The Last Ship

velk

Trakanon Raider
On an action and interesting plot development point, the finale was pretty strong, but really, that has to the dumbest evil plan ever*, it fails to make sense in any way whatsoever.

* The bar for this is pretty low - one of the previous record holders was the movie where a secretive order of European knights were trying to bring down America by smuggling soap to the confederate army.

Oldbased

> Than U
Overall happy with the series, especially now they have a cure and it can go to the other wacky shit in a world mostly dead. Just hope it doesn't take a Falling Skies or Revolution survival route.
We have what 9 months until it starts back up again ( 3 extra episodes next year ). Also pretty sure we haven't seen the last of the merc.
Got to give Bay a B+ for not just blowing shit up for 42 minutes every week.

Cybsled

I sort of figured out the "twist" when the sniper didn't take the blocked shot. You would figure that hardcore warlords wouldn't give a shit about collateral damage, especially considering he had a really powerful gun. Then again, it's typical Michael Bay. Citizen militias = good, elitists + their cops = bad!

Seems like killing off the Captain's wife helps setup a cliched love triangle (capt + merc + lara croft). Either that or British dude dies and his wife becomes fair game ;p

Oldbased

> Than U
Going in I had given his wife a 50/50 of life/death. I was a bit shocked she died but glad I was at least right.
Killing people to burn them as fuel was unexpected. Next thing you know, Natasha Yar will be seen having cookouts.

Cybsled

I'm not sure how practical human body immolation would be as a reliable power source ;p

Cybsled

Well, to be fair, the movie does state that was combined with a form of fusion. People always miss the fusion part. Plus they sort of retconned the 1st movie slightly and you come to find out that the power aspect was kind of BS anyways and it was really just the machines being benevolent to the human race (in their own way).

spronk

FPS noob
wtf kind of michael bay move is letting a bunch of fat cops sneak take over a USS Destroyer? For shame Mr Bay, for shame. Unless one of the cops is a decepticon or something

entertaining enough finale although it all felt anti-climatic after the previous episode. I think this show woulda worked better as a 1-shot, with the finale being the crew returning to a Last of Us/Fallout style America, realizing that even with a cure the world is a pretty fucked up place now.

still, the Smoke Monster being a good guy will be interesting for season 2. the captain went full out retard this episode though, hope they dial back his stupidity a bit

Beastro

Bronze Knight of the Realm
A Burke could take on three missiles no problem.

One thing to note is it was not being hit with anti ship missiles even a normal anti tank missile is unlikely to do siginficant damage to a naval ship. The armor is thick enough and the ship is big enough that even if the missile makes a breach its unlikely to have enough reach to hit anything vital. So it is likely it could take more than a few of a hell fire equivalent type missile. After the first missile was launched though only TV that allowed the rest of the helos to survive more than a few seconds as the phalanx guns would have tracked and engaged and ripped them to pieces in seconds once the free fire was triggered.
Modern warships have little to no armour besides kevlar to trap splinters.

A boat filled with explosives is way more dangerous to a destroyer than an anti tank missile would be. It hits at the water line on a low to non angled surface so the armor there is less than impacting off the front armor on the main superstructure. Had the helos been launching anti shipping missiles from that close of range it is unlikely it could have survived one let alone multiples. But old soviet hellfire equivalents would probably cause some damage but mostly superficial and repairable.
Anti-Tank missile won't do much but case a ton of splinter damage and shred up electronics and wiring. Depending on where it hits it could be little or a lot.

ASMs big danger depends on how much fuel it's still carrying by the time it strikes. Fire is a ships #1 danger, though that danger has been mitigated in recent years by the return of steel hulls, though aluminium is still used in superstructures to keep top weight down.

Anti-tank sized missiles are only used for small boats though these days dual use SAMs are used more then ASMs for a variety of reasons.

In an engagement between missile cruisers like that, the victor would be whoever could lock and fire first; the CIWS are effective but not against a full spread.
Aegis and VLS tubes allow a Burke to target and engage as many targets as it wishes. The only limit to the system back in the day was it being tied to the old launchers that had to reload, now that's not an issue.

CIWS is shit for engaging missiles and always has been, It's only good for taking out boats and even then a Phalanx chews through ammo too quickly.

The issue with CIWS is that by the time bullets can hit a missile that missiles already so close that the debris will continue on and impact the ship.

Those Kirov class boats are old as fuck.
They were designed to guard Soviet sub bastions and carry as many ASMs as they could to fling at Carrier Battle Groups before they died, most like before they got anywhere close enough to launch their missiles.

They weren't great in the Cold War and they're worse now after the treatment they've received rotting all these decades. They're still good to counter most foes Russia might meet, most likely using tired old ASMs they gave them and training their crews, especially their nukes so their experience isn't lost.

Well, to be fair, the movie does state that was combined with a form of fusion.
That's BS and you know it. It's like saying I make fires out of inflammable shit in combination with heaping gallons of gasoline.

velk

Trakanon Raider
That's BS and you know it. It's like saying I make fires out of inflammable shit in combination with heaping gallons of gasoline.
It's a pity really, having them using captive humans as a distributed computing resource would make a lot more sense. After all, creating 'dumb' computers to run the matrix on is kind of hypocritical in the first place.

Cybsled

Felt like it lol. There was a ton of eye rolling moments to be sure. The preview for the rest of the season makes it seem like the new badguys will basically be nazis/daleks/etc.

Oldbased

> Than U
Ya the bad guys is basically anyone alive. Probably as it would be after 80% of the world died off.
I didn't think it was that bad, other than the raging guy on the ship drooling at the mouth the last half anytime someone did something heroic.
I really like the CO, Doc, Tex and Master at arms guys. The XO most of the time I can't stand. Rest is so so to me.

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
Couple things erked me, which tells how bad the writing is too I guess. The merc with the doc meets up with the captain, the extras lead the doc back to the underground while the merc leads the way with the captain in the opposite direction, next thing you know the merc is helping the doc down the ladder to the underground... wtf? Kids ruining the scenes thinking they know better, typical, well he's got 20 mins then I'm going out, ok 12 year old barbie badasswannabe. But I guess no different than the wtf moments in other summer series like falling skies.

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
I expect more explosions damnit...

"Hey, stranger. You say your speciality is security? Here's a gun!"
Lol yeah let the security hobo through.

The drama buildup of the crew cutting themselves loose in secret, only to have the 3 that escaped just walk in with the guns ablaze and it was all for not, but hey burnt 5 mins for drama.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
WTF. This last episode was fucking stupid.

"Oh noes the gas leak is in the main line!" Cut to an aerial view of the oil rig -> explosion -> commercial break -> everyone back on the Nathan James.

And fucking killed my girl too. God damn it.

Oldbased

> Than U
Ya I said the same thing in another thread here about it. The whole build up of the gas rig danger then cut to landing on the ship was complete dog ass. With worms.