The Last of Us

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
People who played the game on easy mode could see the whole story without a challenge. If you bumped it up one level from default it felt just right to me

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Anyone that watches this agrees that an 18 year old tranny beats a fit 45 year old male in personal combat

I will gladly prove these people wrong. Any day.

Not trying to Humble Brag here because no one gives a shit and there are probably a lot of tougher people on the forum (former military etc), but I did martial arts back in my day. For a long-ass time. Two of my exes were black belts (one in the same field as me, one in Karate) and they both thought they could beat me in a fight. They were 100% convinced. One of them had been doing it longer than I had, and the other was my height. Both were in extremely good shape and could run a lot further than me at a time. I went like 8-0 against the first one and like 33-0 against the second one, before they gave up and didn't want to spar me anymore. That's right, I easily beat up several women. Pretty impressive stuff right?

My point in all of this is that they were both 100% sure they could beat me in a fight before they tried. And they were both really good fighters, not gonna take that away from them. But even debatably being more skilled (one of them definitely was), it didn't matter, neither could do it no matter what they tried. UFC has weight divisions for a very good reason. The only chance they had was to outlast me, since they had more gas in the tank than I did (even at my best shape I've never had the best cardio or stamina due to being semi-asthmatic), but I always ended it before I ran out of gas.

Marvel movies have everyone convinced that women can trounce men in single-combat with ease, which is probably why so many people think it's okay to put men in women's prisons. They probably think women can defend themselves no problem. Well, not against a man who works out at all. Just the way it is. I wish they could beat us up, rape would cease to exist pretty fast. Actually I don't wish that, women being as testosterone'd up as men would probably make the world an even more violent place.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Nah, testosterone has wonderful effects on women. The world wouldnt be a violent place. Women would just be hairier and we'd all be fucking all the time.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
The impression I've gotten from this thread is that the show followed the game plot pretty well?

If that's the case, am I just missing something? I heard for years that the story was phenomenal. The show was...passable. It didn't blow my socks off. So did they leave some stuff out that develops the characters or story more? Or was it just over hyped?

Edit: Posted this after only reading a few posts from the finale. Seems like this was sort of addressed by a few people, in that it absolutely was a failure of an adaptation. At least, I think.
It both followed the plot and failed to adapt it sufficiently. Without the character development between the major plot points that were lifted from the game verbatim, those plot points do not carry the same emotional weight. And that's a description coming from people that have played the game, so there's already the subconscious association with the impact those scenes have in the game.

This always should've been 2 seasons for the first game, and that awesome shit in Kansas City should've been the finale.

• 2Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
It both followed the plot and failed to adapt it sufficiently. Without the character development between the major plot points that were lifted from the game verbatim, those plot points do not carry the same emotional weight. And that's a description coming from people that have played the game, so there's already the subconscious association with the impact those scenes have in the game.

This always should've been 2 seasons for the first game, and that awesome shit in Kansas City should've been the finale.

Yeah I'm surprised they didn't do two seasons for TLOU1 and two seasons for TLOU2. Would have made a lot more sense, and by the time four seasons were up, the third game would probably be out and they could do 2-3 more for that.

I get the feeling they rushed TLOU1 into one season so they could get to TLOU2 quicker, since getting TLOU2 adapted is the real goal here.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah I'm surprised they didn't do two seasons for TLOU1 and two seasons for TLOU2. Would have made a lot more sense, and by the time four seasons were up, the third game would probably be out and they could do 2-3 more for that.

I get the feeling they rushed TLOU1 into one season so they could get to TLOU2 quicker, since getting TLOU2 adapted is the real goal here.
After how successful S1 was they'll probably try to stretch out a little more... Never played the game to know how much more they could stretch it out, but HBO doesn't sacrifice their cash cows that readily. I'd imagine they'll try (somehow) to wait until 2-3 episodes into S2 to really start on the TLoU2 story, and try to ultimately stretch it out to three seasons. Knowing the show runners from GoT and knowing HBO in general, possibility third season will have a shorter episode count with longer run times and a bigger budget.

And then yeah I assume it would be near impossible to do more than 3 seasons if the goal is to just do the story from the games.

Cybsled

HBO would probably push for more than TLOU2 if the numbers stayed high, although I still think they are going to suffer the “Glenn effect”

• 1Like

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I mean... fully kevlared up military personnel weren't safe from it. That's why this particular world ended. You're thinking in the context of the real, actual world, rather than this made up world where a fungus actually destroyed society and toppled world order in spite of all the tools we have at our disposal

World War Z (the amazing book, not the shitty movie) actually explained this away quite successfully.

