The Lord of the Rings

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
I have a feeling you ha e not read the relevant books which give a very solid view of the world during that time, or the book which set a very detailed foundation for the series itself. There is no reason not to follow the basic setting that Tolkien setup in Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales, unless it is to make a story their own.

You're right though, we'll just have to wait and see how much they change.
I have read unfinished tales and the silmarilion. There is almost no dialogue relative to the time periods of the stories. It is a narrative tale and the stories are disjointed and random.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
Sure, sure, but it's a huge red flag. And not because the meanie guys on the FoH would rather see a bad show with white cast than a good show with a black cast. It's a red flag because it shows they aren't simply hyper focused on making the best show possible but instead are focusing on a bunch of shit that doesn't directly improve the quality of the show.
What if the best show possible is casting great actors who happen to be POC? Like I have no earthly idea who the actors are (Mostly no names) but what if they are objectively better actors than the white people who auditioned?

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
What if the best show possible is casting great actors who happen to be POC? Like I have no earthly idea who the actors are (Mostly no names) but what if they are objectively better actors than the white people who auditioned?
What if I shit twinkies?

• 6Worf
Reactions: 5 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I mean if they try to sheohorn in other races in at least have them be good actors. If they are good actors shit like this can be overlooked as you are drawn into the story.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
They don't audition white people for a role they've decided to blackwash. Look at Mimi Ndiweni or Moses Ingram and it's pretty clear that they're being selected to fill a diversity quota, not because of talent.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Some of my favorite IPs have been made into shows recently and I have avoided all of them and from the sound of it rightly so, cowboy bebop, wheel of time, y the last man, every instance seems to me some fart sniffer decided they could make it better and fucked everything up, Witcher is fine but mainly because of caville and jaskier, and could have been so much better.i may give sandman a try but only after reviews, the only really good adaptation recently was reacher and they kept that pretty close to the book. I'll skip this too, I know I'm an Old get of my lawn man, but I have decided to just stick the to source material and enjoy them as they were intended.

• 7Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Some of my favorite IPs have been made into shows recently and I have avoided all of them and from the sound of it rightly so, cowboy bebop, wheel of time, y the last man, every instance seems to me some fart sniffer decided they could make it better and fucked everything up, Witcher is fine but mainly because of caville and jaskier, and could have been so much better.i may give sandman a try but only after reviews, the only really good adaptation recently was reacher and they kept that pretty close to the book. I'll skip this too, I know I'm an Old get of my lawn man, but I have decided to just stick the to source material and enjoy them as they were intended.
Altered Carbon....

Pour One Out Malt Liquor GIF

• 4Solidarity
  • 4Like
  • 1Rustled
Reactions: 8 users

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Imagine your life's work being to edit your father's hobby, not being your own man at all.

I don't like a few changes Peter Jackson made in the 2nd and 3rd movies, but they were 95% faithful and that first movie was actually PERFECT.

I only read The Silmarillion and fell in love with Tolkien's work because of those movies, being salty about it like Christopher Tolkien is pathetic.

Christopher did more work than dozens of other lessor authors combined. Without him you would not even have had the Silmarillion to read.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
I mean in the end, this is FOH. If it wasn't the wokeism there would be some other reason people would find to shit on it.

We shit on everything, I get it. I am here for it.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
I kinda like the look of Sauron in that teaser, looks like he's going to be a fairly large character and not just an off-screen boogeyman. Still no mention of Morgoth though which is a little disappointing.
If this is the 2nd age, there is no Morgoth. But a lot of Sauron.

• 1Like

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Obviously don’t know the scene but isn’t he supposed to be not so obviously evil at this time ? Tho My middle Earth knowledge must be off , I thought he was masquerading a bit ?

Yes, he appears fair and under an alias. "The Lord of Gifts". Basically masquerading as some Maia that is not content to sit in Valinor and leave the Elves/Men to fend for themselves, but wants to "help" them....

