The Last Duel (2021)

Caliane

Period pieces aren't in vogue. it was always a tough sell.

Made worse as wokesters don't like history, and the anti-sjw people are sick and tired of historical pieces being rewritten with a modern lens, or outright having history be rewritten to inject "diversity". So neither side is going to get excited to watch without knowing what its going to be first.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
ADDEECE1-E965-4D8F-830C-C6EFDF5E9B91.jpeg

• 1Worf

Janx

<Silver Donator>
A movie about Theo Von playing Matt Damon playing a Knight with a mullet in the movie about some wicked smaat guys from Baaston determining who's apple's hasn't been pillaged unlawfully after killing Han Solo.

Was this good?

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

elidib

Vyemm Raider
I just finished it, I thought it was pretty good. It's a complex story, and the fight scenes were REALLY well done.

While I thought Matt and Ben (and Adam Driver) all did a fantastic job, I can see why others might have a hard time picturing them in the roles - they so often play modern characters that your brain automatically rejects them in the period setting.

• 2Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
the duel itself is very good. The acting in the 2 and a half hours leading up to it, was also very good.

The rape scenes are very long and feel even longer. I am not a person generally bothered by things in movie, and during the second time they are showing it, i was sitting there like, "I get it, can we move on? I really do not want to watch this any more", which is probably the point, but there is still a good chunk of movie to go to get any catharsis for what you had seen.
The duel was properly meaty and brutal.

Would have been a much better movie without Damon.

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
Interesting. Just got done watching Ridleys 1st movie, The Duelists. Was actually pretty good and not very well known surprisingly. Interesting he chose a very similar sort of movie.

• 1Solidarity

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Interesting. Just got done watching Ridleys 1st movie, The Duelists. Was actually pretty good and not very well known surprisingly. Interesting he chose a very similar sort of movie.

That is an excellent movie. I'm surprised I never knew it was one of his.

• 1Solidarity

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Period pieces aren't in vogue. it was always a tough sell.

Made worse as wokesters don't like history, and the anti-sjw people are sick and tired of historical pieces being rewritten with a modern lens, or outright having history be rewritten to inject "diversity". So neither side is going to get excited to watch without knowing what its going to be first.

Lol, as soon as I saw "Her story" and "She defied a nation" etc I nope'd out.

This is the type of movie I would fucking LOVE, but they had to put in some progressive nugget in there, so thats a negative.

And like the progressive stack of diversity is going to have any interest at all in this.

• 1Picard
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Lol, as soon as I saw "Her story" and "She defied a nation" etc I nope'd out.

This is the type of movie I would fucking LOVE, but they had to put in some progressive nugget in there, so thats a negative.

And like the progressive stack of diversity is going to have any interest at all in this.

Having seen it, I think that is more reflective of the marketing (what little there was), than the movie itself.

However, it does start with Damon's point of view (the story is told 3 times from each character's view point) and his would be the "wokest", but he also fancies himself a hero and a knight, so in his eyes, he was a great husband who believed his wife and stood for her honor. A literal white knight.

The men in the other 2 points of view are roughly as shitty as you would expect a man to be in the 1300s France.

There is one other scene towards the end, kind of, between some of the women, but its quick and serves more as a slight bright spot for the woman who just gets shit on the whole movie, before she gets shit on some more (if I remember the order of things correctly).

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
However, it does start with Damon's point of view (the story is told 3 times from each character's view point) and his would be the "wokest", but he also fancies himself a hero and a knight, so in his eyes, he was a great husband who believed his wife and stood for her honor. A literal white knight.

The men in the other 2 points of view are roughly as shitty as you would expect a man to be in the 1300s France.
I'd say her POV would be the "wokest" if only because it paints every man as a piece of shit. Not that they weren't pieces of shit - apparently everyone but Marguerite was a piece of shit.

Titular duel was good, rest of it was mostly meh, albeit well acted for the most part.

• 2Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, it definitely devolves into, "BELIEVE ALL WOMEN! WE SO POWERFUL!!" by the 3rd act. Prior to that it's pretty solid and the duel is great.

Screenplay was done by Damon and Afleck, so it's no wonder it's so woke.

• 2Like

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Movie is probably worth watching just because its one of those rare films where armor actually works and is somewhat historically accurate. Fucking loved it when arrows were bouncing off him, or when he'd take some ridiculous hit right in the chest and keep going only to use his armor like a damn battering ram.

As for the story...meh. There is just so much bullshit that its kind of laughable. The wife in reality risked little, burning at the stake for lying was almost unheard of and typically people were just flogged (And often women had that sentence suspended--kind of like today with most punishments for false accusations. The whole little scene where they speak about 'why would she speak up when she risks so much!' is just me too horse shit. Les Gris literally had a knife to his throat, and still denied it--he also didn't take an easily winnable trial in order to clear his name, if "risk" gives weight to truth than Les Gris wins, easily.) In reality the wife was probably powerless through the whole affair anyway. The idea that she was bravely telling her truth is laughable. Most likely Jean de Carrouges used his wife as a pawn to fuck over a political rival who was rising far faster than him.

The choice to have Le Gris's point of view have the rape in it, and then have him deny, is ridiculous (And again, clearly modern era commentary)--as if there is ZERO question the sex happened, and it was all about consent. In reality Les Gris had strong alibis showing he wasn't even in the area. In addition the whole order of events was a fairly clear set up to give the accusation enough weight for him to push through a duel (All the servants leaving ect)--which he had good reason to be confident about winning. (Dude was a beast).

Skip her point of view, go right to the duel.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Shame.

I'm sure the message Hollywood for from this is a mix of don't make movies about this time and those people, or it wasn't woke enough.

Instead of quote injecting ideology into movies.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Maybe I'm in the minority but I thought three points of view were full of shit with some truth added into their stories.

Zweischneid

Molten Core Raider
Well, the actual "truth" is unknown. Which is why novel and movie go by the multiple-PoV variant to begin with.

In theory, any one of the three could be 100% on point by accident. Or more likely, all three are pretty far from actual events.

woot!

Trakanon Raider
Enjoyed the movie, but damn Matt Damon really looked like Theo Von in there :emoji_laughing:
1638452043454.png

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Well, the actual "truth" is unknown. Which is why novel and movie go by the multiple-PoV variant to begin with.

In theory, any one of the three could be 100% on point by accident. Or more likely, all three are pretty far from actual events.
As far as the film goes, it is not unknown. When the title for chapter 3 says "the truth according to Marguerite", the words "the truth" linger after the rest fade. The film is clearly telling us "this is how it really went down".

• 1Like

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
But could Marguerite suck a golf ball through a garden hose? That's the question I need answered