The Last Voyage of the Demeter (2023)

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
This movie was pushed on yahoo and its "news" source affiliates hard- so it "flopping" is indeed a failure of "the current age" - it was pushed and praised in articles as things such as "Somehow better than the source material!", "True to the source materials real intentions" and "While true to the source material, it is its own kind of horror monster movie, showing the unique animal side of Dracula!" the most "unique" part I got out of those reviews was that it showed drac weak and increaseing in power as he fed/killed... this somehow was, new? because they made him...more animal and demon like? I mean did they miss the demon-dog-wolf-style part? That part is nothing new for Dracula lore, Bram and expanded...heck even in Castlevania.

I mean, it was such a daring and brave part of the book, in all Bram based Dracula movies etc. it is, like...a scene that is used merely to build suspense. "Why is everyone dead? oh well unload AND DELIVER the boxes yo, union rules, hup hup!"

So sure, it is a good choice to base something off of, as there is room - but your start and end are set... so you either get something good that leans into the source material and uses that to make something great... or you do whatever you want because cool and end up with GoT S8 where you have to end at a spot that you really never aligned with.

edit: underrated dracula movie? Dracula Untold, come at me. Sad there was no follow up as it end capped it into Mina+Drac in the latter half of Stroker's setting (and had a setup similar to Castlevania Lord of Shadows 2 w/ death in a way)
i actually really liked dracula untold, almost in spite of itself, though. there were certain things that were really interesting; taking the idea of why vlad the impaler was considered a national hero instead of just focusing on him being a scary monster. but then there were things that were super cheesy and not in a good way, like the armor sets and other costuming ideas...

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ome

Molten Core Raider
The girl in this had boss powa moments. Let me use the gun you idiot men to open the door. Another weird one was when she was asked why Dracula was going to London and she responds with because he basically ate everyone like wtf is this shit.

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
This was a turd. It had potential to be a tense and claustrophobic 19th century Alien, which seems to be what they were setting out to do, but squandered it just being lazy. The best parts of what made Alien weren't even attempted to be parroted or adapted over and it completely lacked any real connection to Dracula other than the name of the monster. The five or less minutes in every Dracula movie devoted to this part of the story are all better than this, it's almost as if this entire thing was meant to be and should be a footnote in a better story

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I passed on it having read enough reviews. Friend was warned not to bother, said no way he makes it through even half hour.

Next day got confirmation he just shut it off.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Disappointing to hear all of this. Judging from the plot synopsis this movie should have been full-on my jam (The Thing and Alien are both top-5 movies ever for me). Sounds like he drains the power of his victims like Cell in DBZ. Interesting idea for a modern movie, and the boat setting gives it the claustrophobic nature of the above two movies.

So in other words this should have been tremendous, something I'd be really into seeing, but it sounds like it just sort of flopped around.

Gutterflesh

Parody Account
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
i actually really liked dracula untold, almost in spite of itself, though. there were certain things that were really interesting; taking the idea of why vlad the impaler was considered a national hero instead of just focusing on him being a scary monster. but then there were things that were super cheesy and not in a good way, like the armor sets and other costuming ideas...
Came here to see if Last Voyage was worth renting for a long flight back home and left downloading Dracula Untold.

I’m not expecting much from Untold but it looks like it will meet the need.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Last Voyage is pretty good. The setting and atmosphere is solid. As a former sailor I really enjoyed the setting and attention to detail. The scares were solid and they didn't try to do anything retarded with the ending.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Wife and I thought it sucked. Why were there empty crates? Why did they go discover where he sleeps then never go there again to attempt to kill him even though several days passed? There were some other “wait why?” Moments but I don’t remember what they were. We finished it but were pretty checked out by the end.