The Lord of the Rings

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I've watched LOTR trilogy at least 10x now, probably more times through. Bought the DVD set, then the Bluray, then the 4k Bluray. Right now I'm planning to never watch a single minute of this show, outside of reviews. Good idea or great idea?

• 7Like
  • 4Solidarity
Reactions: 10 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Elden Ring release date: February 25th, 2022.

August 2nd, 2021:

ohno-768x764.png

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I've watched LOTR trilogy at least 10x now, probably more times through. Bought the DVD set, then the Bluray, then the 4k Bluray. Right now I'm planning to never watch a single minute of this show, outside of reviews. Good idea or great idea?
i'm keeping my LOTR/EQ nostalgia intact by not watching this. both would be destroyed if i saw a bunch of jackoffs mumble bad dialogue from writers who never even sold a story to Weekly Reader Magazine.

• 7Like
  • 1Tiresome
Reactions: 7 users

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
No I'm just appalled at how stupid you are.
Then you won't mind walking me through how a scene created for a TV show, which is depicted in a reasonably accurate fashion to Tolkien's description of decades ago, could have been slipped into said show ostensibly for the purposes of wooing over nerds playing a game that...they weren't actually playing because it was still months away from releasing. Please help, I want to be smarter.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Emergency Awesome review seems to think he's Sauron too, mainly because of his reaction to the other people on the raft dying, and some other hints.
The bit where he saves Galadriel's life is super in character for Sauron lmao.

Elden Ring release date: February 25th, 2022.

August 2nd, 2021:

Games are in development for a good few years though, so either one of the teams had a leak or they came up with the same idea simultaneously which is very unlikely!!

If you look closesly, Rings of Power actually has two trees so it is a little different, however I think that the burning of them is a giveaway that copying happened though.

Sounds a lot like how Games Workshop ripped off Warcraft lore or how Lord of the Rings itself was D&D fanfiction.

Last edited:

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
The bit where he saves Galadriel's life is super in character for Sauron lmao.

Games are in development for a good few years though, so either one of the teams had a leak or they came up with the same idea simultaneously which is very unlikely!!

If you look closesly, Rings of Power actually has two trees so it is a little different, however I think that the burning of them is a giveaway that copying happened though.

Sounds a lot like how Games Workshop ripped off Warcraft lore or how Lord of the Rings itself was D&D fanfiction.
The two trees are canon Tolkien, straight out of the Silmarillion and The LoTR appendices. When I played Elden Ring for the first time and popped up into the overworld where the giant tree is, they were immediately what I thought of. If anything, Elden Ring did the ripping off.

And the trees in RoP aren't burned, they're poisoned and drained of light and life by Ungoliant, which is why all of the leaves are being pulled towards a single point. You don't actually see the spider, maybe because of a rights issue or they didn't have enough Bezos bucks left over, IDK.

Edit: lol, sarcasm alarm broken

Last edited:
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The Unlight would have prevented you from seeing Ungoliant or the trees at all, which is how she and Melkor were able to get to the trees in the first place and escape after the deed was done.

• 1Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Well fuck, this thread is useless for figuring out if the show is any good (despite hundreds of posts). And critic reviews stopped being reliable a few years ago, so I guess I'm going to have to watch this shit and see for myself..

most peoples opinions on media are trash, there's a few that deserve to be mocked ( spronk spronk and Chukzombi Chukzombi - you can ignore anything those two say, or just presume the opposite is true). You might be able to identify posters with similar tastes to your own and only look for their reviews. And of course, the big trend in the last few years is foh big brains labelling everything woke and dismissing on the basis of that.

But generally, yeah the only way to know if something is good is to watch for yourself

• 1Edgelord

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
1662381732508.png

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Okay, fair enough. I'm not saying you are wrong at this point, you have a very valid point. While watching it the music didn't bother me, and I noticed several times that I rather enjoyed it. Maybe I've lowered my standards too far...
Yeah and to be fair, the intro and dwarven music are much better than the Harfoot's. This will obviously be compared to the Trilogy and that score was phenomenal. I don't expect it to be at that level. So the main theme and Dwarven music, possibly the elves music too I'd have to find it, is fine. I'd argue even those are way below the trilogy and not even as good as say Skyrim, Divinity 2 or other fantasy games.

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Yeah and to be fair, the intro and dwarven music are much better than the Harfoot's. This will obviously be compared to the Trilogy and that score was phenomenal. I don't expect it to be at that level. So the main theme and Dwarven music, possibly the elves music too I'd have to find it, is fine. I'd argue even those are way below the trilogy and not even as good as say Skyrim, Divinity 2 or other fantasy games.

What the fuck is going on? Are we having a civilized conversation with slightly differing opinions? Shouldn't you be calling me a cuck or something at this point? Or maybe a leftist tard?

:D

The Harfoot theme was definitely weak. But then again, I thought the writing for the Harfoot was also weak. I understand they thought they had to include them, but they could have done it better.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Shouldn't you be calling me a cuck or something at this point? Or maybe a leftist tard?
I mean... OBVIOUSLY.

Harfoot storyline is the worst. The one cool thing is the Elves working on making what I assume becomes Saurons tower and the forge needed to make the rings. Or the forge that makes the sword that chops his fingers off... one or both? Although maybe I misread that.

• 1Like