The Last of Us

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
This is great - ep 3 was about as good as it gets for the gay propaganda relationship - really it was about as silly as him grabbing a boat to use as a trailer, vs you know, getting a trailer. Or him being a serious survivalist who obviously studied and prepared for years if not decades, standing in the middle of the road with no cover to fend off raiders who were luckily more retarded them him. Real walking dead vibes in that 3 minutes. Other than that this is some quality tv.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Really well done episode. I was in the camp of expecting the blood to be shed when the piano scene was going on. Gay, straight doesn't matter from a craft point of view. It was just good television.

I am honestly shocked how many good ratings this episode got in this thread. You fuckers really are getting gay in your old age.

Ps.. if you didn't want the behind the scenes, it's worth a watch.

Pps.. this episode actually had me thinking how I would react in the same situation. I probably would just be trusting of no one and end up alone until the inevitable loneliness brought me to a depressing end. Pretty dark actually. And this is how I know it was good television, it got me thinking beyond the show.

• 10Like
Reactions: 9 users

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
While I cringed at the gay touching shit, I actually felt something for these characters. That's good writing.

Also I'm now gay.

• 6Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 7 users

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
All I could think of was how much are they paying Swanson to put his mouth on another dudes mouth. God damn disgusting and as already said, they took it way too far.

What percent of the audience is truly comfortable seeing men being intimate with each other? Most women don’t even want to see that shit.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
All I could think of was how much are they paying Swanson to put his mouth on another dudes mouth. God damn disgusting and as already said, they took it way too far.

What percent of the audience is truly comfortable seeing men being intimate with each other? Most women don’t even want to see that shit.
It's OK to be disgusted by something and also appreciate it. Art is cool like that.

I don't think they went too far. If I thought like that by that logic I'd never get to see gratuitous nudity and violence in a show.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
She had like 6 minutes of screen time.
Actually she had just as much screen time as forehead. First episode she had 10-15 minutes more, second episode they shared and third episode had forehead for 10-15 minutes. Plus you said that a woman on screen gets criticism, you didn't say a woman that spends more than X minutes on screen gets it. So where are these posts you were talking about?

• 1EyeRoll

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Possible preview of episode 4:

images

• 3Worf
  • 1Double Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Bodhy

Karen
<Banned>
When people were raging about Ellie being a lezzo back at BB.com, I actually argued homosexual relationships might actually be more common in the apocalypse. Scarcer population, less choice of partners, desperation might drive people to extremes.

However, I'm disappointed we won't get to see Bill and Joel and Ellie take on the bloater.

SeanDoe1z1

lot of things broke my disbelief (yeah I know…), obviously not far from a population center yet untouched for years on end. Even presumably throwing short wave radio broadcast out to to the world to the point randoms can find them. little things go far on that type of shit to not feel like the walking dead, but whatever. Utopia gonna utopia.

surprised that gets a pass here but I’m pretty desperate for anything relatively good lately.

They can do a lot with Ellie, probably hard to convey annoying game prop mechanic into real life, definitely over shot it so far. I wonder an alternate universe where Ellen page actually plays this role…

The whole eco location thing not really discussed or I just missed that part early on.

• 1Like

Dalien

Registered Hodor
I thought the episode was fantastic, even if it was gross watching Ron Swanson make out.

I'm pretty convinced from the pacing so far that Season 1 is going to cover the entire first game. Season 2 will be the second game (which will take a lot of work to make good).

Season is 9 episodes:

1 - Intro/Sarah dying/Getting to Ellie in the present
2 - Getting Ellie to the capitol/Tess dying
3 - Bill's Town

4 - Pittsburgh/Hotel
5 - Pittsburgh/Sam and Henry
6 - Montana/The Dam
7 - University
8 - Winter/Ellie
9 - Salt Lake City/Ending

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This is great - ep 3 was about as good as it gets for the gay propaganda relationship - really it was about as silly as him grabbing a boat to use as a trailer, vs you know, getting a trailer. Or him being a serious survivalist who obviously studied and prepared for years if not decades, standing in the middle of the road with no cover to fend off raiders who were luckily more retarded them him. Real walking dead vibes in that 3 minutes. Other than that this is some quality tv.
That scene with him standing in the middle of the road had me yelling at the TV. All the guy needed was a long rifle with a scope and he could have played duck hunt with those raiders. I am thinking that scene was more about him being "The man" of the relationship and showing that he protects at all costs. The piano scene was what made the episode work. I also thought it was going to be a sweet moment followed by a thud and some blood flow.

