The Last Duel (2021)

Mazim

Golden Knight of the Realm
Other than a few scenes where voice sounded like it was generated by a computer, and some questionable dialogue choices, this movie was worth the watch.

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
Just finished this. Great movie. Certainly worth a watch.

• 2Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 2 users

nu_11

As far as the film goes, it is not unknown. When the title for chapter 3 says "the truth according to Marguerite", the words "the truth" linger after the rest fade. The film is clearly telling us "this is how it really went down".
Move is well made. The actual duel felt very good; weighty and with constant "who will win" tension.

But Drinsic Drinsic hit the nail on the head. The movie is split into 3 stories: husband, raper, and raped woman. The pov from the woman, however, gets a special title card written as The Truth. Pure propaganda.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
Lol, as soon as I saw "Her story" and "She defied a nation" etc I nope'd out.

This is the type of movie I would fucking LOVE, but they had to put in some progressive nugget in there, so thats a negative.

And like the progressive stack of diversity is going to have any interest at all in this.
Dude you're being a fucking idiot in this case. How about watching the movie and THEN passing judgment? Like holy fuck you can't be this god damn ignorant. This is probably the best movie of 2021 and you won't even watch it because you're trying to be some sort of edgelord. Grow the fuck up bro.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 4 users

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Not a bad movie. Interesting to see if from the 3 different viewpoints. Very well shot and acted. Only downside is its a bit long but overall good movie.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Really well done movie. A bit long, but it kind of needs the run-time to tell the 3 acts. The subtle, or "not so subtle" differences from the three perspectives were all effective.

Like all Ridley Scott movies, it looks incredible. It is a 1300's period piece and it is bloody & grimy. The castles are awesome and the battles are brutal. The actors all did a great job and I'd say Adam Driver was the standout. Maugerite was really good also.

The Duel at the end is worth the wait.

• 3Like

spronk

FPS noob
affleck has a lot of crazy and interesting interviews this week, talking about alcoholism but also about how this is probably the last movie he did that will be in actual theaters

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I heard Ben on Bill Simmons podcast yesterday. They are talking about how the last time he did an interview with Bill, he was accused of being drunk… meanwhile, he sounds drunk on this one as well.

The guy is a bombastic ranter and raver, and seems 100% like a functioning-alcoholic. I dunno, its like an hour of how drama filled and crazy his life is and how he is a victim of the media. His head his so far up his own ass, he will probably never really address his issues.

But, he is talented and Last Duel is really good.

• 1Like

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
They go and include something cool like a rape scene and then ruin it by not including nudity? This is like the same horseshit that happened to Sansa. Definitely will not watch now.

Well with today’s definition of rape. It’s probably just a guy kissing a girl without her consent that’s why there’s no nudity.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Watched this last night with the gf, didn't know anything about it going in.

As mentioned, the actual duel was pretty fantastic. Completely brutal.

That said, the standout moments for me involved Trusting The Science(tm):

-In Act 3, the wife visiting the doctor who's explaining why she isn't getting pregnant. She's low on her four humours, as well as not enjoying the intercourse, obviously
-During the trial, the wife's cross-examination, one of the dudes is also explaining how you can't get pregnant unless you experience pleasure (little death) during intercourse. Another guy continues that line of reasoning to say "Obviously you could not have gotten pregnant if this had been a rape! This is JUST SCIENCE!" in a hilariously superior tone. As if he's explaining something so obvious that anyone should understand it.

I fucking laughed out loud so hard during the trial scene. So fucking apt, holy shit.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
I love well made period pieces, and this was one. Streaming on HBO now, no reason not to watch it.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I watched it tonight. Its a slow burn, but the design makes it that way. The duel was brutal. I was leaning toward the outcome once you see that one guy spends pretty much the entire film going to war and the other guy spends the entire film getting laid.

• 1Like

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just watched it. Really liked how they showed the situation from three different perspectives.

Would recommend.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users