The Magicians

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
As for the Josh/Kady thing, I predict they had to do it for Fillory. Since there have to be 2 kings and 2 queens, they would have to leave Elliot behind for significant portions of the show when they get to Fillory since Josh became the second king. Recasting Josh as Kady means they can use Q, Elliot, Kady, and Margo as the Fillory royalty and that Kady gives a reason for Penny to stay in the story at that point.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Started watching this, finished episode 2. Quentin's constant whining is driving me crazy but I'm enjoying it so far. Really makes you hate the school though, with the memory wipes and shit. Rooting for the girl that didn't get in.
Q is supposed to be a whiny cunt for the first part of the story. Part of the series is him actually becoming an adult through his experiences with magic. He is an even bigger bitch in the books.

Nidhogg

Molten Core Raider
I haven't read the books, I looked up names in the wiki to know what they were talking about when referencing characters (like the yin/yang people) but tried not to spoiler alert myself too much. Once it started talking about people in fillory I stopped. Don't like plotlines given away, even if the show isn't following the same path as the books.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
I was wondering how obliquely they were going to handle the pedophilia. I wasn't sure if they were just going to allude to it or maybe do away with it altogether.

Because of that, I hope they're not actually going with Plover being the Beast. One of the things I thought was ingenious about The Magicians' spin on Narnia was the idea that the Beast was created in part to Ember being a dick. It's the same thing Aslan would do - crown you kings and queens of Narnia then tell you to fuck off when you hit puberty and take your little shit of a cousin instead - but obviously Lewis never explored the consequences of what they might do to a child - particularly when they're often whisked away to avoid something bad that's going on. Ember basically takes away the one escape Martin has from being molested.

Unless they give a lot more backstory to Plover than he had in the novels, making him the Beast would change a lot of the Beast's motivations. I can see them going that route though since they're establishing him as someone obsessed with magic and getting to Fillory, which I don't recall from the novels.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Fucky beyond all doubt, but I don't think Q has it right on who the beast is, why would he want to kill Jane if it was Old Geezerguy. Martin seems to be the budding "why does fillory hate me, let's find a way in no matter what." I'm assuming the 2 guardian yin/yang things saw this too which is why they denied him entry.
maybe.. I'm not convinced it's Martin, but I don't think it's Plover. I just don't see how a middle aged guy becomes that good at magic, doesn't feel like a 'clean' story. To become as good as the Beast, it's gotta be something you were working towards before you knew it. So, it has to be someone who already has magical talent, or young enough to still develop it, imo.

Plus, it was a little obvious how they were trying to suggest it was him. 'Oh, what if I grow extra fingers!'.

Cybsled

Did you guys watch last week's episode? They all but confirmed the Beast = Jane's brother during the scene where she got murdered by him inside that room.

However, the main characters don't know this, so they assume it is Plover based on the haunted time-slip infoez from this episode.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Well, that escalated quickly.

Was surprised how much darker they made that whole aspect of the story (I'm pretty sure there was no murder and torture in the book, right? Just a comment or two about how Martin was abused by Plover). Honestly it felt a little crude and over the top, even for a TV adaption - that whole episode was some American Horror Story shit, which is a bit much even for a "dark" fantasy series - it takes it way back out of the realm of deconstruction.

And yeah the whole Plover studying magic thing came out of right field a bit, wonder if it's just a red herring to mislead people, or whether they're going to give him some greater role in the story.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Did you guys watch last week's episode? They all but confirmed the Beast = Jane's brother during the scene where she got murdered by him inside that room.
Huh? What was said that confirmed it was her brother? I must have missed that.

Cybsled

When she is in the room with the possessed guy, he confirms that she is his sister Jane before he breaks free and murders her. Considering possessed guy was being controlled by the Beast, that pretty much confirmed the Beast was Jane's sibling.

Caliane

When she is in the room with the possessed guy, he confirms that she is his sister Jane before he breaks free and murders her. Considering possessed guy was being controlled by the Beast, that pretty much confirmed the Beast was Jane's sibling.
he calls her "still the same determined little Jane Chatwin." At no point calls her sister or anything.
"I picked the verbo? blade especially for you jane. A little twinge of nostalgia."

I think Martin still as well. Just saying though.

Caliane

googling. yeah its Virgo.

Thought it might have been Vert, Verde, etc related. (French, Italian)
Granted, latin origin is an I. Viridis.
Green, growth, youthful.

only marginally related to virga/virgo. meaning maiden,virgin, youth.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
he calls her "still the same determined little Jane Chatwin." At no point calls her sister or anything.
yea.. the reveal was that the lady was Jane Chatwin, which was supposed to be surprising but they had been dressing her identical in that episode, cutting to flashbacks of her as a kid, so it wasn't very surprising to me anyway. But, at no point did he say he was her brother.
so I did some googling, and now I see that it's the same thing as the Walking Dead thread, where these are book spoilers are creeping into everyone's 'predictions', so whatever. It had not been mentioned at all in the show that Martin is the beast, and until this last episode there was not a single clue in that direction at all. Anyone who 'knew' it before then found it online or in the books.

Caliane

yeah, people have been dropping book spoilers from the beginning. I never read them, looked up the "did Jane die in the books", question. and right there, consider that. Jane did NOT die in the books. So book spoilers in this thread, should not be too big of a deal. The show is taking and already has taken massive liberties. Its very possible book Beast and tv show Beast are not the same person.

Karloff_sl

shitlord
I've already forgotten most of the book, so no book to show expectations for me. I'm putting the Martin as the beast ticket in, seems to make the most sense so far. Need more Margo too, how long is her spring break vacation going to last, sheesh.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
All in all, I'm not really sure there's a ton to spoil from these books anyways. I don't recall them being books with a lot of twists. The biggest thing is obviously who the Beast is, but it's hard to tell if the show will follow the books or go in a different direction since they've already started to diverge on that part of the storyline. And honestly, the novel was sort of predictable to the point where the reveal was hardly a shocking moment.