The Last of Us

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Books? Where the fuck would you even finds books to teach you shit nowadays?
The University library that they showed in the most recent episode? That's only a few days rode away? A few days ride is absolutely worth it for something like that...

And hydroelectric dam technology doesn't roll over every two years. Likely the thing is pretty old.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
The University library that they showed in the most recent episode? That's only a few days rode away? A few days ride is absolutely worth it for something like that...

And hydroelectric dam technology doesn't roll over every two years. Likely the thing is pretty old.

The thing is it would have to be a renewable energy plant. You can't source the fuel for anything else. And even then renewable energy largely depends on... technology. If it was solar how are you creating new panels in case of failure? If wind... how are you even reparing those monoliths? And saying a few days ride to the university library in that kind of hellscape is reasonable and worth it? Sure, if you don't mind losing your people often.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Because its hard isn't a good argument. However improbable doesn't mean its impossible. I know in this day and age everything we see leads us to believe humans are worthless pieces of shit, but we can actually be pretty adaptable and resourceful.

Now I guess its all how the show presents it to you and you can explain a ton of shit away in any circumstance and its really how well the acting/directing/casting and writing is that makes it believable. But 20 years after society collapse its not unreasonable to have people working a power plant if that's the goal of 500 or so people. Improbable? Sure but not impossible.

I'm just thankful we can argue about these small things then the shit that was fed to us in Rings of Power.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Yup. Someone else figured it out before us. And 20 years is a long time to figure shit out in.

That's the point though. "someone" didn't figure it out. Thousands of people figured out thousands of parts of it. If you've been to college you know that you don't know how to do anything when you get out. All you have is some background information that will make you easier to train once you start a job. There's just as much and probably more that you still need to learn before you are even marginally competent at whatever job you took, and you will have a hard time finding that part at the university library. Now you're looking at learning all the jobs at a power plant, plus making shit that's been mothballed for 20 years (or more likely just abandoned 20 years ago) work with no electricity, no communication, no replacement parts, and no raw materials, and in the mean time you need to find a way to find food and shelter every day and to not be killed by people or animals etc.

Khane

Because its hard isn't a good argument. However improbable doesn't mean its impossible. I know in this day and age everything we see leads us to believe humans are worthless pieces of shit, but we can actually be pretty adaptable and resourceful.

Now I guess its all how the show presents it to you and you can explain a ton of shit away in any circumstance and its really how well the acting/directing/casting and writing is that makes it believable. But 20 years after society collapse its not unreasonable to have people working a power plant if that's the goal of 500 or so people. Improbable? Sure but not impossible.

I'm just thankful we can argue about these small things then the shit that was fed to us in Rings of Power.

It was a smart decision making it a hydro plant. That's good writing. That's kind of what we are talking about. The hurdles are much larger in basically any other power scenario

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
The thing is it would have to be a renewable energy plant. You can't source the fuel for anything else. And even then renewable energy largely depends on... technology. If it was solar how are you creating new panels in case of failure? If wind... how are you even reparing those monoliths? And saying a few days ride to the university library in that kind of hellscape is reasonable and worth it? Sure, if you don't mind losing your people often.
Huh? Yeah hydroelectric is renewable. And a great choice for renewable because you just have to stick a turbine under a waterfall and there's very few other moving parts. What's your point?

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
That's the point though. "someone" didn't figure it out. Thousands of people figured out thousands of parts of it. If you've been to college you know that you don't know how to do anything when you get out. All you have is some background information that will make you easier to train once you start a job. There's just as much and probably more that you still need to learn before you are even marginally competent at whatever job you took, and you will have a hard time finding that part at the university library. Now you're looking at learning all the jobs at a power plant, plus making shit that's been mothballed for 20 years (or more likely just abandoned 20 years ago) work with no electricity, no communication, no replacement parts, and no raw materials, and in the mean time you need to find a way to find food and shelter every day and to not be killed by people or animals etc.
You don't know how to do anything when you get out because you didn't actually pay attention to most of what was in your textbooks, you just made sure to take lecture notes.

And again. Any decently run facility will have replacement parts in stock ready to go on site.

And again. We are talking 20 years. If there's a single thing you can't figure out with 20 years of dilligence and textbooks then idk dude. I feel bad for you.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It was a smart decision making it a hydro plant. That's good writing. That's kind of what we are talking about. The hurdles are much larger in basically any other power scenario
Self contained mobile Nuclear reactors are now in prototype phase. If they go into full production, they would be ideal for the end of the world!

