The Lord of the Rings

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I was going to reply to the remark about Galadriel being a Mary Sue, but its Chris so that explains so much. Galadriel is one of the most powerful folks there is who isn't a Maiar. Granted I dont recall her being a sword master but rather a wizard, but her power level is 11.
That doesn't mean that their shitty writing and her shitty acting hasn't made her come across as some unbearable Mary Sue/Karen hybrid.

• 2Picard
Reactions: 1 users

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
Re: Sea wurm, I was thinking the same. Whelp, she's going to solo this giant fucking thing with her dagger and then there will be no recovering from the subsequent avalanche of Mary Sue commentary. I was pleasantly surprised that the show went the opposite way and she and whoever-the-fuck left the rest to die.

And again, those are Harfoots, not the later Hobbits that show up in The Hobbit and The LoTR. I don't remember if their presence in the Second Age is 100% accurate to canon but I think Tolkien is pretty vague on their origin. They are more akin to early Hobbit ancestors.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Gutterflesh

Parody Account
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
She looks the Indian mom who is about to rip into her son for getting a B in science.

“Rajesh! WTF is this?! Do you want to poor your entire life?!”
1662215589690.jpeg

• 2Worf
  • 1WTF
  • 1Mother of God

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
That doesn't mean that their shitty writing and her shitty acting hasn't made her come across as some unbearable Mary Sue/Karen hybrid.
It actually does. Correlation is not causation. Bad writing/acting doesn't mean Mary Sue. She doesnt appear to have a weakness because she is Galadriel. Not because she is female. She is the niece of Feanor for fuck's sake. She is Finarfin's daughter.

"She is described as "the mightiest and fairest of all the Elves that remained in Middle-earth",[and the "greatest of Elven women".

"Fëanor and Galadriel were always unfriends, both being the greatest Eldar in Valinor;"

"Even though she was one of the leaders in this revolt, during the troubles that followed she fought fiercely against Fëanor "

Yeah.. Mary Sue indeed.

• 2Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
It actually does. Correlation is not causation. Bad writing/acting doesn't mean Mary Sue. She doesnt appear to have a weakness because she is Galadriel. Not because she is female. She is the niece of Feanor for fuck's sake. She is Finarfin's daughter.

"She is described as "the mightiest and fairest of all the Elves that remained in Middle-earth",[and the "greatest of Elven women".

"Fëanor and Galadriel were always unfriends, both being the greatest Eldar in Valinor;"

"Even though she was one of the leaders in this revolt, during the troubles that followed she fought fiercely against Fëanor "

Yeah.. Mary Sue indeed.
I know who she fucking is you goddamn twit, that's not a blank check to excuse shitty writing.

• 2Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
She looks the Indian mom who is about to rip into her son for getting a B in science.

“Rajesh! WTF is this?! Do you want to poor your entire life?!”
I'd never mistake that for an street pooper. You are wrong, very wrong.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I know who she fucking is you goddamn twit, that's not a blank check to excuse shitty writing.
Then why the fuck are you referring to her as a Mary Sue, asshat? Her seemingly unbeatability and lack of weakenss has nothing to do with bad writing and everything to do with the fact she is one tiny atep below the Angels in power. She is an ultra-powerful being who is written poorly. She isnt a scrub character out of nowhere who is being written as all powerful because she is female.

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
There's also the fact that she'd have been a rotting corpse at the bottom of the ocean if dude hadn't swam down to save her life.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
She isnt a scrub character out of nowhere who is being written as all powerful because she is female.
And yet this is exactly how their version of her comes across and you can't just excuse it with 'oh but the source material says shes a badass so its fine'. The foundation for her display of power in Dol Guldur was built in LotR which is why the scene worked even though Gandalf credited Saruman with leading the attack and driving Sauron away in the books.

• 2Picard

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
I sort of agree with both of you and I really wish they'd have gone into more background on the First Age (and even prior) and spun that into precisely why Galadriel is who she is, but I pin that at least as much on the fact that they generally can't, because they don't hold the rights to it, as on the quality of the writing.

Edit: Gavin's logic regarding Dol Guldur doesn't make sense, because if you are okay with the foundation of her power in The LoTR films going backwards chronologically to justify her scene in The Hobbit, then that should also apply to this show.

Last edited:

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Edit: Gavin's logic regarding Dol Guldur doesn't make sense, because if you are okay with the foundation of her power in The LoTR going backwards chronologically to justify her scene in The Hobbit, then that should also apply to this show.
Might want to unfuck your retarded logic before you try criticizing mine. It's not about the fucking internal chronology of the movies, it's the fact that we saw LotR before we saw The Hobbit. We saw a vague glimpse of the power Galadriel possessed so it wasn't out of nowhere when a later movie took that ball and ran with it. I also don't see how a ring-bearer creating the movie equivalent of "an Elf-lord revealed in his wrath" would have anything to do with justifying an insufferable cunt with a sword.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I was going to reply to the remark about Galadriel being a Mary Sue, but its Chris so that explains so much. Galadriel is one of the most powerful folks there is who isn't a Maiar.
Yeah.

Granted I dont recall her being a sword master but rather a wizard, but her power level is 11.
THIS is what I'm talking about. She's a sorceress AND a master ranger AND swordsmaster AND olympic swimmer.

Chris

Potato del Grande
And again, those are Harfoots, not the later Hobbits that show up in The Hobbit and The LoTR. I don't remember if their presence in the Second Age is 100% accurate to canon but I think Tolkien is pretty vague on their origin. They are more akin to early Hobbit ancestors.
It's canon that there were three groups of proto-hobbits, Harfoots being one of them, who fled to The Shire.

Given that Gollum who was probably a Stoor, was around that area at the start of the third age, it's safe to say they were all there at the end of the second age which is when the show is set.

I bet the in the last season we see Gollum get the ring and The Shire founded lol.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah.

THIS is what I'm talking about. She's a sorceress AND a master ranger AND swordsmaster AND olympic swimmer.
Of course. She is a Noldor. Its like all the other races roll 3d6 at character creation for stats and Nolder roll 3d20+20. It isnt just Galadriel. Its all the Noldor.

• 4Like

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
Might want to unfuck your retarded logic before you try criticizing mine. It's not about the fucking internal chronology of the movies, it's the fact that we saw LotR before we saw The Hobbit. We saw a vague glimpse of the power Galadriel possessed so it wasn't out of nowhere when a later movie took that ball and ran with it.
Umm, and we saw LoTR before The Hobbit and we saw The Hobbit before this show. So how does your justification solve the Mary Sue issue for The Hobbit and not for this? It's the same character.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Umm, and we saw LoTR before The Hobbit and we saw The Hobbit before this show. So how does your justification solve the Mary Sue issue for The Hobbit and not for this? It's the same character.
All Gavin had to do was say "you know what, maybe she isnt a Mary Sue but her writing is shit and so is her acting" and its a non-issue. But this is FOH, and the term "I was wrong" is word filtered to "Reeee!".

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Selectively edit out the part where I already addressed this, what a fucking piece of shit you are.