The Lord of the Rings

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I was glad we got some wizard-on-wizard action...though they do seem to spend a lot of time throwing wizards against walls.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
They turned Sauron into a swashbuckler.... what... the... fuck....
talking eric cartman GIF by South Park

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
If viewed in a vacuum as a standalone series and not as a Tolkien adaptation, the finale was surprisingly...not terrible. It was easily the best episode not containing Dwarves. As a Tolkien adaptation...lol.

The writing all season was insanely uneven. There were certainly nuggets of goodness, even some greatness, but it was all wrapped in sub-amateurish trash. The next season will have to carry mountain of weight on its shoulders for this thing to make it a full five.

Also, within two days we got the first Star Wars pissing reference and the first Tolkien shitting reference. What a time to be alive.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
So someone clarify something for me, are the forging of the rings and the fall of Numenor happening at roughly the same time, or is the show just doing a poor job differentiating between timelines?

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
not a Tolkien nerd but yeah, the whole epic forging of the rings doesn't sync with what a casual viewer learned from LOTR.

Galadriel knew he was Sauron but went ahead with their creation anyway? Do they have the rights to him making the rings for the other races?

The Three rings were the only ones not corrupted. Sauron created the rest and distributed them.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Sauron created the rest and distributed them.
Celebrimbor forged all the rings but he forged the three in secret from Sauron, whereas Sauron had helped with the others. Sauron destroyed Eregion and tortured Celebrimbor to death to get the nine and seven from him but he kept the location of the three secret.

Of course they don't have the rights to the events that actually happened so they just have to make shit up.

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
So someone clarify something for me, are the forging of the rings and the fall of Numenor happening at roughly the same time, or is the show just doing a poor job differentiating between timelines?
Both are essentially happening at the same time. Tar-Palantir just died in the finale and Pharazon is (apparently) prepping to wrest the lordship of Numenor from Miriel. Sauron is now on his happy way to Mordor to build Barad Dur and forge his ring. The timeline compression is massive.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Almost seems like a bit of an understatement seeing as how Sauron destroyed Eregion like 1500 years before the fall of Numenor.
yeah, the first... oh... 1000 years or so of the second age not much happens. or rather, stuff happened but tolkien didn't document most of it. the next 2000+ years of the second age this show has compressed into just a few months.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Is this lore all in a book somewhere? Is it the Silmarillion? I can’t read that without a cheat sheet but I’ll give it another try.

This show did a good enough job of leaving me wanting more.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Celebrimbor forged all the rings but he forged the three in secret from Sauron, whereas Sauron had helped with the others. Sauron destroyed Eregion and tortured Celebrimbor to death to get the nine and seven from him but he kept the location of the three secret.

Of course they don't have the rights to the events that actually happened so they just have to make shit up.
Not anymore, bro! The writers are totally better than that!

The new lore is that Saurobrand helped Celebrimbor make two rings for the elves, so they can stay in middle earth and be a threat to him later. This is all because Saurobrand is in love with Gladdy and wants her as his queen. When she rejects his marriage offer, he fucks off back to the Southlands (where ever that is, since it wasn't really clear from previous episodes).

Gladdy doesn't tell Celebrimbor about her friend Saurobrand, but suggests that they make three rings, instead of two. Celebrimbor tells Gladdy that the gold and silver from her brother's favorite knife (which the writers reminded us how important it was, 5 minutes prior) is needed for the rings. So, instead of taking the gold and silver off the handle where it's all located, they go ahead and melt the whole blade down, skim off the gold and silver, and toss out the left over steel.

There is also a line in there about the rings should only be made by elves, for elves (FUBU rings yall). That implies that Celebrimbor will not be making the other rings.

The rings look cool though, I guess.

Chris

Potato del Grande
The Three rings were the only ones not corrupted. Sauron created the rest and distributed them.

Celebrimbor makes the 7 and 9 first with Sauron under disguise as the Maiar "Annatar", then the 3 later when he realises that Sauron is up to no good.

Is this lore all in a book somewhere? Is it the Silmarillion? I can’t read that without a cheat sheet but I’ll give it another try.

There is a version in the Lord of the Rings appendices that they have the rights to, and a more detailed version in the Silmarillion.

What exactly did the rings "do" to the wearers?
It's vague but they gave the power to preserve and hide the Elven Kingdoms.

The one Gandalf has gives him a morale boost aura.

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
So I guess with that ”folliw your nose” comment its confirmed the wizard is gandalf

• 1Garbage
Reactions: 1 user

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider

This show only holds the rights to the LoTR appendices, which covers the Second Age in a scant 10 or so pages.

The fullest account of the Second Age (which is still fairly short) is in The Silmarillion. Some things are fleshed out in more detail in Unfinished Tales. The show can't really touch either of these books so the writers had to change, compress, and invent a whole bunch of shit, much of which was poorly executed.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
There was a lot of vomit inducing pottery in this episode.

The Sauron reveal you can tell should be an amazing twist, but the concept is so obvious and retarded that it fails to land.

He gives some inspiration on alloys and shapes then just leaves..?