The Hobbit

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
7 days. I just hope they don't mess it up like they did LoTR with arrowsmith's daughter doing all sorts of bullshit just to sell tickets to girls. She never saved a hobbit. Also, WTF 3 movies for a 300 page book? Imagine if they did an Ericson movie? It would be 7 thousand movies.

Faiona_sl

shitlord
From what I heard they're adding parts of the Hobbit appendices into the movie, so that's why its in 3 parts...so like when Gandalf goes off to drive out the Necromancer, that isn't included in The Hobbit book, but they're going to add that stuff in.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
there is actually a load of source material on the hobbit. tolkien was a wordy mofo. during the 90s chris tolkien released a bunch of writings from his dad on middle earth and everything else.

Blackyce

Silver Knight of the Realm
Were the Hobbit appendices done before or after the Lord of the Rings trilogy was written? I ask this because before the trilogy, Bilbo getting the ring from Golum is completely different. It wasn't until after the publishing company asked for a follow up story that the current version replaced the old.

I'm a bit nervous though about the movie. The Hobbit is a great book but it's a short book, unlike LotR. The first time I read The Hobbit, I read it in a day as when I was like 12. Making three movies out of the book and appendices could really be scraping the bottom of the barrel for a payday, similar to the Star Wars prequels.

Feien

Ploppers
Do they have the rights to use stuff from Silmarillion and tales of middle earth?
No they don't. Like Faiona mentioned above, a lot of the story for The Hobbit movies comes from the Appendices at the end of The Return of the King. There's a very thorough timeline of the events that happened during that time, so we are going to get to see that on the movie (such as where would Gandalf disappear to.)

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The Silmarillion was a dense read. So many movies could be made from that. I remember scouring through the Silm and unfinished tales to try and figure out who Tom Bombadil was before the Internet was out.

Then ask Jeeves told me he was a frekin doll.

I wept

ColourofSpace_sl

shitlord
Decided that I'm going wait for my second viewing to see the movie in HFR. I've read a few reviews on theonering.net, and the majority recommend to see it in HFR but wait till your second viewing: high budget BBC drama.

Ryanz

<Banned>
Gonna go super nerd and do a LotR marathon before seeing this...although that might backfire and diminish my enjoyment of this movie comparatively.

ColourofSpace_sl

shitlord
Gonna go super nerd and do a LotR marathon before seeing this...although that might backfire and diminish my enjoyment of this movie comparatively.
I've been watching the extended editions the past few days, and my enjoyment hinges upon whether or not I'm studying, etc. Good luck sitting in the theaters lol, I'd be a lot more tempted if the theater companies around me (Carmike and Regal) were actually showing the marathon.

Ryanz

<Banned>
I've been watching the extended editions the past few days, and my enjoyment hinges upon whether or not I'm studying, etc. Good luck sitting in the theaters lol, I'd be a lot more tempted if the theater companies around me (Carmike and Regal) were actually showing the marathon.
I didn't mean a marathon in the theater...I don't even think that's an option. I meant watching them at home.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
Going to go see this at an IMAX theater that's about an hours drive away. I too am a little concerned with how much material they are going to cram into the story line. I mean overall the book was very quick and to the point, which helped give it a momentum that carried the story along to it's conclusion. That is what you want in a viewing experience; a quick ride that packs in all kinds of meaning and emotion into a very efficient space. If you start adding vast amounts of back story and information not directly tied to the original narrative... it could wind up like a Ken Burns documentary about the Hobbit instead of the Hobbit itself.

I guess I will just have to wait and see.

Fyro

Golden Squire
Is anyone else really worried about the direction they are going. The trailers I have seen look bad, artistically, and furthermore they look over-the-top kiddy.

I know The Hobbit was more kid-oriented, but I am really worried. I still don't see how they are going to get anything decent out of the first 1/3 of the book. Book doesn't get decent till Lake-town.

Also I really hope they don't make the wargs look retarded. I still have high hopes for this film, I will do my best to not go into it with a tainted vision from the trailer.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Is anyone else really worried about the direction they are going. The trailers I have seen look bad, artistically, and furthermore they look over-the-top kiddy.

I know The Hobbit was more kid-oriented, but I am really worried. I still don't see how they are going to get anything decent out of the first 1/3 of the book. Book doesn't get decent till Lake-town.

Also I really hope they don't make the wargs look retarded. I still have high hopes for this film, I will do my best to not go into it with a tainted vision from the trailer.
some of the reviews i read say that it is indeed more kid oriented with songs and silliness. BUT BUT BUT there is still the same amount of violence and asskicking as the LOTR trilogy so if you want beatdowns you shouldnt be disappointed.

Fyro

Golden Squire
some of the reviews i read say that it is indeed more kid oriented with songs and silliness. BUT BUT BUT there is still the same amount of violence and asskicking as the LOTR trilogy so if you want beatdowns you shouldnt be disappointed.
I want to be immersed in Tolkein's world in an adult themed, quality, adaption of The Hobbit. I am definitely not going to see "The Hobbit" for asskickings, violence, and beatdowns. Fortunately I have transcended our neanderthal desires.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i wasnt sure what you were looking for in this movie. i am somewhat confident that jackson can recreate what he did for LOTR in this trilogy but with a more kid friendly slant. i just hope that badass goblintown is in this version.
smile.png

smile.png

smile.png

smile.png