The Last of Us

Khane

Got something right about marriage
This is a more complex topic. As Ronne said it is covered in World War Z. In this case we would need to break from our biases in that we, as nerds, understand what Zombies and "zombie rules" are and would act with that knowledge.

Being as Zombie Virus isn't real and most people are not nerds they would not know this nor would they act in accordance with zombie rules. People would assume that they could help their sick loved ones in some way and they would try to without understanding the threat in their midst. Confused neighbors would similarly try to help or check it out with some curiosity before also succumbing to a threat they did not understand. A wounded person infected with the virus but within the 48 hour incubation time would flee to safety. Full of other vulnerable people and it would continue.

Most world governments and authorities would lack the will to take the appropriate response before it was too late. That being start headshotting these fuckers right now and then torch the bodies. People with money in other countries that fell to the virus first would use their money to pay off smugglers or airlines and flee to the safer nations and bring the virus with them. Beginning the cycle again.

Etc.

If people don't understand how contagious viruses/diseases work and can quickly turn into pandemics after the past few years there is no hope for them.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Indeed. The fruits of the DIE initiative.

Also, at this point, the 'strong' female lead is a fucking meme and I loathe those insufferable characters. I'm not specifically referring to Ellie because she's vulnerable and clearly understands her limitations, but of course she has to 'reject' men on some axis to maintain female 'empowerment.'

The "tiresome" reaction couldn't be more fitting. Potentially great stories are poisoned by idiots that must shoehorn in the 'message' and I'm just so over it.
Yeah in the game this was the first thing Druckmann wrote entirely on his own (not rewriting the female rival he drove out of Naughty Dog's material) and it shows. Its MUCH more like the second game than the one it is supposed to be part of and the entire thing is basically done to canonize the lesbo fans wanting Ellie to be gay. Not my take, Druckmann literally stated this publicly himself. Not at all surprising that it is the worst episode of the show so far. Expect all of any existing Season 2 to be like this episode, btw. Druckman concocted this shit around the time he cemented his victory by attaining total control of ND and was soaking up all the praise from TLoU 1's massive success.

In the game, the only decent part of it was Ellie dealing with the lunatics in the mall in the winter in the present of the story, and that was actually mostly cut content from the original game they ran out of time to finish. The whole firefly black lesbo BFF thing was added whole cloth by Druckmann to get more praise from alphabet people and was even more eye rolling than in that episode, particularly since in the game they are both like 12 years old and no actual prior hint of Ellie being gay had ever been mentioned. The extra stuff for the show is just more Druckmann simping for Sarkeesian again, which is how Tranbro Gigantor was created as a protagonist in part two in the first place. Enjoy the last two episodes, because that is all the good that will be squeezed out of this IP.

• 1Like

sliverstorm

Trakanon Raider
(not rewriting the female rival he drove out of Naughty Dog's material)
Curious how you know this? I always wanted to learn more about the Amy Hennig thing. I sort of assumed she left after Uncharted 3's narrative didn't live up to 2's and then 4 was apparently not on a good course, but sounds like you have a deeper knowledge of the happenings. I had always thought TLOU was 100% Druckmann, so if that was a play on his part, it completely worked.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
There are a number of sources on how it went down, but I think Critical Drinker's video summarizes the whole situation the best I have seen. A lot of dirty laundry got aired during the final run of the production of the second game. Even the super woke voice actors, like Troy Baker, kind of flinched at a lot of the shit.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
PS- Hennig did a lot of the core story work on the base game before she got pushed out. The fact that Druckmann retconned the entire ending in the sequel pretty much proves that.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
ZZzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZzz.

I'm starting to feel that the opening episodes and the hopes of using global events (like the Malaysia event) as interesting backstory filler was a lure for what is really going to be "LGBT Zombie simulator 2000".

True Love getting zombie stomped at that exact moment had to be one of the most predictable, cliche'd, plot events in cinematic history

Note to writers: Since nobody seems capable of headshots, please introduce the producers to the weapon called a "shotgun".

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Really. No weapon is more iconic for zombie shooting than a shotgun and from a post apoc standpoint they are among the easiest to maintain and fab ammo for.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I hate when shows act with no realism.

Yes, lets stitch a belly wound up with no sterilization. Joel would have at least considered cauterizing the wound using that fire they showed. The man is 56. A regular bacterial infection would easily kill him given the size and depth of that wound. We will not bother discussing internal bleeding as that idea is just madness.

