The Last of Us

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The recruiter came back and told me that they wanted people who wanted to work there

This is the core that all of this shit about game dev treatment revolves around, exploiting their passion for video games.

It's kind of crazy but almost everyone knows you don't factor a bonus into your salary.

It's not like you have much of a choice if you want to work in the industry.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
This is the core that all of this shit about game dev treatment revolves around, exploiting their passion for video games.

It's not like you have much of a choice if you want to work in the industry.
Of course. Childhood dreams died hard for me

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
The story also says that the higher ups asked for advancements and got them. That kind of thing would breed resentment given the state of things out in world.

• 1Like

Szlia

I am not sure what is more silly : people instantly deciding to pass on the sequel of one of the best AAA game ever made over some leaked plot and visual elements of an unreleased game or somehow trying to tie this decision with the management practice at the dev studio.

• 7Picard
  • 5Seriously?
  • 2EyeRoll
Reactions: 14 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Yea, why would the plot and visual elements of a VIDEO GAME matter at all?

• 8Like
  • 3Worf
Reactions: 10 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I am not sure what is more silly : people instantly deciding to pass on the sequel of one of the best AAA game ever made over some leaked plot and visual elements of an unreleased game or somehow trying to tie this decision with the management practice at the dev studio.
Why buy a game that you already know you will dislike due to how the Story plays out, given the sole reason people had a good opinion of the game series was due to a great Story? I find it even more silly to actually go buy the game after knowing what Druckmann has done.

• 4Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I'm not sure why there's even a cinematography category for any award ceremonies. It's merely unimportant visual elements.

Fadaar

That guy
This is just a taste of what's to come when they start replacing the main Marvel cast

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

Personally I don't really care about conditions at the studio. That's between the employees and the company. If it caused the game to be a buggy mess that would be different, but TLoU2's problems certainly have nothing to do with it.

I don't need any more details than we have already to know there's no possible way the story won't piss me off so much that it taints the memory of the first game too. I flat out refuse to play half the game as the asshole who kills Joel while the game tries to convince me that her actions were justified because of how the first game ended. I was already renting it simply because of how Druckmann worships at the altar of St. Anita, so going one step further is easy.

The whole thing is just more "subverting expectations" bullshit. I'm more convinced than ever that that retarded buzzword is simply code for "we ran out of good ideas but there's too much money on the table to not keep the IP going, so we're going to take a giant steaming shit on everything that came before and the fans that enjoyed it."

This is just a taste of what's to come when they start replacing the main Marvel cast
Pretty sure Endgame is the last one of those I'm going to watch too. Hell, I didn't even like that very much.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Only game development is like this. I've been a dev 7 years now working in financial software then monitoring software. None of this massive crunch time shit that game industry works on exists. You're also paid way better overall.

I applied to an EA job as a staff Software Engineer years ago. When talking compensation I asked for 10% above my salary at the time. The recruiter came back and told me that they wanted people who wanted to work there. Then shot back with a salary 20% under what I was already getting. From what I hear over the years the entire game industry is like this.
We had some crunch in tech dev when a new product was coming. I worked in shitty industry that filesharing was killing anyway.

it doesn’t happen where I am now at all.

I think the problem is that video game development is a “cool” job and companies try to abuse that.

• 1Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
“This comes from a guy who almost made a misogynistic game, so I know what I’m talking about”

What a massive faggot, I hope he gets bat aids

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Szlia

Khane Khane Zindan Zindan The first game took about 15 hours to beat in a sprawling world with dozens of characters. I imagine the sequel will be in the same ballpark and we are talking (if I understand it, since I did not check the spoilers) about the design choice of a single character. Also, even if the whole synopsis of the game has been leaked, reading in 30 seconds a chain of events gives very little information about how you will feel about it once fleshed out over the course of a 15 hours game. At the end of the day, I find it silly to say "nope" over political/philosophical/moral/etc reasons, silly to say "nope" because the story will not be the one you expected it to be and silly to say "nope" by assuming a synopsis you don't like will result in a game you don't like. Well within your rights of course, but silly nonetheless in my book.

The whole thing is just more "subverting expectations" bullshit. I'm more convinced than ever that that retarded buzzword is simply code for "we ran out of good ideas but there's too much money on the table to not keep the IP going, so we're going to take a giant steaming shit on everything that came before and the fans that enjoyed it."

This is an extremely absurd statement. There are good games and bad games, good films and bad films, but I can assure you no one spearheading a creative effort that spans several years does it with the purpose to "shit on the fans." A creative process is not about giving people what they want, it's about creating what you want and what you think people will enjoy, which is sometimes something people did not know they wanted. And from the other end of this relation, being a fan of a creator is not expecting said creator to do what you want or expect, it's to expect that what said creator will do will be good.

Now that I write this, I feel one of the key problem in this weird fans - creator relationship in pop culture is that people are not fan of the creators, but of the creations. The emotional links are with the creations, not with the creators through the creations, and, as such, there is a feeling they "own" the creations perhaps even more than the creators themselves, which leads to this bizarre sense of entitlement. Buying, playing and enjoying The Last of Us does not make it less of a Neil Druckmann game (even if the notion of authorship in such large collective efforts is a bit peculiar) and he is free to do what he wants with the IP and, given his track record, it will probably be good.

• 3Picard
  • 1Dislike
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

Jox

Molten Core Raider
A creative process is not about giving people what they want, it's about creating what you want and what you think people will enjoy

Yet somehow all these creators that go woke come to the same product and message they think people will enjoy. Is it really their idea and creation anymore? If the creator has been subverted why would you remain a fan of the creator who is now just a mold.

• 1Like

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
This is an extremely absurd statement.
The statement was about what "subverting expectations" is as a concept. Whether shitting on the fans is the goal or not it's still the end result.

There are good games and bad games, good films and bad films, but I can assure you no one spearheading a creative effort that spans several years does it with the purpose to "shit on the fans."
Rian Johnson would like a word.

it will probably be good
As far as I'm concerned that is 100% impossible just based on the singular knowledge of what Abby does and the fact that they force you to play half the game as her. Nothing else they do that we don't know about yet can possibly fix that, and I would not play this game even if Sony put it on PS+ for June, which enrages me as a huge fan of the first game. I even really enjoyed TLoU gameplay just as much as the story unlike a lot of people here.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users