-5 and you can party otherwise. All of the medical people I know are slaves to their schedules which are shitty and long hours for no discernible reason.
The specialties with controllable lifestyles have been becoming increasingly popular. Part of the reason derm is the most competitive residency, even though the dumbest med student would probably be a fine dermatologist.