Liking this show less and less now. Its becoming devoid of any actions that would be realistic. I get that the show is not real. I assume though, that the writer would like viewers to be able to associate our world with that world. Recent episodes have stepped away from that kind of association but have not adequately discussed what rules are different from our world.

The lights and noise in that mall would have been noticed. The amount of power suddenly being drained from whatever power station is being used, would have been noticed. A person who is living in that mall, in that kind of world, would have scouted out the entire area within that mall before using it as a base. Since that zombie was "Attached" to the wall, I am presuming that zombie had been there a descent amount of time. It would take a full day to go area by area to have made sure no Wall attached zombies were there. Given the world as it is, playing things that make a lot of noise would also not be a thing for anybody who lived in that kind of world.

Given all that, I did not mind Ellie's story as I figured they would go back to it at some point. I do just kind of wish shows would stop jumping back in forth through time. It made good sense for the world events that lead up to the moment but it takes away from the main story if right at a critical point, we go back in time.....

Can you imagine if the video game had actually been like this show?

"When do we actually get to kill zombies??" That happens every 45 minutes. We hope you enjoy playing the game.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
the episode really grew the character of ellie

you feel sad that she only lez'd out once and it was with a chick as ugly as riley

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Krowbar

Molten Core Raider
Horrible episode, ended up browsing and glancing at my phone half the time. Almost the entire middle story was actually pointless.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Xevy

Log Wizard
Was waiting for her to shoot her friend when she changes. Guessing that's the next episode. No Diva Cup wound mending either. Sad.

Szlia

PS- Hennig did a lot of the core story work on the base game before she got pushed out. The fact that Druckmann retconned the entire ending in the sequel pretty much proves that.
By all accounts, Amy Hennig had absolutely nothing to do with The Last of Us. She was working on Uncharted 3 and then Uncharted 4 until her departure and that game was in part rewritten and then completed by Neil Druckmann, Josh Scherr and others. Note that both were on the writing team of Uncharted 1 and 2, but not on 3. If memory serves, Druckmann is notably credited for the Tibetan village sequence in Uncharted 2.

• 1Like

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I hate when shows act with no realism.

Yes, lets stitch a belly wound up with no sterilization. Joel would have at least considered cauterizing the wound using that fire they showed. The man is 56. A regular bacterial infection would easily kill him given the size and depth of that wound. We will not bother discussing internal bleeding as that idea is just madness.

Liking this show less and less now. Its becoming devoid of any actions that would be realistic. I get that the show is not real. I assume though, that the writer would like viewers to be able to associate our world with that world. Recent episodes have stepped away from that kind of association but have not adequately discussed what rules are different from our world.

The lights and noise in that mall would have been noticed. The amount of power suddenly being drained from whatever power station is being used, would have been noticed. A person who is living in that mall, in that kind of world, would have scouted out the entire area within that mall before using it as a base. Since that zombie was "Attached" to the wall, I am presuming that zombie had been there a descent amount of time. It would take a full day to go area by area to have made sure no Wall attached zombies were there. Given the world as it is, playing things that make a lot of noise would also not be a thing for anybody who lived in that kind of world.

Given all that, I did not mind Ellie's story as I figured they would go back to it at some point. I do just kind of wish shows would stop jumping back in forth through time. It made good sense for the world events that lead up to the moment but it takes away from the main story if right at a critical point, we go back in time.....

Can you imagine if the video game had actually been like this show?

"When do we actually get to kill zombies??" That happens every 45 minutes. We hope you enjoy playing the game.

Yeah Ellie going "hero mode" had me think she was gonna find a fully stocked medkit or something, only to see her go to town with a needle and thread on a dirty rusty shank wound, which was guffaw inducing. I'm pretty sure they stole this technique from the Antifa BLM rioter "medics" that would go around and tourniquet-strangle any and every wound they could find.

Also, you'd think that if the mall was packed with zombies, FEDRA would just burn the whole fucking thing to the ground rather than let it be an obvious risk of reinfection.

• 1Like

Xevy

Log Wizard
There was one zombie and it looked very dead. I think it's episode one you see the guy in the tunnels with Tess and Joel and the dude is melded to the wall. Gave off a bit of that vibe so if people saw it they probably wouldn't think anything of it. You wouldn't burn down a mall for a billion reasons. One, resources left behind (electronics, clothes, misc sporting goods and utility that weren't already pillaged), two it's fucking huge and you're not going to demolish millions of square feet because there's infected in it especially attached to the rest of the QZ, and three burning down buildings with infected in general seems to be a last ditch effort not an effective strategy.

