The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Seriously, hard is a level of buttrape I was not prepared for.

I must be getting old.

Angry Amadeus_sl

shitlord
Well, I got to some mine-pit boss this morning that I just can't get past. A big drill type thing that just kicks my ass, millions of spiders spawning during the fight - I can't beat it on hard. About to re-roll.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well, I got to some mine-pit boss this morning that I just can't get past. A big drill type thing that just kicks my ass, millions of spiders spawning during the fight - I can't beat it on hard. About to re-roll.
I beat that pretty easily as a ranged, melee would maybe be harder but I don't know, the spiders do little dmg, the ghost kills them quickly, you activate the things and beat on the boss while it can't attack back, then just run around clearing spiders and clicking on the things again, make ghost go ethereal when the boss is spamming aoes so it doesn't die. Was actually fairly easy I've found, I tend to die more often to trash packs than to bosses. I'm rerolling as a melee though I kinda got bored of the ranged shit already.

Angry Amadeus_sl

shitlord
I beat that pretty easily as a ranged, melee would maybe be harder but I don't know, the spiders do little dmg, the ghost kills them quickly, you activate the things and beat on the boss while it can't attack back, then just run around clearing spiders and clicking on the things again, make ghost go ethereal when the boss is spamming aoes so it doesn't die. Was actually fairly easy I've found, I tend to die more often to trash packs than to bosses. I'm rerolling as a melee though I kinda got bored of the ranged shit already.
I'm playing on hard. The spiders slow you down as a melee, you can't activate the energizers. Game over man. Game over.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Don't mind Pyros, he says all games are easy.
tongue.png

tongue.png

Angry Amadeus_sl

shitlord
One negative - monsters don't respawn, so if you clear an area but have a tough time on a boss, better respect and find a way to kill it. Or quit.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
One negative - monsters don't respawn, so if you clear an area but have a tough time on a boss, better respect and find a way to kill it. Or quit.
Create an online game with that char, or join an online game. That'll get you more monsters to farm.

Angry Amadeus_sl

shitlord
The only option I have for my Online Character (Hard) is to "Go Online!" from the in-game menu, or "Play" from the start screen. There's no "Join Online Game" or whatever. The fuck am I missing?

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yea it's not an ideal system, but it's all there is for now. Be kinda funny if at some point the game reaches a breaking point and there are not enough new characters being made in order for their to mobs to kill.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Each character is tied to their own individual "story", so yea that's really the only way. You can't even join a public game is the host is further along than you in the story.

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Surprisingly good game! Not earth shattering, but has some cool aspects that I wish D3 would have incorporated a la the combining essences and enchanting weapons. Companion seems much more customizable as well but I've really only played a limited amount.

I like the setting but I never saw the movie or read any of the comics (I think Van Helsing originated in comics?). The opening map sequence really got me nostalgic for old monster tales. Very cool game.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Don't mind Pyros, he says all games are easy.
tongue.png
I don't, but I guess not everyone has the same standards for difficulty. Still I found the boss with the werewolves+caster+big guy in the marshes harder, and the fight with the giant spider before the drill boss also harder. I just killed the drill boss on my melee reroll on the last difficulty(heroic?) and only used one potion, might be a build issue but it was very easy, just a bit longer than my ranged char because the ranged was only on hard and has more burst.

As I said, I die more to trash than to bosses in this game, especially stupid hard to see shit like poison clouds or getting pulled due to the stun after the pull. So overall the difficulty is pretty high imo, had to do a lot of kiting even as melee, can still die at any point when not paying attention so it's pretty nice.

tongue.png

Angry Amadeus_sl

shitlord
I don't, but I guess not everyone has the same standards for difficulty. Still I found the boss with the werewolves+caster+big guy in the marshes harder, and the fight with the giant spider before the drill boss also harder. I just killed the drill boss on my melee reroll on the last difficulty(heroic?) and only used one potion, might be a build issue but it was very easy, just a bit longer than my ranged char because the ranged was only on hard and has more burst.

As I said, I die more to trash than to bosses in this game, especially stupid hard to see shit like poison clouds or getting pulled due to the stun after the pull. So overall the difficulty is pretty high imo, had to do a lot of kiting even as melee, can still die at any point when not paying attention so it's pretty nice.
It's definitely your build that determines the difficulty of the fight, for sure. I guess not everyone has the same standards for difficulty. I found the werewolves+caster+big guy in the marshes much easier (on Heroic), cleared it on the first attempt. The big spider was also just as easy.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
So finished the game as melee on heroic, god the last part of the game is so fucking retarded. You get packs of like 15 ranged enemies that use unavoidable elemental attacks, and in some of the areas they spawn in super large packs right at the entrance so you get camped as soon as you zone back in if you die. In one ink area I had to rez on the spot like 30times in an ink area because 2packs of wisps, including one with a named, were right at the entrance. Luckily since it was ink I could rez at last check point for free, so I would just rez, hit once, die instantly, rinse repeat, killing them over time. Overall balance was all over the place. Last boss on the other hand was a snooze fest, took a while but never was in any risk of dying.

For my build I took 1pt in lightning strike, 1 in the fire ring thing, then max parry and the heal power. These are cheap and you can't sustain the mana cost of increasing your nukes anyway. After that I got lightning and fire stuff to 5, unlock the additional effects. For lightning powerup I only took the stun one and only used it against specific hard hitting mobs, most of the time all my rage went into the fire ring powerups, I had it setup for 20%dmg reduction and +3secs duration, eventually changed it to 10%dmg reduction and 6secs duration though. After these I went for the melee attack that hits multiple times as well as a bunch of defensive passives, went for 5pt rage for reduced rage costs, 3points in the elemental resist, 1pt for 10% health. 3body 2 willpower every level. On the ghost I maxed the life drain first, and the mana drain 2nd but left it at like 4 or 5 because it wasn't increasing much and I had no mana issues, melee ghost so she attacks faster meaning she heals you more, 3body every level. Also 2nd trick was the mana shield, it's way OP, not leveling it is actually pretty good though so it doesn't drain all your mana. Aura was the one that heals on rage and life on hit for 2nd one.

Weapon scaling and spell scaling is kinda off too, if you don't get 4 or 5willpower per level up, around lvl 20 your weapon skills will do a ton more dmg than the willpower skills. Even with 2willpower per level, the triple attack(eventually 4attack) move was doing better aoe than 10points lightning strike.

Was a fun little game but polish in the last areas looked really bad in comparison and there's not enough customization I think, they could have used another tier of abilities as you unlock everything fairly quickly then you just max secondary shit which is fairly boring. I really liked the ghost and the story/dialogues, cool stuff there.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
This game is surprisingly good. Thanks for the recommendations.

Some of you guys having trouble with melee must be doing it wrong. As folks have said, Bash or Cleave with the healing boosts and some rage management and you're good to go (I'm using Bash, 100% Body, so 45% of my health is over 300 at lvl 13). I just killed the drill boss on Hard without using the electric gizmos. It took like 15 minutes because of all the spiders, but I think I only used one healing potion and only came close to dying once because I tried to ignore 30 spiders to beat on the boss a bit.