• 1Like

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
He is fair looking and pretends to be "Annatar" which means giver of gifts, and is supposed to be a good Maiar who wants to help the people of Middle Earth.

He is a shapeshifter and spent the first age as a werewolf who loses rap battles to elf maidens.
Jesus, you need to pick up some of Christopher Tolkien's History of Middle Earth. He has a battle of songs with a Elf King, not a maiden. He turned into a wolf at some point but was beaten in wolf form by a Dog.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
I think first age would almost be too fantastical? It was basically god battles.

No budget for all those balrog fights.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
Elven - human marriages are a vague topic in the books. There are the recorded instances (3 I think?). Aragorn/Arwen, Idril/Tuor, Beren/Luthien. However it is hinted that the elves of edhellond sometimes mingled with the gondorians there. I can't remember where I am getting this from so I am probably wrong.

Outside the big 3 though, any mingling is going to result in mortal children. So there's really no way you are going to get darker skin from the elven side. Even evolutionary changes that might affect humans probably wouldn't affect elves, who have children very rarely and don't age.

Miriel would have to have southron human ancestry, and I don't think that would have gone down well with the nobles and populace.
Vague topic!? Human-Elf marriages are a taboo fated union which have major consequences.

Most of The Silmarillion is about them, you can split up the phases of the final wars which ended the 1st age into Beren starting it by capturing a Silmaril from Morgoth, Tuor and his cursed cousin Turin fighting it and Earndil ending it by disposing of the Silmarils. These are the main narratives excluding the history stuff.

Then Lord of the Rings ends with one. It's THE MAIN THEME other than unremarkable beings like Hobbit being the bravest and most pivotal.

So yeah... you can't really use this to explain brown elves without some really careful worldbuilding... and do you really want a show about Elf skin colours?

Chris

Potato del Grande
Jesus, you need to pick up some of Christopher Tolkien's History of Middle Earth. He has a battle of songs with a Elf King, not a maiden. He turned into a wolf at some point but was beaten in wolf form by a Dog.
Been a while since I read it so maybe I have combined events but a quick google has part of the story:

Sauron stood in the high tower, wrapped in his black thought; but he smiled hearing her voice, for he knew that it was the daughter of Melian. The fame of the beauty of Luthien and the wonder of her song had long gone forth from Doriath; and he thought to make her captive and hand her over to the power of Morgoth, for his reward would be great.

But no wizardry nor spell, neither fang nor venom, nor devilish art nor beast-strength , could overthrow Huan without forsaking his body utterly. Ere his foul spirit left its dark house, Luthien came to him, ghost be sent quaking back to Morgoth; and she said: ‘There everlastingly thy naked self shall endure the torment of his scorn, pierced by his eyes, unless thou yield to me the mastery of thy tower.’ Then Sauron yielded himself, and Luthien took the mastery of the isle and all that was there; and Huan released him. And immediately he took the form of a vampire, great as a dark cloud across the moon, and he fled, dripping blood from his throat upon the trees, and came to Taur-nu-Fuin, and dwelt there, filling it with horror.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
I think first age would almost be too fantastical? It was basically god battles.

No budget for all those balrog fights.

Would be pretty epic though, and something different than yet more rehashing's of orc zergs vs. elves

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Been a while since I read it so maybe I have combined events but a quick google has part of the story:

The "rap battle" you were referring to was between King Finrod and Sauron. As I said, Sauron's confrontation with Luthien was really a confrontation between him and her bodyguard, the Dog Huan. A physical contest. Luthien did not use "magic" on his ass. She used it later against Morgoth and his guards.

(I'm being hard on you because you were so dismissive with Christopher, and after saying you enjoyed the Silmarillion which Christopher basically wrote and put together based on scattered tales and notes from his father. Tolkien's work is so deep and detailed, it NEEDED someone almost as brilliant as him-his son- to spend a lifetime organizing and analyzing it)