In regards to the show/game, they would need to have found some in storage, and not active, as they are shooting for a 20 year lifespan.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
You don't know how to do anything when you get out because you didn't actually pay attention to most of what was in your textbooks, you just made sure to take lecture notes.

And again. Any decently run facility will have replacement parts in stock ready to go on site.

And again. We are talking 20 years. If there's a single thing you can't figure out with 20 years of dilligence and textbooks then idk dude. I feel bad for you.

None of this matters, all your lubricants have gone bad and no longer work, even if the dam had one gajillion gallons in storage, it's all bad.

No, you can't "skim" the good stuff off the top, that shit has a half life, it won't work and when you try to use it your turbines will seize and your done.

I bet you think you can recreate an exact replica of a modern pencil, from scratch, in 20 years as well.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Bullshit. I remember people asking my in my senior year as an electrical engineer if I could repair TVs and VCRs or something like that. I didn't know the first thing about TVs or VCRs and neither does anyone else coming out of engineering school. You know how to do basic math, you understand basic circuits, and maybe you have a beginner's understanding of a couple of software programs and programming languages. If you want to be a VCR repairman, you still have to learn everything about VCRs, and if you want to work in a power plant, you're even further away from being qualified. Textbooks teach you general information. There's nothing in a textbook that will help you troubleshoot that big rack of electronics that was posted in here a few pages back.

Khane

Huh? Yeah hydroelectric is renewable. And a great choice for renewable because you just have to stick a turbine under a waterfall and there's very few other moving parts. What's your point?

You're kind of dumb arent you?

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
None of this matters, all your lubricants have gone bad and no longer work, even if the dam had one gajillion gallons in storage, it's all bad.

No, you can't "skim" the good stuff off the top, that shit has a half life, it won't work and when you try to use it your turbines will seize and your done.

I bet you think you can recreate an exact replica of a modern pencil, from scratch, in 20 years as well.
Humans have been refining oil since years were counted in triple digits bruv.

Worst case scenario I know how to run a still. Never done a full column fractional distillation but with the right apparatuses I could definitely do it. I have the basic knowledge required already.

Last edited:

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Bullshit. I remember people asking my in my senior year as an electrical engineer if I could repair TVs and VCRs or something like that. I didn't know the first thing about TVs or VCRs and neither does anyone else coming out of engineering school. You know how to do basic math, you understand basic circuits, and maybe you have a beginner's understanding of a couple of software programs and programming languages. If you want to be a VCR repairman, you still have to learn everything about VCRs, and if you want to work in a power plant, you're even further away from being qualified. Textbooks teach you general information. There's nothing in a textbook that will help you troubleshoot that big rack of electronics that was posted in here a few pages back.
Yeah but if you had one single "TV repair" manual from the library you could have worked it out right? Maybe not in a single day but certainly in a few weeks to few months AT MOST you could have developed solid TV repair skills?

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Humans have been refining oil since years were counted in triple digits bruv.

Worst case scenario I know how to run a still. Never done a full column fractional distillation but with the right apparatuses I could definitely do it. I have the basic knowledge required already.

Hydro turbine lubricant is specially formulated and expires in two years

your also not going to be drilling and then refining oil, especially in bumfuck colorado

you beclown yourself with this nonsense

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>

your also not going to be drilling and then refining oil, especially in bumfuck colorado

you beclown yourself with this nonsense
You can refine petroleum products that have begun to expire doofus. It would take many decades for the oil to degrade so much that the remaining good stuff couldn't be salvaged via distillation.

Just like how the gas they're siphoning from cars is still good enough to run a truck even if you gotta refill every 100 miles. Which was a plot point in the show if you recall.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Look, I DO know how to behave like a "normal" human being if I want to. So it should be obvious I don't actually give a fuck about if you guys have a high opinion of me. So believe me when I say this -- I'm capable of far more than you guys realize. And you guys have very fucking little confidence in yourselves if you think I'm talking like I'm some super impressive big shit. If you guys pulled your heads out your asses and applied yourselves I'm sure any one of you could get the shit running with some help after TWENTY FUCKING YEARS.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
And yes it is possible for me to care about you guys without giving a shit if you guys care about me lol

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Remember kids, knowing about Dunning-Kruger does not make you immune from Dunning-Kruger.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Cybsled

The greatest singular motivator for humans to get shit done is when they have to and the consequences if they don't are they get screwed

Hydroelectric is pretty old technology - 19th century. If they're using an older system (which is likely), then they can probably get by with more primitive lubricants I suspect

Also, you don't have to drill for oil right away. Crude oil doesn't go bad - if you could find some, then you're in good shape. And even if you couldn't find any, you can make substitute lubricants for machines.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user