The Machinist

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Come on @a_skeleton_03 tell me about it on an open forum.. Its just between us
I used to have a thread with a complete breakdown. I have also discussed it with quite a few people that could totally make it on their own with no help from me. I have been very open with it and nobody has made it. Tells me that it’s just not as great of an idea as I thought, too expensive to take the risk on it, or the market might not support it.

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
That is one machine that scares the hell out of me, i hate them.

We had one at work years ago and i refused to use it.
What's scary about it other than staying clear? Seems like cutting something like that exist with plasma cutter or something? Not clean enough?

/notahandyman

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
There is no feel on a shaper, it's just go.
I would put that on a mill and cut it with a slot drill, much easier and safer and you can feel what the cutter is doing.

I have used a few and both were old worn out machines, so not a good example really.

Been getting my TIG weld on the last full days, just on steel, having never used DC pulse before i've found it is a great thing.
3mm RHS (1/8" for you weirdos) and it's cool as, normally i just go with DC and pick up my skirt and run. This is heaps easier to get a nice flat run with no distortion.
Not sure about Alloy yet but i'll give it a go on the next job.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
The only machine that bothers me is the threading tool in the shop. Mostly because they misuse it a lot. If they thread a piece a foot long it works OK cause they camp it down. When they thread one end of a 3/4" bar that is 20' long for sag rods they put one end up in the machine and leave it laying on the floot on the other end and forget to clamp it on the thread end. It works most of the time, till it doesn't work. Then it flips around a 20' long piece of 3/4" steel rod. Saw a guy get caught in it once, he went for a hell of a ride till they got the power off. Maintence guy shut off the power, no way someone was running up to the machine to turn it off. Guy walked off saying "that was a hell of a ride", looking like he was on a 3 day drunk.

Donblargo

Potato del Grande
Remember, just keep repeating "Dip dip potato chip" in your head to keep cadence.

20170715_085912.jpg

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Go to 19:30 if you want to skip all the setup and just want to see how that machine cuts

that is an oddly specific machine. what the fuck would you use it for other than cutting key ways? Also a horizontal mill is more versatile than that thing and can do its job.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
I use Solidwork, Autocad is shit ... Solidworks and Inventor are pretty much the same thing and you'll pick it up pretty quick if you swap programs.

I havent played with Autodesk's Fusion 360 yet, but I am told it is very similar to drawing in Solidworks.

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
So today was a disappointing day, I can't go into details of the part but I outsourced a heap of stuff to a CNC place. They have made these parts before and everything has been cool. Today I found the whole batch of 100 parts are unusable... Fuuuuuuu!!!
I don't have a quality control person at work because we employ tradesmen who do that as they go, they all know I don't except failures and they all do a great job. If a part isn't correct it never leaves the factory.
I except the same from companies that I send work to, I will check the first batch and if good I don't check the next time as I should be able to trust them. Its not that hard!!
Having a good look at the current batch and parts from the last I can tell they were machined in a totally different set up. Lathe jaw marks here not there etc. Different surface finishes so feed rates are different bla bla bla ... How can you let a part go out the door that is way out of tolerance and not worry about it?

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
I havent played with Autodesk's Fusion 360 yet, but I am told it is very similar to drawing in Solidworks.
Never used 360 so can't comment, really they are all just a variation of the same thing with their own pros and cons

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Never used 360 so can't comment, really they are all just a variation of the same thing with their own pros and cons

welp the upside of 360 is it is cloud based subscription. So its a lot more affordable to more people. No more dropping $3-4K for an Autocad key. But having your designs stored on ADs cloud server sounds like a good way to get your work stolen if its proprietary.

I am guessing they want in on the home 3D printing hobby folks market,

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
In other news, my bike was one its wheels for the first time last weekend
Screenshot_20181012-193934.png

Ended up pulling it apart and hard the frame and swingarm heat treated. So its slowly going back together.
IMG_20181019_184752.jpg

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
welp the upside of 360 is it is cloud based subscription. So its a lot more affordable to more people. No more dropping $3-4K for an Autocad key. But having your designs stored on ADs cloud server sounds like a good way to get your work stolen if its proprietary.

