The Magicians

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The scene with the books fucking made that episode. That was out of left field and I liked it.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I still like this show, even if I'm not a fan of the book nerd blonde chick. With the whole "you have a stupid face" and then freaking out when he saved her from zombie brother at the end. I realize it's your brother, but calm the fuck down. He's already dead.

Cybsled

Interesting episode, especially the parts with Julia. She can't catch a break ;p

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Jesus, that ending sucked balls.

The episode as a whole was pretty good, digging this show a lot though, so it's hard to judge episodes fairly. Even bad episodes are fun to watch just cause I love the premise.

Caliane

if hedgewitchs are a thing, and a known thing, that they don't care about... why are they erasing peoples memories of tryouts for the school? its like they are trying to make enemies, and being intentionally irresponsible..
why in the world would they not be like, oh you didnt get in here. but, let me refer you to some, community college of witches for noobs.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
They know they exist, but they aren't a police force. They don't have the time or care enough to shut them down. They tried to prevent them in the first place by erasing memories, but occasionally someone learns magic on their own and that's where the hedges come from. They still don't want to encourage it, which is why they don't refer people. Learning magic on your own is potentially dangerous.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
They also have the most dangerous and powerful spells under lock-and-key. Hedge witches may be unsanctioned magic in the eyes of Brakebills, but they're mostly a minor nuisance due to the lack of spells and training available to them - hence why Marina had to break into the school.

Cybsled

Julia's downward spiral continues. Uses the oldest form of currency to get what she wants and still manages to fuck it up ;P

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Apparently shes not fucking up in the right way. However im really digging on this series, i know nothing of the book, could careless about harry pothead so this is really enjoyable.

Caliane

it occurred to me the other day, everyone is calling this narnia+harry potter. But honestly, Xmen makes a solid claim as well. hedgewitchs are basically hellfireclub.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Fillory.

'nuff said. Maybe I should read this book series... I really like the show. A quick google spoiled what Fillory is for me.

chthonic-anemos

bitchute.com/video/EvyOjOORbg5l/
I don't trust traveler mentor.

Hurry up and get this tattoo so that you can't teleport out of dungeons, bro.
rolleyes.png

Cybsled

I don't trust traveler mentor.

Hurry up and get this tattoo so that you can't teleport out of dungeons, bro.
rolleyes.png
I think the fact that girl in the chains had the tattoo probably made him re-evaluate it. Besides, if you could control the power, physical traveling would be OP. But to the mentor's point, if you fucked up and teleported yourself somewhere fatal, then you'd be boned. Pretty big risk.

Thengel

Golden Knight of the Realm
I want to like this show, but I think it's missing some background. The interesting thing to me in these shows is the magic systems, how they work, how they are learned / inherited, etc. This show gives none of that. Apparently he's been at this school a little while, but we have no idea what he's learned or how, what anyone there is actually capable of, or even why. Random hand movements and/or anger and/or chants seem to make random spells that might do things?

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Yea, I understand how you feel. I like when they define the actual systems of magic, something Harry Potter did decently. But, I still enjoy the show more then most anything else on TV, it'd just be nice if they had some further definition.

I'm guessing we won't get it so much, as the books were meant as a deconstruction of classical fantasy. Fillory is meant to remind you of Narnia and having the same trope of 'kid in a bad situation finding out he's a hero/wizard' as Harry Potter is very much on purpose.

Caliane

yeah. in a way, that is alot of my complaints on the hedgewitchs, memory erasing, etc.
it seems inconsistent.

one minute, erasing minds, cause they can't know about magic. next minute. Eh, hedgewitches are fine.
Then, there is the zomg we need more power element. "whats the point of magic if we can't fix things"
Sure, people are greedy. And struggling with medicracy is something everyone has to deal with at some point. but, in the end, isn't that the point? That most people wouldn't be totally ok with just being able to use magic instead of matches, is idiotic.
Simple, but convenient practical magic should be a thing in this world.

Bouldering is super dangerous. Totally fine doing it indoors, on artificial surfaces. will leave actual mountains to pros.
Pro wrestling is super dangerous. But, amateurs can do it all they want.

Feels like so much, "magic is drugs!", they are ignoring consistent rules and worldbuilding. not to mention the HP, xmen, narnia riffing.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I feel like this show wants to be rated R, what with all the fucks muted out. I cannot imagine how much better this show would be with all the hot (and mostly slutty) chicks actually getting naked.

I agree with Thengel about the lack of info about the magic. All that finger-waving crap actually makes me less interested. I'm hopeful that it is mainly just a sort of limiter built into the training so that they don't go off fucking things up with magic they aren't trained for. I mean, we have the teleporter guy who teleports without finger-waving, and the moth guy obviously just fucks people up, so hopefully it is not really necessary, they just make the kids do it while they learn. And similarly the hedge witches that probably steal much of their info from Brakebills learn it that way as well.

The dean/headmaster guy mentioned he wanted his fingers fixed so he could do magic, but still, I just can't see some badass wizard having to do these overly complex figures while facing down an enemy. Aside from everything else lame about that, I don't understand why wizards wouldn't still just carry a gun with them. You've got plenty of time to shoot that fucker while he's trying to go through all these hand motions, and even just pointing a gun at him is likely to make him fuck up at least once, which now gives you plenty of time to actually walk up to him and break his fingers if you don't want to shoot him.

Nitpicking, I know. But I love magic systems as well, and this one is pretty lackluster as presented in the show. Maybe the books are better?

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Last episode he made 2 "dogs barking" shadow puppets facing one another to summon a black hole. Then the girl came in and made the Blood's gang symbol to make it a sunny day.

Caliane

Makers of the show love Naruto.

Quick google didnt come up with any decent vids on how goofy it is. came up with like a million "how to" vids with shitty dubs.

There is an explanation for the hands signs a bit. A fairly typical one, seen in many magical stories. When the blonde girl was talking about making that thing for her brother, she said it took like 3 days of constant chanting or some shit. Which is why you don't do that on the spot, but instead do that, to enchant an item. which will cast it instantly.
Hence staves, and wands.

hand signs are for spells not prepared. You enchant items, to avoid having to do stupid handsigns, or other complex incantations on the spot.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
In the books it was a ton of hand wiggling and weird languages even after graduation. You could enchant items for shortcuts but I think you still needed to activate it.