The Machinist

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
BMO1.gif

latheboy latheboy too lazy to make a thread, this is what he gets
(is that a blooper w/ the hand at bottom right?)

also by request

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
Haha,
Not to lazy be the way.. Dial up speeds yesterday prevented me from adding video content so didn't both..

I'm a toolmaker. I make shinny stuff on lathes and milling machines. Use CAD programs.
Here a cool 5 axis CNC making a helmet. My current project is a downhill mountain bike. Designed in cad and then made a heap of parts.
IMG_20180918_194019.jpg

Everything machined on manual machines cause we don't have any CNC's.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
Ruhl Ruhl is our resident CNC guy.
I guess if anyone has some questions about manufacturing we can offer bad advice over the internet as see how it goes.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I took a couple AutoCAD classes, and Inventor. Have to say I felt Inventor was easier to work with. I never took Rhino, Solidworks, etc

It's surprisingly difficult to find videos of machining the parts I'm familiar with online. A lot of it is just either boring & keying, or boring & tapping.

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
What do you do Erronius Erronius ?

Well he is doing it the hard way.
I thread turn LH a far bit making bottom brackets for push bikes.
1 RH and 1 LH on the same part.

The easiest way is leave the tool in the normal cutting direction, turn the chuck in the normal direction and just reverse the feed so you are cutting from the inside to out.
I also do not disconnect the lead screw, once out move the tool and reverse the chuck direction so the cutter goes back in.
Stop without crashing and reset the tool depth and go again.
It's easy to get the timing on the lead screw wrong and smash stuff.

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
I use Solidwork, Autocad is shit ... Solidworks and Inventor are pretty much the same thing and you'll pick it up pretty quick if you swap programs.

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
I bought a 3D printer a couple of years ago for $500 i think.
3D Printer Touch – Cocoon Products
Basic as but good for kids toys and dragon dildos.

Desktop machines have come a long way in the last 5 years to where you can buy stuff like this.
This is just 1 example from a 5 minute search.
Pocket NC V2
5 axis (X 5", Y 5" Z3.55")
But for $5500 i think i'll wait and just keep using a real CNC
_6008134.jpg

Still interesting to see what is coming out for the hobby guys.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
What do you do Erronius Erronius ?
I was an electrician, but moved over to a company that does industrial instrumentation, valves, actuators, etc. I still do wiring in the shop, but I end up doing a bit of everything.

The pieces we use that are similar to the piece in the video usually act as an adapter between a valve, and either a gearbox or an actuator. They just need to be machined to match the specific thread type on a valve stem, or bored and keyed for quarter-turn valves (butterfly valves are quarter turn, because they usually only move 90 degrees between open and closed)

This is a pic of one sort of brass bronze? stem nut. Normally they come pre-machined externally and are made to fit one particular brand and size of gearbox or actuator. But you still need to do the internal machining. Normally the brass ones are threaded and are called "multi-turn" because they're going to have to spin for a while to raise or lower the threaded stem that passes through it. Most of ours don't even come bored at all, probably because there's a broad range of stem diameters combined with the threading.

I have some random pics on a phone I'll have to upload this weekend, maybe.

yuezhong-ce-certificate-ba-stem-nut-dimension-globe-valve-gate-valves-518217_1b.jpg

This company has a picture gallery, with a 'machining' section that is probably similar to what we do. Adaption plates, special couplers, torque/stem nuts, etc.

Edmonton Valve Actuation Design Company - Gledhill Steel Products Ltd.

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
Here's what i do.
Not my bike or Dyno cause you know, i don't want you to know my name haha
Full time i design and build Dynos, part time i build turbo kits for bikes and tune them, along with anything else that someone wants.

• 2Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I can't be of any help. The only machining we do is on a type of machine they don't make anymore I don't think. Vertical lathe made for doing driveshaft and flange work in WWII. Still going strong and does what we need for turning plate we cut on the plasma table to manway flanges and pipe flanges up to 6' diameter quick and dirty.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
I've never used one let alone seen one in the flesh... Still very popular in the ship building game and massive

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
I was talking to the old guys at work a while ago, here in Australia I'm possibly the last of the toolmaker generation. They (the old guys) know more than I could ever hope to.. I'm trying to get them to write down their secrets so its not lost forever

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
What I was getting at Borzak Borzak was you need to pass on the knowledge, pick a kid at work who's not a dumb cunt and train him up

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
It's the kid at work who runs and takes care of them. We have two.

• 2Like

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
latheboy latheboy

Turbos for motorcycles?

I need a toy, miss my bike. Thinking about buying a 07 gsxr 750 (what I had).

That the type of thing you do?