The Lighthouse (2019)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

chthonic-anemos

bitchute.com/video/EvyOjOORbg5l/
paraphrasing Wake:
"How long do you think you've been here?"
"do you even know where this is?"

I like the theory that he's been dying, washed up on those rocks. This nightmare is his mind struggling to regain consciousness, with a damaged brain. Lighthouse room is both sunlight and "end of the tunnel" near-death effect.

Main character is ego, Wake is super-ego, everything else is ID pushing + reality penetrating the delusion.

Sisyphos reaches the top of the underworld, only to roll back down.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Yeah, I was wondering that too. I was getting the feeling it might have been something like Shutter Island.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
1148233_johnnyutah_the-lighthouse-gameboy-ed.gif

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Jive Turkey

Karen
paraphrasing Wake:
"How long do you think you've been here?"
"do you even know where this is?"

I like the theory that he's been dying, washed up on those rocks. This nightmare is his mind struggling to regain consciousness, with a damaged brain. Lighthouse room is both sunlight and "end of the tunnel" near-death effect.

Main character is ego, Wake is super-ego, everything else is ID pushing + reality penetrating the delusion.

Sisyphos reaches the top of the underworld, only to roll back down.

Jacob's Ladder already did that. It's pretty old hat by this point. I hope that isn't what they were going for.

I do like hearing all the theories though. Not shitting on this one

• 1Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
There's for sure multiple ways to interpret this film. Maybe the director had something specific in mind but I think more likely he wanted to provide the path for the audience to make their own interpretation.

I came up with an interpretation that I like, I also read a couple that I like, it's whatever.

• 3Like

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
This was on my Amazon Prime Video.

Get into it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
I absolutely hated this, i should have trusted my instincts and walked out after 20 mins of being bored. Just not my kind of movie. Yeah, I get the allegory and the final scene/shot was cringe in how "on the nose" it is to Greek stories but man this movie did absolutely nothing for me and felt way too "cute" in its film style, how it felt like a 2 man play, etc.

If you love The Fountain and Mother! and other movies like that I guess go give it a watch, if you hated those movies (like me) heed my warning, save yourself and stay away.
Strongly disagree. Mother!'s so bad it has an exclamation point. Although Aronofsky made a seriously good film with Black Swan.

Mother was a pretentious piece of shit. The Lighthouse is avant garde done right.

• 3Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I absolutely hated this, i should have trusted my instincts and walked out after 20 mins of being bored. Just not my kind of movie. Yeah, I get the allegory and the final scene/shot was cringe in how "on the nose" it is to Greek stories but man this movie did absolutely nothing for me and felt way too "cute" in its film style, how it felt like a 2 man play, etc.

If you love The Fountain and Mother! and other movies like that I guess go give it a watch, if you hated those movies (like me) heed my warning, save yourself and stay away.
Funny comment.

The Fountain is one of my favorite movies and almost no one I know liked that movie. The Lighthouse sure as fuck is not my type of movie, but I was willing to give it a shot after seeing Pattinson in The King.

I really liked this movie and don't have a good reason why. I think it's because I was a bit of a traveler and wilder in my teens/20s, and the pure fucking insanity of this movie seems mostly plausible to me. It's like a real memory made up of mostly mundane bullshit, the remnants of an emotion and loud flashes of an experience. So godamn weird.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I liked The Fountain and I don't understand why other people didn't. At least Aronofsky was trying something.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I mostly enjoyed this movie for the atmosphere it created. It really got me thinking about what life must have been working some shit job back in 1890 or whenever this was.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I need to watch this.

The fountain was really good, imo. It's an art-house movie for sure, but it also has a lot going for it. Also wrecks a day since the subject matter happens to hit close to home. Fuck that movie, but also it's great.

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
This was a weird movie. It goes a little too hard with the acting and Im not a fan of some of the artsy approach it took. Essentially a movie about to drunk guys jacking off and farting. Definitely has a good psychological horror and suspense to it though.

"You smell like curdled foreskin!", probably the best insult Ive ever heard.

• 1Like

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I actually preferred The Vanishing, another film about workers on a lighthouse. It has less of the somewhat abstract psychological edge, but it felt more compelling to me.

• 1Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I enjoyed this analysis I randomly found as much as the film:

Top recommendation.