It positioned the US armed forces as a giant force in the middle of NYC and several other large cities looking to make a very easy, convincing victory to show the world that the situation was under control. The problem for them came when they started launching traditional warfare munitions at a zombie horde without considering the fact that once your overwhelming, shock and awe show of force is done and 10s of thousands of zombies are dead the fighting devolves into more traditional skirmishes with small arms fire. They were simply not prepared for how those smaller skirmishes would look, especially for their infantry that were not used to requiring head shots to put a target down. Shortly after those skirmishes started, the infantry became demoralized then began to mass panic as they were not skilled enough to efficiently dispatch the zombies with small arms and grenades leading to desertion mid-fight and eventual defeat. No blade weapons were issued as they believed the initial salvos along with air and ground support would be sufficient to protect the infantry from the worst of it.

This repeated itself across the developed world, but did not occur in countries where bladed weapons were still frequently used and hand-to-hand combat was prevalent. This allowed for the destruction of civilization as we know it while also preserving the ability for specific tactical plays to remain effective. In that way both things can be true. The technologically advanced armies of the world could have spectacularly failed to defeat zombie hordes while smart, enterprising groups could still remain highly effective in clearing out hordes far larger than expected.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Best anti zombie armor.

s-l400.jpg

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
World War Z (the amazing book, not the shitty movie) actually explained this away quite successfully.

It positioned the US armed forces as a giant force in the middle of NYC and several other large cities looking to make a very easy, convincing victory to show the world that the situation was under control. The problem for them came when they started launching traditional warfare munitions at a zombie horde without considering the fact that once your overwhelming, shock and awe show of force is done and 10s of thousands of zombies are dead the fighting devolves into more traditional skirmishes with small arms fire. They were simply not prepared for how those smaller skirmishes would look, especially for their infantry that were not used to requiring head shots to put a target down. Shortly after those skirmishes started, the infantry became demoralized then began to mass panic as they were not skilled enough to efficiently dispatch the zombies with small arms and grenades leading to desertion mid-fight and eventual defeat. No blade weapons were issued as they believed the initial salvos along with air and ground support would be sufficient to protect the infantry from the worst of it.

This repeated itself across the developed world, but did not occur in countries where bladed weapons were still frequently used and hand-to-hand combat was prevalent. This allowed for the destruction of civilization as we know it while also preserving the ability for specific tactical plays to remain effective. In that way both things can be true. The technologically advanced armies of the world could have spectacularly failed to defeat zombie hordes while smart, enterprising groups could still remain highly effective in clearing out hordes far larger than expected.

The Battle of Yonkers is so fucking stupid that it just shatters your suspension of disbelief when reading through WWZ. Brooks had some kind of axe to grind against the US military when he wrote that because while high command is certainly capable of making mistakes, even terrible ones, there's just no fucking way they could make the decision to fight that engagement the way they did unless the plan was to intentionally lose to the zombies.

• 2Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>

And that genuinely sounds like how it would go in reality (assuming traditional zombie rules). Nice

LiquidDeath

The Battle of Yonkers is so fucking stupid that it just shatters your suspension of disbelief when reading through WWZ. Brooks had some kind of axe to grind against the US military when he wrote that because while high command is certainly capable of making mistakes, even terrible ones, there's just no fucking way they could make the decision to fight that engagement the way they did unless the plan was to intentionally lose to the zombies.
I see your comment and raise you:

1679446998736.png

• 1Worf

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

What countries still frequently use bladed weapons? Japan comes to mind but I don't know who else does. Maybe Africa with all the machetes n' shit? South America too because machetes are basically required down there for so much as going into the wilderness.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Even the degenerate clowns in charge of the military today can't be as stupid as Brooks portrayed in WWZ, but I will allow that they are mentally ill enough to intentionally sabotage the war because they've decided they're tranZ now.
When did you start repressing your inner tranny, Twilight Sparkles? Pretty sure you'd be way happier as a woman than as your current male curmudgeon self

LiquidDeath

Even the degenerate clowns in charge of the military today can't be as stupid as Brooks portrayed in WWZ, but I will allow that they are mentally ill enough to intentionally sabotage the war because they've decided they're tranZ now.
I get where you're coming from, but I always attributed the outcome to hubris rather than stupidity. They imagined that their infantry was better trained than they actually were and I see that same hubris in the military today.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Stolen:

The fact remains that swords continue to be used by some military units even today.

In particular, the Force Reconnaissance Battalion of the Philippines’ Marine Corps and the Special Action Force continue to arm their soldiers with blades, like the ginunting and the bolo.

main-qimg-0adb0a529a1bc6bbd598d9d2ee1a4f99-lq.jpeg

Ginunting

main-qimg-51b12524e60426f55da4166aadcb3e6b-lq.jpeg

Bolo

I consider the ginunting and the bolo to be swords, albeit short ones; I understand, however, that some might consider them to merely be very long knives. For this answer, knives are considered to be blades that around 9″ (~23cm) or shorter. The ginunting and the bolo, on the other hand, can reach up to 20″ (~51cm) and ~13″ (~33cm) respectively, making them around twice as long as what might locally be considered knives.

