The Imitation Game (2014)

Haus

<Silver Donator>
I agree that if you didn't like Cryptonomicon then reading it all the way through is only a sign that you lack the resolve to trust your own personal judgement of the material, of all the potential failings of the book what you did was easily worse.

Personally, I liked the book, it wasn't "best book evar" scale for me, but wasn't bad.

As for the movie, i'm very eager to see it. Reading about Alan Turing when I was a child was one of the reasons I got into IT in the first place.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Saw an advanced screening of this tonight, all around an excellent movie with good showings from each of the actors. Rather than doing a simple biography the movie tells the personal story and drama by using three time periods: 1950s, his work during WW2, and some childhood experiences. The way it was woven together helped the movie flow and give insights into what made Turing who he was. The screenwriter and Allen Leech were there afterwards to do a panel discussion and touch on the research and process that went into making the film. One of the things the writer mentioned was wanting to do some focus on Turing's post war work if they had another 30 minutes of screen time.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
hmm no after war stuff that sucks.. that was most of his best work it was crazy the stuff he was working on, with just basic electronics.

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
I agree that if you didn't like Cryptonomicon then reading it all the way through is only a sign that you lack the resolve to trust your own personal judgement of the material, of all the potential failings of the book what you did was easily worse.

Personally, I liked the book, it wasn't "best book evar" scale for me, but wasn't bad.

As for the movie, i'm very eager to see it. Reading about Alan Turing when I was a child was one of the reasons I got into IT in the first place.
I read a lot, so spending the time on a few hundred pages of trash isn't a big deal to me. Especially when it started off pretty good, and so many people have raved about it. I just pushed through it holding out a tiny bit of hope that it would redeem itself in the end. Nope. Ending was shit. Book was (as a whole) shit (with lots of parts that could have been salvaged and edited into maybe two or three good books instead of one messy kludge).

Haus

<Silver Donator>
I read a lot, so spending the time on a few hundred pages of trash isn't a big deal to me. Especially when it started off pretty good, and so many people have raved about it. I just pushed through it holding out a tiny bit of hope that it would redeem itself in the end. Nope. Ending was shit. Book was (as a whole) shit (with lots of parts that could have been salvaged and edited into maybe two or three good books instead of one messy kludge).
I will agree with you that the book really should have been 2-3 books in a series...

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
There was a lot of fucking filler in the back third of the book, for a book that did not need to be any longer than it already was.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Watched as much of this as I could stomach the other night. What a piece of shit. The "Hollywoodization" of everything is so blatant and ridiculous. I'm supposed to be believe that Turing had unilateral decision making authority whether to notify the navy of an imminent German attack? I have no idea how rooted in reality the development of the code breaking machine was, but it was fucking retarded. It supposedly took this "genius" Turing months to figure out in order for a computer to decrypt something, it needs to know what the fuck it's looking for? Turing being an insufferable faggot (literally) certainly didn't make it any more enjoyable to watch, though I guess that's what he was. And the "brilliant woman oppressed by society" shtick, fucking shoot me.

Garbage movie.

• 1Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sevens

Log Wizard
Watched as much of this as I could stomach the other night. What a piece of shit. The "Hollywoodization" of everything is so blatant and ridiculous. I'm supposed to be believe that Turing had unilateral decision making authority whether to notify the navy of an imminent German attack? I have no idea how rooted in reality the development of the code breaking machine was, but it was fucking retarded. It supposedly took this "genius" Turing months to figure out in order for a computer to decrypt something, it needs to know what the fuck it's looking for? Turing being an insufferable faggot (literally) certainly didn't make it any more enjoyable to watch, though I guess that's what he was. And the "brilliant woman oppressed by society" shtick, fucking shoot me.

Garbage movie.
You are such an edge lord

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
surprised i havent posted in this thread, i saw it, actually that might be why i didnt comment, it was nothing of note. it was basically Sherlock in WW2. super genius building a code breaking machine, but i recall, didnt he get a lucky break when the brits captured an enigma machine which basically did most of his job for him anyway?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
surprised i havent posted in this thread, i saw it, actually that might be why i didnt comment, it was nothing of note. it was basically Sherlock in WW2. super genius building a code breaking machine, but i recall, didnt he get a lucky break when the brits captured an enigma machine which basically did most of his job for him anyway?
naw what turing cracked was enigma 2.0, enigma 1.0 was cracked by the pollocks in ww1, so the lazy germans patched enigma 1.0 and started using that. they had access to a lot of enigma machines, it wasn't just one magical golden goose enigma that the brits captured, an enigma was on every boat and sub, so they got a few (but was of course still very top secret). turning had his own enigma to use and from that his machine just kept on trying to decode the daily weather reports.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
His lucky break comes when one of his "finance's" friends says something about having a connection to the guy whos communications she reads and then he realizes (after months of dicking around) that he should use words that he knows are in the communications ("Heil Hitler") as a key to figure out the rest of the decryption. It's really that stupid.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
naw what turing cracked was enigma 2.0, enigma 1.0 was cracked by the pollocks in ww1, so the lazy germans patched enigma 1.0 and started using that. they had access to a lot of enigma machines, it wasn't just one magical golden goose enigma that the brits captured, an enigma was on every boat and sub, so they got a few (but was of course still very top secret). turning had his own enigma to use and from that his machine just kept on trying to decode the daily weather reports.
well then the doc i watched about it must have been homophobes because they called the capture of that enigma machine as a "turning point" in the war.

Her most notable actions were the capture of a complete Enigma machine and codebooks from the German submarine U-110 in 1941

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
well then the doc i watched about it must have been homophobes because they called the capture of that enigma machine as a "turning point" in the war.

Her most notable actions were the capture of a complete Enigma machine and codebooks from the German submarine U-110 in 1941
I would imagine the Germans would do their best to destroy the machines if the shit hit the fan so it probably took some effort to collect them.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
His lucky break comes when one of his "finance's" friends says something about having a connection to the guy whos communications she reads and then he realizes (after months of dicking around) that he should use words that he knows are in the communications ("Heil Hitler") as a key to figure out the rest of the decryption. It's really that stupid.
yeah, i dont want to shit on the guy, but when you have the fucking answers thrown into your lap, its really not fair to take the fucking credit for "breaking the nazi code"

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
you sure that wasn't movie fantasy? cuz they were already looking at weather reports and they don't change much and they both have the same info

"it's fucking cloudy today, i wonder what the enigmaa thinks cloudy looks like"