The Imitation Game (2014)

Chris

Potato del Grande
you sure that wasn't movie fantasy? cuz they were already looking at weather reports and they don't change much and they both have the same info

"it's fucking cloudy today, i wonder what the enigmaa thinks cloudy looks like"
Wasn't it that they could manually decode messages using weather reports to break that day's code, but it took a long time because of how complex the encoding and decoding processes were.

So they needed to invent computers to do it quickly enough to be useful?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Wasn't it that they could manually decode messages using weather reports to break that day's code, but it took a long time because of how complex the encoding and decoding processes were.

So they needed to invent computers to do it quickly enough to be useful?
it basically just eliminated possible combinations, i don't think they ever "broke" it, just eliminated gobbly Faulty Armor (yea i thought about it and typed it out anyway). they only had one thing to work on, the flaw in engima was that the encoded letter couldn't be the letter, so encoded "A" could never be decoded "A".

iannis

Musty Nester
basically german ciphers sucked. And germans didn't realize that they'd been broken.

Or if they did realize it, arrogance would not permit them to change. But, and it's been about 20 years since I read it, I seem to remember a long segment of Rise and Fall of the Third Reich dedicated to the question of "did they realize their ciphers were not secure?" and all the internal communication (which the nazi's kept) indicated that they did not.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
you sure that wasn't movie fantasy? cuz they were already looking at weather reports and they don't change much and they both have the same info

"it's fucking cloudy today, i wonder what the enigmaa thinks cloudy looks like"
No idea how it played out in reality but like I said the Hollywoodization of everything in this movie is beyond retarded.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
To expand a bit on what others have said:

The Poles had broken the early German Enigma, in ~1932-33, which was used in the prewar years. They even developed a clone Enigma box, called the Enigma Double, and had human computers to crunch the numbers and develop shortcuts, to work on the daily keys. In 1938, roughly a year before the invasion of Poland, the Germans added 2 more wheels to their Enigma machine. The Polish government could not or would not fund the project well enough to break the new complexity that these two added wheels introduced. German intelligence probably learned all this after taking Warsaw. At any rate, the high command acted as though they had no doubts about it unbreakability.

In the months before the start of WW2, the Poles invited UK and French teams to a meetings to unveil their work (share intelligence) with their allies. With the German Blitz of Poland the UK scrambled to send in a team to evacuate the Polish code breakers, ending up in neutral Romania (where they were shortly detained). After their eventual release from Romania, they traveled on to France, until it was overrun, by the Blitz. For some reason, after the fall of France, they worked under cover in Vichy France until 1942, when they Germans occupied Vichy. The remaining Polish team then made their way through Spain, on to Portugal, down to Gibraltar, and finally to England, where they joined the Polish Army in exile.

Building on information acquired from the Poles in 1938-39, the UK pored enough resources into the project, as to break the new code, albeit rather slowly (at Bletchley Park). The captured cipher books confirmed they were right, but the Germans changed books regularly and ultimately, the Germans didn't care if their books were captured, as they would shortly move to another one.

Turing's machine simply allowed the code to be broken faster, turning it into more easily actionable intelligence. Which means it helped save more Allied lives and kill more German ones (a.k.a. a major cog that helped win the war).

I haven't watched this movie in a long time, but as with most historical movies, they usually get the overarching things, like people, places, and dates correct, but everything else is made up Hollywood shit. I wouldn't put much stock in dialog and character arcs. Even movies that are seemingly ~90% accurate, like We Were Soldiers, drop the ball at the end and fuck up the account, as told by the book.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
zSqJ1qFq8NXFfi7JeIYMlzyR0dx.jpg

Title: The Imitation Game

Tagline: The true enigma was the man who cracked the code.

Genre: History, Drama, Thriller, War

Director: Morten Tyldum

Cast: Benedict Cumberbatch, Keira Knightley, Matthew Goode, Rory Kinnear, Allen Leech, Matthew Beard, Charles Dance, Mark Strong, James Northcote, Tom Goodman-Hill, Steven Waddington, Ilan Goodman, Jack Tarlton, Alex Lawther, Jack Bannon, Tuppence Middleton, Dominik Charman, James G. Nunn, Charlie Manton, David Charkham, Victoria Wicks, Andrew Havill, Laurence Kennedy, Tim van Eyken, Viv Weatherall, Miranda Bell, Tim Steed, Bartosz Wandrykow, Lese Asquith-Coe, Hayley Joanne Bacon, Ingrid Benussi, Nicholas Blatt, Jack Brash, Ancuta Breaban, Alex Corbet Burcher, Grace Calder, Richard Campbell, Daniel Chapple, Lisa Colquhoun, Alexander Cooper, Leigh Dent, Esther Eden, Sam Exley, Ben Farrow, Mike Firth, Hannah Flynn, James Gard, Guna Gultniece, Benjamin Hardie, Oscar Hatton, Luke Hope, Vera Horton, Vincent Idearson, Denis Koroshko, Debra Leigh-Taylor, Stuart Matthews, Amber-Rose May, Samantha Moran, Adam Nowell, Joseph Oliveira, Harry Leonard Parkinson, John Redmann, David G. Robinson, Alice Tapfield, Mark Underwood, Nicola-Jayne Wells, Josh Wichard

Release: 2014-11-14

Runtime: 113

Plot: Based on the real life story of legendary cryptanalyst Alan Turing, the film portrays the nail-biting race against time by Turing and his brilliant team of code-breakers at Britain's top-secret Government Code and Cypher School at Bletchley Park, during the darkest days of World War II.