<Banned>
4.60 star(s) Rating: 4.60/5 5 Votes
Title: The Lighthouse (2019)

Genre: Drama, Fantasy, Horror

Director: Robert Eggers

Cast: Robert Pattinson, Willem Dafoe, Valeriia Karaman

Release: 2019-05-19

Runtime: 110

Plot: The story of two lighthouse keepers on a remote and mysterious New England island in the 1890s.

Fedor

<Banned>

Fedor

<Banned>
qq3xg8oo0gd31.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
I am really digging how Robert Pattison is re-defining his image in Hollywood.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Jive Turkey

Karen
This looks fucking wicked. The Witch is one of the best movies, never mind horror movies, of the last 10 years or so. Eggers came out of nowhere

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Now THIS looks interesting. Some of the shots in the trailer are a little too "artsy" for my tastes as inclusion in a horror movie, but I am definitely interested in this one.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Willam Dafoe yelled "Hark!" towards the end of the trailer. I don't know WTF is going on but it looks crazy interesting.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
anyone seen this yet? out around me, looks a bit too artsy for my tastes
It definitely seemed more palatable than The Witch as a horror movie but beyond that it's considerably more bizarre, also incredibly good but a really bizarre movie. A lot of comedy involved and the sound design is almost a main character along with Dafoe and Pattinson. I drew a lot of similarities with Kubrick from it but it's still definitely it's own thing. I loved this and The Witch and my gf loved The Witch and basically hated this so I can't say that if you liked The Witch you'll like this but it's an amazing piece of cinema, absolutely beautiful and deliberate, you can tell the Eggers is in a tier with some amazing directors

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jive Turkey

Karen
Saw it tonight and loved it. Definitely less plot driven than The Witch, which is sure to turn some people off. It's much more of a character study of a descent into madness. Absolutely incredible atmosphere. My girlfriend likened it to 2001 in that it seems to be more concerned with allegory and feel than it is about a coherent narrative. I love that stuff, she doesn't. It'll be divisive for sure. I agree that Eggers is top tier, but I get the sense that he could do himself a favour and be a little less accessible about his process. Kubric always felt like he had a clear and precise vision and that likely has to do with his process being so opaque; the films just stand on their own as a single entity. I've heard Eggers talking about revisiting his stories and sprinkling in Greek mythology after the fact. Ultimately it doesn't really make a difference to the film, but I kind of feel like I'd like to think these things were intrinsic to the telling of the story from the beginning.
Anyway, I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to reading/watching all the different interpretations that are sure to come from it

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Great movie. I recommend.

One complaint
Pattinson's accent kept changing. Dunno if bad accent-ing or on purpose.

Jive Turkey

Karen
Great movie. I recommend.

One complaint
Pattinson's accent kept changing. Dunno if bad accent-ing or on purpose.

I noticed that too and want to watch again to see if it started changing after he started drinking again. As if his phoney persona was beginning to melt away. Pattinson seems too good to have it just be a fuck up. And if they didn't shoot the movie chronologically, it would make even more sense that it was a conscious decision

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database