The Last of Us

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Wouldn't a fluid transfer from a kiss be infectious like in 28 Weeks Later? Or is that a subtle way of showing Ellie is cured somehow rather than just immune.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I beat the game shortly after it was released so my memory is hazy, but I don't think they showed that she was still infected/a carrier, just that she had gotten infected and didn't become a zombie (thus immune). Are those two different things?

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I don't think they ever answered that question. The first game doesn't end with many answers given at all. They left it wide open.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, it's never explicitly explained, but I feel like the fact that Joel never contracted it from her hints toward her not being able to infect others. Then again, we don't even know the exact details on how it's contracted.

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
I beat the game shortly after it was released so my memory is hazy, but I don't think they showed that she was still infected/a carrier, just that she had gotten infected and didn't become a zombie (thus immune). Are those two different things?

I would go with that she is immune, and not a carrier. She was the rare case where her immune system was able to fight off the virus, so the Fireflies wanted to use her cells to develop a serum to "cure" other people.

It's like chicken pox. When she got infected she got that scarring on her arm. But people who get chicken pox can also get scarring on their skin. Then, when they develop antibodies to chicken pox, they are essentially immune. Furthermore, they can't infect other people once the infectious period passes. It's like if you got chicken pox as a kid, you aren't going to infect other people when you are an adult and coughing around others.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I was going off the scene where Ellie bites the one cannibal and declares that she's infected and now so is he. There's also the Medical Pamphlet artifact reference that states the two known ways to contract CBI are: 1) Breathing the spores emitted by the Cordyceps 2) Contact with bodily fluids of a person infected with CBI, usually by being bitten. Combined with Surgeon's Recorder that basically says it's still in her body.

Cybsled

The game did explain why Ellie was immune through dialogue and recorders when you get to the end of the game. They thought she was immune at first in terms of an antibody response, but when they did further studies, they concluded is what happened is the fungus that infected her mutated and basically became benign, but the fungus was still in her brain. That is why the surgery was going to be fatal...they had no way of extracting the mutated fungus without killing her since it was too mixed up with her brain tissue and they wanted a large quantity, but they admitted it wasn't 100% guaranteed they could turn it into a cure.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Maybe it was just me but while most of the facia animations looked great, and I'm sure there's still more work to be done, I got a bad case of ME3 derp face going on with Ellie. Couldn't unsee.

Pagan

Lord Nagafen Raider
Well Duh? It is called "The Last Of Us", so Joel is around....right, right, wright, right? F'ing better be....

Cybsled

Well, Ellie has to be on the warpath for a reason. I wouldn't be surprised if it is because someone fucks up the community and she goes to seek vengeance.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
I seem to remember them saying after TLoU that Joel and Ellie’s story was complete... After the old trailer where he was talking to Ellie many assumed he might be a ghost/memory talking to her; I’d be disappointed if he isn’t at least in as a narrative element of the backstory, but I can probably get over him not being the protagonist you play.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I seem to remember them saying after TLoU that Joel and Ellie’s story was complete... After the old trailer where he was talking to Ellie many assumed he might be a ghost/memory talking to her; I’d be disappointed if he isn’t at least in as a narrative element of the backstory, but I can probably get over him not being the protagonist you play.
sichuan-money.jpg

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Great...

"..That stability means the opportunity for Ellie to explore her sexuality, as reflected in the passionate lesbian kiss Naughty Dog put front and center in the trailer. "Ellie's a gay character and one of the things we're really excited about with this game, as [Last of Us writer] Neil [Druckmann] started with the first game, is to show how complicated and complex and beautiful she is as a character," Gross said. "Of course, she's a 19-year-old. She's gonna have... crushes, right? That's one of the things we're really jazzed to show. It's a part of her character." - Halley Gross, co-writer.

It feels like every studio is on the verge of trying to one-up every other studio in being as progressive as they can be. I couldn't care less that Ellie is a "gay character", but I don't want this story to spend time focusing on her exploring her sexuality, it is not necessary at all.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

That seed was planted in the first game with her best friend. What's the problem with having a lesbian protagonist?

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That seed was planted in the first game with her best friend. What's the problem with having a lesbian protagonist?
Did I say there was a problem with having a gay protagonist? It could actually be funny if they went all Witcher like and give Ellie to sleep with multiple npc's throughout the game, but that won't happen, right? lol

Khane

You edited in that last sentence after I responded. Usually when you start a post with a line like "Great..." it's because you aren't happy about something.