The Lord of the Rings

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
theyre pulling off these last second reveals really badly. they love to end the episode that way, but they suck at it.

a couple episodes ago it was the "pretend to send Galadriel off the island, then reveal her at the last second" stupidity.

then this time the "oops it was just a hatchet not the powerful artifact" reveal. Both times, its like they were going for some big surprise moment and it came off more like "oh thats dumb, anyway".

great episode overall though, if the rest are like this I'd happily forget the first few.

I'll take stupid over schizophrenic. HOTD turned unwatchable.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'll take stupid over schizophrenic. HOTD turned unwatchable.
That's unfortunate. I was starting to look forward to binge watching HOTD when the season was over, after a majority of the people in that thread seemed to be liking it.

• 1Worf

Chris

Potato del Grande
That's unfortunate. I was starting to look forward to binge watching HOTD when the season was over, after a majority of the people in that thread seemed to be liking it.
Ignore him, they age up a few characters and people with autism can't take it. The show is good.

When someone is hit by a stream of fire in HotD, at least they burn to a horrific crisp.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

Couldn't help but see the instant irony in Chris's take on the "Horrific crisp"

That's exactly it;

1664660872812.png

That is exactly the problem with the show. It's like fan service from GRRM's asshole.

"Put another dick chopping in there".

Chris

Potato del Grande
Couldn't help but see the instant irony in Chris's take on the "Horrific crisp"

That's exactly it;

View attachment 435842

That is exactly the problem with the show. It's like fan service from GRRM's asshole.

"Put another dick chopping in there".
To give you some context on my thinking:

Early Game of Thrones was a 10/10.
Late Game of Thrones was a 4/10.
House of the Dragon is a 7/10, maybe 8/10 depending on how this season goes. It started at 6/10 and improved.

Lord of the Rings was a 11/10.
Rings of Power is a 4/10.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
as a non watcher of both shitshows, seems both are equally divisive. so that tells me both are 5/10 quality . pass

• 1Garbage

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
can a flood trigger a volcano?
Theoretically yes, if the volcano was already poised to erupt and the initial rush of floodwater was able to cause enough of a seismic event to set off the volcano.

But I'm guessing it would have to be a biblical+ flood to do it.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Theoretically yes, if the volcano was already poised to erupt and the initial rush of floodwater was able to cause enough of a seismic event to set off the volcano.

But I'm guessing it would have to be a biblical+ flood to do it.
A biblical drizzle of a flood?

Love the dwarf prince. He knocked it out of the park as he talked up his retarded elf friend at the end of episode 5. I want to see more of him. I'll be disappointed if there aren't magnificent concessions made by the elves next episode. Don't bother, I already know I'll be disappointed, but probably in the elf arc of what's going on. Guess I'm behind things, as I haven't met the poor cgi lavaing of mordor.

• 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
A biblical drizzle of a flood?

Love the dwarf prince. He knocked it out of the park as he talked up his retarded elf friend at the end of episode 5. I want to see more of him. I'll be disappointed if there aren't magnificent concessions made by the elves next episode. Don't bother, I already know I'll be disappointed, but probably in the elf arc of what's going on. Guess I'm behind things, as I haven't met the poor cgi lavaing of mordor.
this shit had no payoff in episode six at all? Jesus fuck. It was literally the only interesting thing in episode 5.

Caliane

can a flood trigger a volcano?
no.

A volcano is triggered from volcanic movement underground. Pressure buildup of lava, or gas, or, earthquakes, or tectonic shifts. All incidences where there is pressure underground, pushing up. Either slow magma leaks, or a giant explosion as the pressure pops the mountain cap.

A flood pouring unto a volcano hotspot, would just potentially cause a violent steam eruption. which is a very different thing.

found this after typing.. "oh, scientists say it could totally happen! the writers were very careful about checking!" "also, it would be a steam eruption, not a volcanic one, they fibbed a little"

now, the orcs digging tunnels themselves could trigger an eruption. Say, you have volcanic pressure building. But, its under .5 KM of rock. you dig a tunnel down into that rock... and suddenly you have lets say .2km of rock between the open air, and that giant volcanic bubble of high pressure magma.. Well, NOW that rock is too thin, and the magma can punch through and has a path to go.

well... actually I suppose there is a path for this to work THAT way... one tunnel is going to erupt. but mostly just create a venting tube for safe eruption. you pour water down that tube, and you blow the top of the mountain off with a steam explosion. Now, the entire top of the mountain is an open caldera of free flowing magma.

I'd have to watch the show to see how the hell they got a flood of water UP into a mountain though.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
Basically it would have been better if it was just some dark Morgoth creation magic and not an attempt at being realistic.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
With how this show's gone, I half expect sauron's eye to be at the top of the mountain next episode.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
no.

A volcano is triggered from volcanic movement underground. Pressure buildup of lava, or gas, or, earthquakes, or tectonic shifts. All incidences where there is pressure underground, pushing up. Either slow magma leaks, or a giant explosion as the pressure pops the mountain cap.

A flood pouring unto a volcano hotspot, would just potentially cause a violent steam eruption. which is a very different thing.

found this after typing.. "oh, scientists say it could totally happen! the writers were very careful about checking!" "also, it would be a steam eruption, not a volcanic one, they fibbed a little"
Dunno wtf happened in this shit show as i havent watched a second of it aside from that lulzy girl power sword training scene but depending on how ascktually you wanna get water is a issue for volcanoes.

The most prominent volcanic event in the past few hundred years was a truly cataclysmic explosion caused by sea water entering into the magma chamber of Krakatoa;

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Dunno wtf happened in this shit show as i havent watched a second of it aside from that lulzy girl power sword training scene but depending on how ascktually you wanna get water is a issue for volcanoes.

The most prominent volcanic event in the past few hundred years was a truly cataclysmic explosion caused by sea water entering into the magma chamber of Krakatoa;

That's just one hypothesis and there is physical evidence against it. Even if that's how it happened it would have been seawater cooling a crust to cause a pressure cooker effect, not an immediate "just add water to get eruption".

Also the Mount Tambora eruption in 1815 was an entire order of magnitude more powerful than Krakatoa and was so catastrophic that it caused famine throughout the entire Northern hemisphere the following year.