The Magicians

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, isn't this actually a Canadian show? Showcase network they are dropping F bombs like crazy. I assume when Syfy airs it they mute it out.
Pretty sure my torrent downloads are Showcase, if not every time at least some of them, and they always bleep it too. Are you saying you watch it on Showcase and they don't? Or just that network in general typically allows it?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Pretty sure my torrent downloads are Showcase, if not every time at least some of them, and they always bleep it too. Are you saying you watch it on Showcase and they don't? Or just that network in general typically allows it?

I watch the tv rips (downloaded from usenet but should be the same as the torrents) and I'm pretty sure anything with the "Showcase" watermark is uncensored. I mean, I distinctly remember hearing clear as day "fuck" being said in Incorporated. And that had the "Showcase" logo, but oddly enough it's listed as a Syfy show?

• 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I watch the tv rips (downloaded from usenet but should be the same as the torrents) and I'm pretty sure anything with the "Showcase" watermark is uncensored. I mean, I distinctly remember hearing clear as day "fuck" being said in Incorporated. And that had the "Showcase" logo, but oddly enough it's listed as a Syfy show?
Not sure what is up with all that, but I'm fairly certain that the Showcase versions of this show are still edited. I could be wrong, or mixing up Showcase rips, but I know not a single one of The Magicians I've watched, prior to bluray rips, has been unedited.

• 1Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I have noticed that the actress who plays Alice has definitely been practicing her 'finger tutting' during the production break. In the first season her spell casting was the most subdued of the principal characters and they said in the 'behind-the-scenes' bit that she had the hardest time mastering the complex finger gestures and that Quentin was, thankfully, the quickest study at getting them down.

The attention they pay to those details is just one of the reasons I think the producers of this show are very much on the ball.

• 1Like

Cybsled

Ya, good episode. Sounds like Marina went to hell, based on her reaction when they used the necromancy spell lol

• 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Not having read the books, I wonder if Alice could possibly be gone for real. I hope not. And I don't want to know, just pondering.

I was a little disappointed with the "capturing the magical creature" part. Was sort of weak all the way around I thought. And the creature was freaky as fuck looking. Not to mention, Q wasted a fucking wish. All he had to do was wait until Penny woke up to get the same fucking thing. Why not ask for pretty much fucking anything besides what he did? Yes, I know, heartbroken and all that, but come on!

I still want to transplant Margo's brain into Julia's body and then hang out (bang out) the result. In the meantime I'd happily take Margo the way she is though. Her attitude kills me every time, I love it.

• 1Like

velk

Trakanon Raider
Not to mention, Q wasted a fucking wish. All he had to do was wait until Penny woke up to get the same fucking thing. Why not ask for pretty much fucking anything besides what he did? Yes, I know, heartbroken and all that, but come on!

I still want to transplant Margo's brain into Julia's body and then hang out (bang out) the result. In the meantime I'd happily take Margo the way she is though. Her attitude kills me every time, I love it.

Quentin is a fucking idiot, nothing new here ;p

Margot gets all the best lines. 'Your *actual* kingdom is *actually* at stake' ;p

• 1Like

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Man this season is way the fuck all over the place. One scene will be amazing, the next will have me completely "wtf who wrote this?" Or they'll have both in the same scene, like the battle against Martin (the special effects for Alice's magic missiles were terrible, and what the fuck was with Elliot and Margo just sitting behind a rock providing running commentary the whole time? But it definitely got some feels going when Alice is charging up her spell and going niffin to that dramatic music).

I will say this - they lucked the hell out with their casting. This show could so easily have slipped into awfulness if the cast weren't nailing so much of the acting.

I was a little disappointed with the "capturing the magical creature" part. Was sort of weak all the way around I thought. And the creature was freaky as fuck looking. Not to mention, Q wasted a fucking wish. All he had to do was wait until Penny woke up to get the same fucking thing. Why not ask for pretty much fucking anything besides what he did? Yes, I know, heartbroken and all that, but come on!

Yeah they seem to be pretty weird about how they adapt certain plotlines, compared to the books. I guess because they need to keep multiple POV's running? It still feels like they could have tightened things up a lot, even taking budgetary concerns (hell, they could probably save money by not wasting it on stupid pointless additional sub-plots like "riddle games with Fogg's ex").

In fairness, it is kind of hard to imagine what he'd wish for in his current state. But it is a shame, because Quentin's recovery after Alice's death and his hunt for the magical animal to take him home is extremely poignant in the books, really brilliant stuff even though I didn't really like book 1 the first time I read it.