I am guessing they want in on the home 3D printing hobby folks market,
Yeah I have a massive issue with the cloud for any design stuff.
$12K for a new seat of solid works here in Australia... Its bullshit what they charge and then get upset when people pirate. I can get a copy at the market for $40 ..

• 1Solidarity

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I have a massive issue with the cloud for any design stuff.
$12K for a new seat of solid works here in Australia... Its bullshit what they charge and then get upset when people pirate. I can get a copy at the market for $40 ..

New Autocad keys were about $10K. I would always buy 2-5 yr old versions for $200-500. Fusion 360 sub was $25 / month for early adopters, I think it's $50 regular price.

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
Actually, any design program that has to use the internet to work is shit. I have been onsite with a laptop in the middle of no where reverse engineering parts on the fly, I couldn't have done that with a cloud style program

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
I do a lot of architectural parts. I was fooling around with Products - Aspire problem is the trial version only lets you cut samples, it wont let you cut anything you have drawn, so I have no clue who well it works. Price tag is affordable-ish.

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
We are locked into subscriptions with our seats, you couldn't on sell you program as it wouldn't work without the key, just upgrading your computer can be painful as I've been ask for proof of the old one being destroyed

• 1Solidarity

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
So today was a disappointing day, I can't go into details of the part but I outsourced a heap of stuff to a CNC place. They have made these parts before and everything has been cool. Today I found the whole batch of 100 parts are unusable... Fuuuuuuu!!!
I don't have a quality control person at work because we employ tradesmen who do that as they go, they all know I don't except failures and they all do a great job. If a part isn't correct it never leaves the factory.
I except the same from companies that I send work to, I will check the first batch and if good I don't check the next time as I should be able to trust them. Its not that hard!!
Having a good look at the current batch and parts from the last I can tell they were machined in a totally different set up. Lathe jaw marks here not there etc. Different surface finishes so feed rates are different bla bla bla ... How can you let a part go out the door that is way out of tolerance and not worry about it?

I do want to be careful that I'm not airing my companies dirty laundry out (don't want to be too specific), but let me assure you that it isn't just you.

Fortunately, a lot of our stuff we can return to the factory/manufacturer and get replacements when they send us bad/broken items, but I have to be on top of everything I receive at my location.

The worst thing recently was we had to piece out some work to a local machine shop, and they weren't cheap. Part didn't fit, but to make matters worse, you have to drive 3hrs away to test fit the piece. This happened a couple of times. I met our maintenance manager at the plant once; we tried the part again. Didn't fit. Measured the shit out of it (again). By this point we'd sunk a lot of our margins on this job just paying this machine shop, but we just weren't sure WTF was wrong. Some sort of metric Acme equivalent? Did the original machinist decades ago run his own homebrewed threading that was slightly off? You'd get the piece started, and it would immediately cant the whole piece 10-20 degrees.

We just had to replace most of our machine shop (hence having to send work out that we'd usually do internally, much quicker and cheaper). One of the new guys asked to see the part. His hunch was that the leads/starts were ground down at a really weird angle. The nose did look weird. So he reground the start, and they overnighted it to the site (I was going there the next day for visit #4 anyways). We get the part on site while I'm there, we try it; fits perfectly.

At this point, we either pay the outside machine shop even more money to machine the rest of the set (this was the first of several) when they were kind of highballing us and messed up on the maching somewhat (to be fair, though, I don't think they have experience with this), or we take this back internal even after we'd paid the outside company and they'd already machined test taps, tools, etc, and do the rest ourselves. We decided on the latter, but this whole fiasco was NOT CHEAP.

And even beyond the $$$, it makes us look bad when our customer is like "What exactly is the issue here?!?". We were fucking irate.

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
Erronius Erronius you paid up front?
We don't, normally 60 days to paid after delivery.

Back to my parts, it turns out that the shop we with deal with sub contracted the parts out and they also sub contracted one of the operations on the part too.
Luckily they are going to fix it at their cost. I have had people in the past just walk away and not fix their stuff ups.