Pps.. this episode actually had me thinking how I would react in the same situation. I probably would just be trusting of no one and end up alone until the inevitable loneliness brought me to a depressing end. Pretty dark actually. And this is how I know it was good television, it got me thinking beyond the show.
That is the truth and to a degree a very real and sad aspect of that kind of situation. We have a structure of society that helps to protect us from people who will do harm if left unchecked. Since we know this, we are much more easily able to trust people initially because society has our back. What happens when that structure collapses? I disagree with you. I think you would feel the need to trust people because you would most likely die alone a lot faster. The episode was a good episode but lacked the realism of how raiders would have worked. He could have stopped some small bands but eventually he would have run into the smarter groups that expected traps to exist and would work the system out.

Numbers are the only way you really survive beyond 1 year so you have to be able to trust a person. Now that does not mean that it will work out. Psychopaths would have the same chance of surviving and perhaps even a better chance as morale means little to them. The law no longer protects the decision. Trust would have to be earned a lot more. Having the ability to read people with just a few words and gestures would go a long way towards a person's ability to survive around those who would hit you on the back of the head while you played a piano.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Janx

<Silver Donator>
lot of things broke my disbelief (yeah I know…), obviously not far from a population center yet untouched for years on end. Even presumably throwing short wave radio broadcast out to to the world to the point randoms can find them. little things go far on that type of shit to not feel like the walking dead, but whatever. Utopia gonna utopia.

surprised that gets a pass here but I’m pretty desperate for anything relatively good lately.

They can do a lot with Ellie, probably hard to convey annoying game prop mechanic into real life, definitely over shot it so far. I wonder an alternate universe where Ellen page actually plays this role…

The whole eco location thing not really discussed or I just missed that part early on.
They kind of covered eco location when joel/ellie/tess were starting out. She was asking Joel about the different types of infected and mentioned something to the effect of "I hear some can even use sound to locate you like a bat".

• 1Like

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I thought that was why clickers clicked? That was the echo location system. Did I misunderstand that?

• 2Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
All I could think of was how much are they paying Swanson to put his mouth on another dudes mouth.
have you seen his woodshop?

he needs to a way to keep those exotic woods funded

• 1Worf

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
That is the truth and to a degree a very real and sad aspect of that kind of situation. We have a structure of society that helps to protect us from people who will do harm if left unchecked. Since we know this, we are much more easily able to trust people initially because society has our back. What happens when that structure collapses? I disagree with you. I think you would feel the need to trust people because you would most likely die alone a lot faster. The episode was a good episode but lacked the realism of how raiders would have worked. He could have stopped some small bands but eventually he would have run into the smarter groups that expected traps to exist and would work the system out.

Numbers are the only way you really survive beyond 1 year so you have to be able to trust a person. Now that does not mean that it will work out. Psychopaths would have the same chance of surviving and perhaps even a better chance as morale means little to them. The law no longer protects the decision. Trust would have to be earned a lot more. Having the ability to read people with just a few words and gestures would go a long way towards a person's ability to survive around those who would hit you on the back of the head while you played a piano.
There is a decent amount of fiction literature that deals with this. How the loneliness eventually chips away at the defense mechanisms to not trust others. Early Walking Dead pretty much had everyone trusting everyone who wasn't a walker at first sight out of desperation to survive.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There is a decent amount of fiction literature that deals with this. How the loneliness eventually chips away at the defense mechanisms to not trust others. Early Walking Dead pretty much had everyone trusting everyone who wasn't a walker at first sight out of desperation to survive.
I think it helps having a common enemy. A normal pandemic would not have that kind of link. Fiction has that advantage where only a military invasion could have a similar feel.

• 1Like

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
If you've ever done long solo hikes or camped remotely alone you know that even after a few weeks you'd give almost anything for a conversation. Most of us aren't built to be alone. When we were watching the first thing I said to my wife was that after 4 years alone there is no way he is letting the guy leave without an actual conversation.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>

Most men nowadays are afraid to admit their repulsion. As wombat/gerbil/whoever said, the physiological response is akin to seeing maggots.

This episode was certainly constructed very well, and told a good side story. It would have benefited greatly from removing the kissing and intimacy scenes. Implying sexual activity but not showing it has been in the filmmaker toolkit for decades.

Since they went the other route, I give it a 2/10 faggot shit review. So fucking tiresome.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users