The Home Energy Thread

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
So how am I getting quotes of $20K for solar panels to offset 1000 kWh of monthly use, and everyone else is talking about $60K-80K installs?

Where do they hide the additional costs?

that could be pretty close down south where things are cheaper- maybe some hidden fees here and there. I thought you were talking about an off grid system with a battery bank ect.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Will see when a product is delivered with them. I really hope you're right. Battery technology is really holding a ton of things back.

New battery tech is the nuclear fusion of the electric world. It's always a few years away.
From their explanation putting it in a hybrid makes more sense in testing since the smaller battery is charged and discharged at way higher rates than in pure EVs. So they will get way more data this way in performance over pure EV on this new tech. Supposedly for the same weight in a pure EV these batteries could be pushing 1000 mile range.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
From their explanation putting it in a hybrid makes more sense in testing since the smaller battery is charged and discharged at way higher rates than in pure EVs. So they will get way more data this way in performance over pure EV on this new tech. Supposedly for the same weight in a pure EV these batteries could be pushing 1000 mile range.
Which is nonsense because they could test it in a lab destructively 1000x quicker than selling a product to hopefully "get data" regarding the battery.

They're putting it in a hybrid because their tech doesn't scale or is too expensive or wouldn't be competitive with current EV's, no other reason. If they could market a 1000 mile EV in 2025 they would corner the market.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
So how am I getting quotes of $20K for solar panels to offset 1000 kWh of monthly use, and everyone else is talking about $60K-80K installs?

Where do they hide the additional costs?
My 12.4kw system was $23,000 before tax incentive.

4 powerwalls would put it around $50k total.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Which is nonsense because they could test it in a lab destructively 1000x quicker than selling a product to hopefully "get data" regarding the battery.

They're putting it in a hybrid because their tech doesn't scale or is too expensive or wouldn't be competitive with current EV's, no other reason. If they could market a 1000 mile EV in 2025 they would corner the market.
Testing in real world is vastly superior to any lab testing. Jsut the fact they are putting this tech in a vehicle means it already went through years of lab testing.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Testing in real world is vastly superior to any lab testing. Jsut the fact they are putting this tech in a vehicle means it already went through years of lab testing.
Then their excuse doesn't make sense and they should just sell an EV. Unless of course the battery isn't as advertised...

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Could just be something as simple as "With regenerative braking, we are able to provide up to 1000 miles of range in our newest hybrid <insert vehicle name>."

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
I have a couple of neighbors that have roof panels... I should go ask them straight up how much it was and how much power it generates.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Could just be something as simple as "With regenerative braking, we are able to provide up to 1000 miles of range in our newest hybrid <insert vehicle name>."

more like you don't actually get that good of mileage but your horsepower is XYZ more

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I know the idea is to be completely off the grid - but a couple 300w panels and no battery would still take a huge chunk out of your electricity bill during the daytime. At least, thats what I have envisioned in the past.
Except you'd have to segregate your solar system. That's kind of the issue with using solar as a "world goes to shit" system. It has to tie into your house, which means it ties into the grid. That is, unless you invest heavily in batteries. That's why people are always bummed out when they find out that in a blackout, their solar system essentially shuts off so it doesn't send electricity up grid.

I'm also not sure you can do that without a battery. My system (in our van) has the inverter connected to the battery, with a separate connection to the MPPT charge controller. Branching off the charge controller are the panels and a 12v fuse box. It's hard to explain and I have a crazy diagram I drew when I was planning it. I'm definitely not an expert though. Seems like you might fry your inverter with the power fluctuations though.

• 1Like

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Except you'd have to segregate your solar system. That's kind of the issue with using solar as a "world goes to shit" system. It has to tie into your house, which means it ties into the grid. That is, unless you invest heavily in batteries. That's why people are always bummed out when they find out that in a blackout, their solar system essentially shuts off so it doesn't send electricity up grid.

I'm also not sure you can do that without a battery. My system (in our van) has the inverter connected to the battery, with a separate connection to the MPPT charge controller. Branching off the charge controller are the panels and a 12v fuse box. It's hard to explain and I have a crazy diagram I drew when I was planning it. I'm definitely not an expert though. Seems like you might fry your inverter with the power fluctuations though.
For off-grid, basically none of the commercial inverters would work unless you have batteries. There are a couple with some minor power output (there's a Sunny Boy one that can put out like 2000w off-grid... ) but most cannot.