These swords continue to be used regularly in the low-intensity conflicts that take place in the jungles of the Southern Philippines for a number of reasons. For one, the thick jungles of Mindanao in which they operate facilitate - in fact, they demand - ambushes at close quarters. The dense foliage inhibits the use of firearms by limiting lines of sight, breaking up fields of fire, and providing an overabundance of cover and concealment to all parties. This is further coupled by the fact that the foliage severely limits visibility. Furthermore, the dense jungle greatly enables swift and effective withdrawals: the separatists and terrorists can very easily disappear into the green at the first sign of trouble.

The terrain thus demands the use of blades. The Marines’ adversaries are likely to utilise the blade in ambush attacks for a variety of reasons. For one, blades are relatively easier to procure than a gun. Furthermore, they can be extremely effective, both kinetically and psychologically, especially when its wielder has already been drugged up under a chemical cocktail, as terror groups are wont to do these days. Most crucially, blades are silent, and do not draw attention like firearm reports.

Because their adversaries are very likely to have already closed the distance and have already deployed their blades in the event of an ambush, the Marines are also forced to deploy their blades instead of their firearms, which are less effective at extreme close quarters. The Marines are also incentivised to utilise blades through the same logic: they can strike swiftly and silently in ambushes without alarming their quarry.

The question that must become obvious at this point is this: if blades are highly useful under such circumstances, why swords instead of knives? Also, why are swords less prominent in other forms of conflicts and battlefields?

Swords of this variety remain the more useful tool as compared to knives under such circumstances because they occupy a particular niche. They are significantly longer than - around twice the length of - most knives, and yet are not that long so as to become unwieldy in thick jungles. The range advantage gained by an individual with a weapon that is around twice as long as that of his adversary’s is considerable. Furthermore, unlike knives, their blade shapes do not just enable the thrust, but also facilitates the slash. The forward curving blade of the ginunting, and the heavy tip of the bolo, are both evidence of this. While there exists knives that also do facilitate the slash, such as the kukri, they nevertheless lack the range advantage that a sword offers. It is for these reasons that swords are preferred to knives under such circumstances.

Swords feature less prominently in the tactics, doctrine, and operations of other militaries and military units for a number of reasons. Swords, and the use of swords, are deeply rooted in a specific geocultural context. Most militaries and societies no longer use blades to the same extent as the Filipino military and society does. While plenty of militaries and military units continue to emphasise the use of the blade, their use of the blades remain limited to what are generally considered knives. (Unless you’re from the The Rifles, in which case you call your bayonet a sword.) This might be because their indigenous sword-culture are less suited for the kind of operations and terrain that their militaries engage in.

Furthermore, both terrain and mission profiles have to agree in order for the use of blades to be viable. The terrain has to both enable and encourage the use of blades, and the mission profile has to at the same time be at least permissive of the use of lethal force. There are stories of Filipino operators who head into the jungles to hunt the heads of their enemies, literally beheading them with a slash of their blade. Most modern conflicts and battlefields enable and encourage, in one way or another, the use of firearms and other munitions. The dense Southeast Asian foliage, however, does not.

To sum up, swords continue to be used in some military conflicts today. Whether they are used, however, greatly depends on factors like culture, and a confluence of terrain and mission profiles.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
When did you start repressing your inner tranny, Twilight Sparkles? Pretty sure you'd be way happier as a woman than as your current male curmudgeon self

I think everybody would be happier as a woman. Being able to have multiple orgasms alone is unfair. We have one and done and fall asleep, or lose interest, or can't have another one even if we want to. Women are over here having like 10 of them in a row n' shiet.

Stolen:

The fact remains that swords continue to be used by some military units even today.

In particular, the Force Reconnaissance Battalion of the Philippines’ Marine Corps and the Special Action Force continue to arm their soldiers with blades, like the ginunting and the bolo.

View attachment 464859

Ginunting

View attachment 464860

Bolo

Damn, I'd love to have that first sword for my collection. Second one vaguely looks like a Ykesha from EQ.

And that genuinely sounds like how it would go in reality (assuming traditional zombie rules). Nice

Which is it, does it shatter your suspension of disbelief or is it genuinely how it would go?

Could be an interesting discussion. Need more people weighing in on this before it devolves into a slap-fight though.

• 1Solidarity

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I think everybody would be happier as a woman. Being able to have multiple orgasms alone is unfair. We have one and done and fall asleep, or lose interest, or can't have another one even if we want to. Women are over here having like 10 of them in a row n' shiet.
Idk about you but I can go two or three times before I run out of steam.