But in the show we get Quentin bouncing back in a few weeks (which feel like 5 minutes) then off on weird wacky hijinks running around Stoner Forest with Penny. Then he catches the White Lady and he's all grieving again? Hopefully they handle his return to Earth a bit better. But it feels like the show is constantly bouncing around in terms of tone, losing a lot of the emotional resonance the books had and not really gaining much in return other than humor (Penny's line about shooting the White Lady was gold, so was Ember's convo with Martin at the Wellspring).

also:

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Cybsled

lol I forgot about that line from Penny. "When people like me say they are hunting the white lady, they get shot"

Quentin's reaction isn't that out of the ordinary. In his mind, catching a mythical creature that grants wishes means that Alice will come back. He is still hurting from the loss, but there is a realistic chance he can undo it. Once that hope is ripped away, then all he has is the realization that she is gone forever and only then can he truly grieve.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Azrayne

I am wondering
what they're planning for Alice in the future. Her return is a massive plot point in book 3 and a huge part of Quentin's character arc, but in the books she was just a Niffin, and not actually physically dead the way she seems to have in the show.

Also they need to make up their fucking minds with Penny's hands. He has hands, then he loses them, then he regains them but they're cursed and useless/dangerous, then he regains the use of them through a ritual, then the ritual fails and they're useless again, then he has Quentin chop them off, then he has the White Lady regrow them, except apparently now they're useless again because reasons. In 4 episodes. Jesus.

• 1Like

Cybsled

They haven't been shy about book mixing, so I imagine book 3 will mix with this season as well.

• 1Like

Caliane

Man this season is way the fuck all over the place. One scene will be amazing, the next will have me completely "wtf who wrote this?" Or they'll have both in the same scene, like the battle against Martin (the special effects for Alice's magic missiles were terrible, and what the fuck was with Elliot and Margo just sitting behind a rock providing running commentary the whole time? But it definitely got some feels going when Alice is charging up her spell and going niffin to that dramatic music).

I will say this - they lucked the hell out with their casting. This show could so easily have slipped into awfulness if the cast weren't nailing so much of the acting.

Yeah they seem to be pretty weird about how they adapt certain plotlines, compared to the books. I guess because they need to keep multiple POV's running? It still feels like they could have tightened things up a lot, even taking budgetary concerns (hell, they could probably save money by not wasting it on stupid pointless additional sub-plots like "riddle games with Fogg's ex").

In fairness, it is kind of hard to imagine what he'd wish for in his current state. But it is a shame, because Quentin's recovery after Alice's death and his hunt for the magical animal to take him home is extremely poignant in the books, really brilliant stuff even though I didn't really like book 1 the first time I read it.

But in the show we get Quentin bouncing back in a few weeks (which feel like 5 minutes) then off on weird wacky hijinks running around Stoner Forest with Penny. Then he catches the White Lady and he's all grieving again? Hopefully they handle his return to Earth a bit better. But it feels like the show is constantly bouncing around in terms of tone, losing a lot of the emotional resonance the books had and not really gaining much in return other than humor (Penny's line about shooting the White Lady was gold, so was Ember's convo with Martin at the Wellspring).

also:

yeah. The makeup effects on the Beasts arm was pretty terrible. not convincing at all. I'm pretty sure the script called for the arm to be gone entirely, or a charred husk at best. what we got was just an arm painted black. And then the actor did not sell dead burned off arm at all.
And, a number of people here liked the Beast trolling. but, wasn't one of the points being, he gave up his humanity to take over Fillory? Dude was too overly human.

• 1Like

Azrayne

Yeah the arm looked pretty cheesy, but the part I really noticed was the special effects. Obviously their budget is a lot more strained this season, but the effects for most of the basic magic in that scene (Alice's magic missiles, Beast's fireball) were atrocious. Luckily the Niffin effects were pretty good.

But why the fuck were Elliot and Margo just sitting behind a rock (besides the obvious benefit of providing constant exposition "oh god, she's going to turn into a Niffin, remember those?")?

And you've got Quentin just lying there on the ground - he doesn't actually look all that injured or in pain, so it feels kind of silly.

On the flip side, when she starts up the big casting and the music kicks in, it was definitely a pretty badass moment. It's just weird having that clash of tone in a single scene.

• 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
She was pretty hot as she's walking around bitched out with a flame running beneath her skin. Good look.

• 1Like

Rope

Silver Knight of the Realm
Yeah the arm looked pretty cheesy, but the part I really noticed was the special effects. Obviously their budget is a lot more strained this season, but the effects for most of the basic magic in that scene (Alice's magic missiles, Beast's fireball) were atrocious. Luckily the Niffin effects were pretty good.

But why the fuck were Elliot and Margo just sitting behind a rock (besides the obvious benefit of providing constant exposition "oh god, she's going to turn into a Niffin, remember those?")?

And you've got Quentin just lying there on the ground - he doesn't actually look all that injured or in pain, so it feels kind of silly.

On the flip side, when she starts up the big casting and the music kicks in, it was definitely a pretty badass moment. It's just weird having that clash of tone in a single scene.

I feel like they did a really good job at explaining why everyone acted the way they did without spoon feeding every last detail into our assholes.

• 1Like

Azrayne

To me it felt like spoon feeding was exactly what they were doing, what with having Elliot & Margo sitting behind the rock reminding everybody what a Niffin is and cracking Harry Potter jokes, instead of actually trying to help fight the Beast. I'm sure budget was a consideration too (twice as many expensive special effects), but still.

• 1Like