Note you don't really have to have a "big" battery... even with one power wall you could probably keep your house running if you don't use HVAC. If you want to go full normal-use off-grid, you need to oversize your solar system by a lot to account for cloudy days and "average" usage, and you have to have a lot of batteries to span those cloudy days.

Fully off grid with "normal" usage is a tough and expensive use case. Emergency or short term usage off grid is a lot more economical.

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Emergency/short term is what I'm interested in as well. Especially under a skipping the hvac scenario.

One thing to consider with everyone fretting over break even time lines....... I think most people interested on the forum are more worried about global energy crisis/overall national crisis' in which case I think the question is whether you have the capability at all, not whether it's a positive financial spend.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
For off-grid, basically none of the commercial inverters would work unless you have batteries. There are a couple with some minor power output (there's a Sunny Boy one that can put out like 2000w off-grid... ) but most cannot.

Note you don't really have to have a "big" battery... even with one power wall you could probably keep your house running if you don't use HVAC. If you want to go full normal-use off-grid, you need to oversize your solar system by a lot to account for cloudy days and "average" usage, and you have to have a lot of batteries to span those cloudy days.

Fully off grid with "normal" usage is a tough and expensive use case. Emergency or short term usage off grid is a lot more economical.

The homesteaders who actually go full off grid that i've watched on youtube just don't live like us normies when it comes to power usage. If you're in a place with mild weather it really wouldn't cost that much or be that hard. Biggest problem is always AC and pumping water for well and irrigating your crops.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Do we even have any mild weather states? Its either cold as fuck in winter or hot as fuck in summer. Even here in MI we get 90s all the fucking time for 3 months. Plus the winters can be relentless. You go south a bit to say, Tenn, its not only hot but humid as fuck too. Maybe California? But who the fuck wants to live there in todays political climate and who can even afford anything but a shack on a .01 acre?

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Do we even have any mild weather states? Its either cold as fuck in winter or hot as fuck in summer. Even here in MI we get 90s all the fucking time for 3 months. Plus the winters can be relentless. You go south a bit to say, Tenn, its not only hot but humid as fuck too. Maybe California? But who the fuck wants to live there in todays political climate and who can even afford anything but a shack on a .01 acre?
In the US, it would only be the left coast.

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>

You can get a smart switch that senses power outages and swaps the solar on grid to an off grid. This is the system I am most interested in.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
You can get a smart switch that senses power outages and swaps the solar on grid to an off grid. This is the system I am most interested in.
It won't work like that because the solar inverters do not create their own microgrid, they sync to the sine wave produced by the grid. The only way for this to work is to get a commercial inverter that generates its own microgrid... and guess what - they require batteries.

Source: have solar system

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
It won't work like that because the solar inverters do not create their own microgrid, they sync to the sine wave produced by the grid. The only way for this to work is to get a commercial inverter that generates its own microgrid... and guess what - they require batteries.

Source: have solar system
Yeah they did have batteries included. It's actually called a hybrid inverter is what I was thinking of.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I put my home address into this when I bought it last May, someone here actually recommended it in the Home Buying Thread probably...

I put $250 a month average electricity usage, its obviously way higher in summer than winter, so whatever its close enough. Here is what I get.

1656369894985.png

1656369919953.png

1656369837695.png

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I put my home address into this when I bought it last May, someone here actually recommended it in the Home Buying Thread probably...

I put $250 a month average electricity usage, its obviously way higher in summer than winter, so whatever its close enough. Here is what I get.

View attachment 419355

View attachment 419356

View attachment 419354
I'd take those as like the loosest estimates possible... so many variables. I can't imagine anybody doing a 22kw installation, that is a HUGE system, I doubt the utility would even let you hook that up to the grid. Your production backfeeds through the transformers and they have limits. Usually about 15-16kw is the limit for utilities, but it depends.

My system is 12.4kw and cost $23k before incentives... so about $16k after incentives.

• 1Like