The Hobbit

Vardisk_sl

shitlord
Didn't they kill everyone but like 10 people in the throne room at Helm's Deep? That always really fucking annoyed me.
And they fucked up the dwarves outside Moria too. The problem is that while orcs have a lot of really good racial bonuses, they have some pretty awful, but very situational, racial penalties. Mainly that they have huge to-hit and armory class penalties when facing hero characters, which is really bad since The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings is primarily about whole bands of heroes traveling together.

Chris

Potato del Grande
i thought all the women and children got to escape through the back door.
Yeah, it just seemed dumb that EVERY MAN IN ROHAN was dead by the end of the battle except Theoden's 2 guards and Eomer's exiles. They showed orcs take the entire fortress, in the books they just fend them off long enough to be rescued.

Caliane

well they can't be. considering the "hey Gondor needs your help, Send your army to Gondor" in the third movie. If everyone was dead, except for the exiles, who exactly would Theoden even had to send in the first place?

so yeah, movie seemingly had just women and children. and yeah, like maybe 20 cavalry it seemed.

Legolas also stated they only had 300 in the first place. The exiles counted 2000. so yeah, the numbers don't really add up that well. If every able bodied man was fighting. probably should have been more then 300.. Particularly when you consider that there were 2000 exiles. so what, Theodan had a standing army of 100? and had 2000 of his own horsemen exiled? lol. Eomor should have just overthrown him.

Chris

Potato del Grande
So I guess that the entire male population of Edoras died, still seems wrong to me? You can give the numbers thing a pass and getting more later because Grima stopping things like that was a plotline.

Skylancer81

Molten Core Raider
If you remember it those were only the Soldiers from the capital city and whoever they got word to in time that made it to Helms Deep. The rest were all over Rohan during the battle. So he lost most of his capital city forces. As I remember (book wise ) the standing army of Rohan was all over the country at that time in skirmishes with Orcs. So by the time Gondor was in trouble they were so spread out and most never made it in time.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Just watch Desolation of Smaug. Is it just me or have both of these movies been kind of boring?

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Personally, I think they fall short of the mark, and are more boring than they should be. Do you think it's possibly because they are adding so much crap in order to make it into three movies. Two movies would have stretched the material from the book just fine.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Just watch Desolation of Smaug. Is it just me or have both of these movies been kind of boring?
It's you. Both movies have been thoroughly enjoyable. You're a boring engineer so that's probably why you can't find fun in simple pleasures. You're probably a robot like Deathwing.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I'd say they weren't particularly boring, but they also should have been two movies instead of three.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
They're too Disney-esque, like a themepark of sorts. Even the Smaug & dwarves scene was like a theme park ride. Jackson cashed in and could really give two shits about this 'trilogy'.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
Jackson is trying to stretch thin source material into an epic trilogy and hasn't been very effective so far. The first two movies are pretty much LoTR redux and seem kind of pointless. Desolation of Smaug has some of the dumbest scenes of all time, particularly the one in which Thorin Oakenshield surfs in fucking lava.

And I don't care what anyone says, films shot in 48 fps look terrible.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
I Blame 3D.

I've said it before and will keep saying, they feel that when making a movie in 3D it needs to give you that "Oh and Ahh" factor. A themepark ride, and they drop the priority of things like good story telling and film making.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
It's you. Both movies have been thoroughly enjoyable. You're a boring engineer so that's probably why you can't find fun in simple pleasures.
Yeah you're probably right. The Hobbit is a kid's book I enjoyed when I read it as a child, but I think I had the wrong expectations with the last two movies. Everything just seems so drawn out and most of the movie feels like filler. The action sequences seem silly like carnival rides and have no threat to the characters. Even the bad guys escape unscathed. Plus they'll show 30 orcs chasing the company, then show Legolas icing 30 orcs and then show 30 orcs leaving the scene with their leader.

I was telling my wife I'd probably enjoy it more if a few dwarves died every movie in the different action scenes. That way I'd at least feel that the characters were mortal. I think Boromir's death in LotR really set the stage for the rest of the work to show that yeah, people are going to die. This isn't a fault of the movie of course (though the tears if they started killing dwarves that Tolkein didn't would be great).

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I don't really like these movies at all. My wife loves them but she has a female-boner for Jackson material. The 2nd movie was really boring and shitty.. and I really hate those scenes like the fat dude in the barrel, minus the hilarity of him performing a whirlwind.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I still love the book and reread it recently. But I do not love the movies so much. They're fine, serviceable, they just don't really excite me. Gandalf is great, Bilbo is great, the effects are great, idk why I am not more into it. I think I am just not that into fantasy in general lately.