The Legend of Vox Machina

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i think initially taliesin as percy was pretty unbearable, but i softened up on him during the briarwood arc. i think part of it was that he was always trying to be the main character and the briarwood arc gave him enough attention that even after the arc, he was satiated. but yes, he is CLEARLY the most emotionally damaged person in the group

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
All this shit you guys are discussing about what this is based on is making my fantasy boner go limp when thinking of the future episodes and direction of the show.

• 1Like
  • 1Edgelord
Reactions: 1 users

Kaines

Potato Supreme
All this shit you guys are discussing about what this is based on is making my fantasy boner go limp when thinking of the future episodes and direction of the show.
Maybe this will help a little then...

The Briarwoods are in my top 10 all time villains. They rank right up there with John Doe from Se7en, Anton Chigurh, Admiral Thrawn version from the Zahn books, etc. I mean truly evil sons of bitches that don't pull punches. If the writers of the show did them any justice they will more than overshadow the awfulness that is Taliesin Jaffe and his mental illnesses in animated form. Plus, Percy may be the focus of the story arc, but many many of the best moments are going to come from the other cast members if they kept certain key moments from the campaign.

• 1Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>

The Briarwoods are in my top 10 all time villains. They rank right up there with John Doe from Se7en, Anton Chigurh, Admiral Thrawn version from the Zahn books, etc. I mean truly evil sons of bitches that don't pull punches. If the writers of the show did them any justice they will more than overshadow the awfulness that is Taliesin Jaffe and his mental illnesses in animated form. Plus, Percy may be the focus of the story arc, but many many of the best moments are going to come from the other cast members if they kept certain key moments from the campaign.
Thats a pretty high pedestal. Let's hope the trannies don't bring it down too much.

• 2Like
  • 1Edgelord
Reactions: 2 users

Kaines

Potato Supreme
Thats a pretty high pedestal. Let's hope the trannies don't bring it down too much.
Yeah, and they've already chipped away a bit at it, but we'll see what happens. I mean, in the original campaign, the invitation Delilah extends to Percy isn't JUST to come to Whitestone and visit his hometown. She actually invited him to come see his FAMILY.... I mean DAMN!

Sevens

Log Wizard

Scanbo!

• 1Like

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Fail Falling Down GIF by RETROFUNK

Amod Amod please close this thread prematurely. Giggity.

j00t

yeah, there's a reason why they always knew they'd be doing the briarwood arc. the first two episodes are decent, but i think they are the weakest because they were jamming too much into too short a time frame. the biggest critiques (from both critics and the cast themselves) is that they are taking SOOOOOOO much material and condensing it into 30 minutes. at the table, they can take a 5 hour episode to just do some shopping and have a spa day, but that doesn't work in an actual show. on top of that you have that 5 hours to naturally move through a lot of emotion but in a single episode they move EXTREMELY quickly from moment to moment and it can make these guys come across as just sociopaths, making jokes while they are standing right next to a bunch of mutilated villagers.

i think the problem is that it takes a moment to figure out how to be true to these characters while stilling being able to cut a lot of moments that make these guys who they are. a lot of people who never watched the stream, for example, HATE scanlan in the cartoon and i totally get why, even though sam is one of my favorites.

• 2Like

Wrenn

Trakanon Raider
But campaign 2 really amped up the "WE ARE LGBTQ ALLIES AND SO IS TALDOREI!" even going so far as to retconning that lady kima and alurra are married. These are characters that the mighty Nein have JUST met and have no particular interest in, but because they were big characters for vox machina, it just felt like a way to retroactively make the world more gay.
Kima and Allura were always an item in Season 1 though. Season 1, Episode 97 is where Vox Machina find out they are engaged.

• 1Like

j00t

Kima and Allura were always an item in Season 1 though. Season 1, Episode 97 is where Vox Machina find out they are engaged.
really? i don't remember that at all. i thought the mighty nein just met them and they were married... but it's been a long time since i watched campaign 1

Sevens

Log Wizard
With season 2 being greenlit already Im pretty sure the first two episodes were not only an introduction but setting the ground work for the Chroma Conclave.

• 3Like

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
So I watched the 3 episodes and I had the same reaction most of you seemed to share. The first two are kind of lame and shitty most because they are trying to set up the world and cram all this shit together to get you caught up. The third episode was fun to watch and I hope the Briarwoods stuff ends up being a solid season to watch. I agree Percy is a total fag and nobody on earth likes SJW shit but I feel it's enough in the background to not ruin it all.

Some of the story is just going to get lost in this new medium, like they really can't have the bard shit in a jar and scry on it and then him and Grog just go fuck hookers for hours but I am going to remain optimistic that the series will be worth the watch. It falls short of shots like Arcane but we shall see.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, and they've already chipped away a bit at it, but we'll see what happens. I mean, in the original campaign, the invitation Delilah extends to Percy isn't JUST to come to Whitestone and visit his hometown. She actually invited him to come see his FAMILY.... I mean DAMN!
I may be retarded.

But why does inviting someone to see his own family not seem as dramatic as you're saying?

Kaines

Potato Supreme
I may be retarded.

But why does inviting someone to see his own family not seem as dramatic as you're saying?
They're all dead.... Delilah was inviting him to his own death and twisting the knife a bit on him losing his entire family.

• 2Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Is Pike having a crisis of faith part of campaign one? I ask because of her lame blessing and then seeming to have her holy symbol broken during the fight with the Briarwoods. I had heard Ashley was working a lot during the first campaign and this might be a narrative way to explain a lack-o-healing?

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Is Pike having a crisis of faith part of campaign one? I ask because of her lame blessing and then seeming to have her holy symbol broken during the fight with the Briarwoods. I had heard Ashley was working a lot during the first campaign and this might be a narrative way to explain a lack-o-healing?

Shit I think Matt played her Character more in campaign 1 than she did. She was off actually being successful on T.V. shows and movies and came by when she could, sometimes missing for a couple of months at a time with them needing to kind of bullshit her way in and out of the story. That being said Ashley and her characters are still more likable than Talisen and Marisha. Plus Scanbro needed a character to try and fuck.

• 1Like

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I watched the first three episodes and I agree with the general consensus. 1 and 2 were a disappointment, but I suppose they were a necessary evil. 3 was much better.

That said, I wasn't the least bit surprised that 6 minutes in to the first episode they introduced the pink-haired, non-binary, bearded tranny barkeep. /eyeroll.

• 1Like

Kaines

Potato Supreme
The "too tired" to cast and the symbol going dark at the end of the Briarwood fight is just storytelling elements to explain the D&D rules for limited number of spell slots a cleric gets per day.

And Ashley had never played D&D prior to joining this game. Watching her fumble around with all the rules during the livestream was a weekly occurrence and her role playing was pretty shallow early on. She has gotten much better in the decade that has passed since.

• 3Like