The Magicians

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
The show is departing from the books at a rapid clip. This is not such a bad thing, as the pacing of the books would be hard to replicate on TV.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Yeah, I find this curious, too. Show is fun enough, but why all the departures?
They wouldn't be able to keep the momentum especially that huge lull in any kid of action between Brakebills and Fillory.

Brakebills south and the trials game was like half the book from what I remember. I think there was quite a bit of writing about the tunnels in the walls and stuff like that when searching for her brother.

I might actually reread the book tonight.

Brand

Molten Core Raider
They wouldn't be able to keep the momentum especially that huge lull in any kid of action between Brakebills and Fillory.

Brakebills south and the trials game was like half the book from what I remember. I think there was quite a bit of writing about the tunnels in the walls and stuff like that when searching for her brother.

I might actually reread the book tonight.
They want us hooked before rolling out to the bigger FX budget of Fillory and the fountains...That would be my guess.

Cybsled

They also had to depart from the books because all of Julia's stuff happens in book 2 for the most part and she is MIA most of book 1.

Which is good, because Julia's arc is actually pretty good in the TV show.

Karloff_sl

shitlord
I'm sad that they seem to have killed the crossbow'd whore from GoT, I like that actress.
Saddest part of the show so far , really was hoping to see more of Esme.

I burned through the first book and then sorta binged watched the past 5 episodes and it's one of the rare shows that far exceeds the book, now I haven't read any of the others but I felt the first was a big meh, so I'll just continue to enjoy the show.

Sylverlokk

Golden Knight of the Realm
Yep I agree 100% I read the first book and couldn't be bothered to mroe then google a synopsis of the other two, but this show has far more interesting characters and the storyline is much better as well.

elidib

Vyemm Raider
My complaints about the book still hold up to the show, but so do my praises, so it's watchable.

Devlin

Golden Squire
Really enjoying this show, it's like that Shadowhunters show but with a story and more adult and not shit.

God that Shadowhunters is garbage.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Book spoilers - I'd also recommend not reading that wiki if you don't want some major spoilers from later in the show given away.

Doesn't she end up having some whole time travelling schtick in the books? I'm sure they could use that to write around it pretty easily.

Rime

<Donor>
Book spoilers - I'd also recommend not reading that wiki if you don't want some major spoilers from later in the show given away.

Doesn't she end up having some whole time travelling schtick in the books? I'm sure they could use that to write around it pretty easily.
Just finished reading the series, did not even know it had been made into a show. But yeah, Jane Chatwin plays a part at the end of the first book. She is the Clocklady/woman. Who was a villain in the Fillory books. MAJOR SPOILERS FOR FIRST BOOK FOLLOWS.
Jane Chatwin has a magic watch that the dwarfs made for her. She had reset time again and again and again and that was the only time that their group (or any group) had been able to kill Martin, so Jane felt that losing Alice to stop him from continuing his evil was a reasonable loss. When Q wants to use her time travel ability to go back and save Alice from sacrificing herself to kill Martin, Jane smashes the magic watch that lets her time travel, leaving him to suffer the loss and prevent it from being changed.