The Magicians

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Karloff_sl

shitlord
5.00 star(s) Rating: 5.00/5 3 Votes
Title: The Magicians

Genre: Drama, Fantasy, Horror

First aired: 2015-12-16

Creator: Sera Gamble

Cast: Hale Appleman, Olivia Taylor Dudley, Rick Worthy, Jason Ralph, Arjun Gupta, Stella Maeve, Jade Tailor, Summer Bishil, Trevor Einhorn, Brittany Curran

Overview: Brakebills University is a secret institution specializing in magic. There, amidst an unorthodox education of spellcasting, a group of twenty-something friends soon discover that a magical fantasy world they read about as children is all too real— and poses grave danger to humanity.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Karloff_sl

shitlord
[SERIES][TVPOSTER]View attachment 80522[/TVPOSTER][SERIESWRAP][EPISODENAME]The Magicians[/EPISODENAME]

Genre: [GENRE]Drama[/GENRE], [GENRE]Fantasy[/GENRE], [GENRE]Horror[/GENRE]

First Aired: [RELEASE]2015-12-16[/RELEASE]

Overview: [PLOT]Brakebills University is a secret institution specializing in magic. There, amidst an unorthodox education of spellcasting, a group of twenty-something friends soon discover that a magical fantasy world they read about as children is all too real— and poses grave danger to humanity.[/PLOT][/SERIESWRAP][/SERIES]

Been seeing previews for it and was on after the end of Childhoods End, so since I'm a sucker for magic shows I'd give it a go.

Was impressed, I have no knowledge of the book series it's based off of and it pulled me in enough to watch the next few episodes. Was the books that it's based off any good?

elidib

Vyemm Raider
The author can create a great world and setting, however all of the characters are completely insufferable. I can not recommend the books at all unless you like reading about douchebag narcissistic pricks and suicidal emo trust fund babies.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
The original idea of the trilogy is "deconstruct Harry Potter", I think. Since I'm rarely interested in rebuttals/can-do-better books, I've given it a pass. Is the TV show really good?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
The books are more of an edgier Harry Potter meets Narnia. I liked them and read them all despite their flaws.

I haven't watched last night's episode yet but will in a little bit.

Brand

Molten Core Raider
It seems to stay mostly true to the books...Some minor changes, but nothing that really bugs me. The Julia storyline is moving faster than I expected. In fact, the entire series seems to be moving fast. Is this intended as a mini-Series?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
It seems to stay mostly true to the books...Some minor changes, but nothing that really bugs me. The Julia storyline is moving faster than I expected. In fact, the entire series seems to be moving fast. Is this intended as a mini-Series?
Not a mini series but I think SyFy realizes that they have to be quick especially in the first season or they run the risk of viewers not tuning in. Then they have spent money on an IP license that is worthless and they won't finish it. When you buy a license it's assuming you will do it all and if you fail you eat that initial investment.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
The books are more of an edgier Harry Potter meets Narnia.
I haven't read the books, but those are the two feelings I kept getting while watching the show. Especially Harry Potter, but definitely some Narnia with the step into another world thing.

I thought the first episode was enjoyable and interesting. It hooked me enough that I want to know more about what seems to be the 3/5 main characters (the main guy, the girl friend, and the know it all girl). The two of them could very easily just be called Harry and Hermione though.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I haven't read the books, but those are the two feelings I kept getting while watching the show. Especially Harry Potter, but definitely some Narnia with the step into another world thing.

I thought the first episode was enjoyable and interesting. It hooked me enough that I want to know more about what seems to be the 3/5 main characters (the main guy, the girl friend, and the know it all girl). The two of them could very easily just be called Harry and Hermione though.
You should read the books, you might like them. I think you might not call them Harry and Hermione later on.

Brand

Molten Core Raider
I enjoyed the books...Although I wanted to punch some of the main characters in the throat at times...Fucking Quentin is the very definition of a fallible human being, or a smart dumb person. I always liked his supporting cast more.

And the books are more of a edgier Narnia...Very little happens in Brakebills.

I loved the way the Beast was introduced. They also did a good job with the Easter egg characters...If you hadn't read the books you would miss some of them on a single viewing.

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
This is a good show. It is well made from a narrative point of view, it grabbed me in the first couple of minutes.
I don't understand some of the hate, especially when compared with other crap that's on TV....
Loved it.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
The books are more of an edgier Harry Potter meets Narnia. I liked them and read them all despite their flaws.

I haven't watched last night's episode yet but will in a little bit.
I watched last nights episode seems interesting it could go either way but pretty solid start.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Wait, I'm seeing comments that suggest you've all watched episodes of this already, but I thought it didn't premiere until mid January? Did they release some ahead of time?

Qhue

Trump's Staff
It was a commercial-free advance airing right after the third part of Childhood's End. You had to have watched it live or DVR'd it as they didn't put it up online or even have it open on-demand. A couple friends who were eager to check this out were especially annoyed at that last bit because they use On-demand for everything.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
It's available to torrent on the usual sites.

I thought it was a good start and showed potential, but I felt the book itself was only average and especially fell a bit flat towards the end, so I'm not sure how the series will come out. On the other hand they've shown they're happy making major changes (aging all the characters up being the big one - they also seem to have added an entire sideplot with the chick he's friends with, unless my memory of the book is just poor), so it could turn out better than the book was.

The main character actually felt less whiny and annoying than he did in the book. And the final scene was really well done, they nailed the creepiness I remember from the book.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I read all the books and thought they were great. Very enjoyable and a good blending of Narnia, Harry Potter, with a little Lord of the Rings thrown in there. The characters are young, and portrayed as such. I'm really looking forward to this show.

TV show information provided by The Movie Database