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Horrible episode, ended up browsing and glancing at my phone half the time. Almost the entire middle story was actually pointless.
This. Actually, watching the show now and reading this thread.

This episode is fucking terrible. Makes me glad I didn't splurge on a Playstation to play this game at some point. I'm starting to wonder if the people praising the game's story aren't retarded?

In fact, looking back at the show so far, the only good part has been that opening sequence. The rest has just been blue balls for a post apocalyptic survival show that hasn't paid off. Hell, we don't even get the interesting bits because they skip 3 months into the future so it doesn't even seem like anyone has to try. I'd almost say this is worse than Walking Dead.

An hour of teenage drama with terrible dialogue and acting sure isn't going to make me think this is a worthwhile show.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There was one zombie and it looked very dead. I think it's episode one you see the guy in the tunnels with Tess and Joel and the dude is melded to the wall. Gave off a bit of that vibe so if people saw it they probably wouldn't think anything of it. You wouldn't burn down a mall for a billion reasons. One, resources left behind (electronics, clothes, misc sporting goods and utility that weren't already pillaged), two it's fucking huge and you're not going to demolish millions of square feet because there's infected in it especially attached to the rest of the QZ, and three burning down buildings with infected in general seems to be a last ditch effort not an effective strategy.
That zombie would have been hacked up to verify death. If you have to consider it could be alive, you are going to make sure it is not. Removing the head would be easy to do.

Fadaar

That guy

If you barricade the entrances/exits to a mall properly it also doubles as a very very large wall, so to speak. Not like it would take a ton of effort to stuff cars into every doorway or drop a shipping container sideways in front of them. Burning it to the ground also runs the risk of the structure collapsing and creating a big ass mass of unpredictable terrain.

Dalien

Registered Hodor
This. Actually, watching the show now and reading this thread.

This episode is fucking terrible. Makes me glad I didn't splurge on a Playstation to play this game at some point. I'm starting to wonder if the people praising the game's story aren't retarded?

In fact, looking back at the show so far, the only good part has been that opening sequence. The rest has just been blue balls for a post apocalyptic survival show that hasn't paid off. Hell, we don't even get the interesting bits because they skip 3 months into the future so it doesn't even seem like anyone has to try. I'd almost say this is worse than Walking Dead.

An hour of teenage drama with terrible dialogue and acting sure isn't going to make me think this is a worthwhile show.

The entire episode was the "Left Behind" DLC and not attached to the main story. Yeah, it was fucking awful and I have no idea why they decided to devote an entire episode to it. Also they cut out the actual good parts of the DLC (Ellie present day scavenging a zombie infested mall to find medical supplies for Joel). Instead we got her finding a thread and needle in a drawer. They could've replaced this episode with Ron Swanson giving a thousand blow jobs and it would've been better.

The lack of zombies has been pretty disappointing, because there are tons of them in the game. Maybe they blew their entire CGI budget on the Bloater scene a couple weeks ago (which was actually badass).

With that said, the upcoming episode should deliver. There's enough content in that section of the game that they could've spent two episodes on it instead of wasting one on "teens in the mall". The final episode should be good as well assuming they don't fuck it up somehow.

• 1Like

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Unfortunately this episode was unavoidable with Druckman being so involved in the show - that entire DLC was his baby and there's 0 chance he wouldn't have demanded the whole thing be in the show so.

I knew it was gonna be boring and boy was it. Skipped fully half of it I think? I really hope it's worth it though and they don't bitch out on the winter stay while Joel is laid up and the solo Ellie stabbing everyone bits.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The thing that irritates me about this show is how the writing contradicts what the premise of the show is supposed to be. The Last of Us is supposed to be a zombie like end of the world kind of show based around the actions of the human race. It then narrows the focus to how two people survive in that harsh world while trying to save the human race.

Instead we are getting multiple episodes that revolve around romance. Romance should be a portion of an episode that is understood based around the actions of the characters. The dialogue with the acting would hint at more than just a friendship. It would be implied. Romance should not be entire episodes. I would not expect Romeo and Juliet to suddenly have zombies come out of nowhere and start to rip apart the two families(I might watch that though). I would not expect a disease to start killing off the two families. Romeo and Juliet is a tragic romance that follows two characters as they fall in love despite being from two opposing families.

The show has a few descent episodes with one good episode up to this point. You could literally skip this last episode and little would be lost.