The Mandalorian

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Sterling

El Presidente
I love that there's 500 posts that can be summed up as popular doesn't mean good.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
You mean the line I quoted in my initial response. I'm not sure how you're confused. Oh wait you're a liar you weren't confused at all. You were just flailing around trying to find a way to win.
Nice cop out seeing as how literally everything you say is a throw away line.

yeah that line

"no one would watch this dreck "

Did you take this literally? As in you thought I literally meant 0 people would watch The Mandalorian and it would get less viewers than 3 am infomercials?

:trump::trump::trump::trump:

wow, you got me. i guess at least 1 person like you would watch it

• 1Pathetic
Reactions: 1 user

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The show isnt THAT bad, I mean cmon. The last few episodes of season 2 have been fantastic (refugee frog woman aside). I dont understand what more people want.

Lets just look at the original trilogy (episodes 4, 5 and 6). What were the top 3 events/set pieces/sequences from those 3 films? Like what segments stand out to you as true Star Wars magic? Take that, and combine it with the small amount of quality action from Episodes 1, 2 and 3 and you have the bread and butter of Star Wars and what makes it Star Wars to an individual based on what they enjoy.

In my case, just to give an example, I would say the space battle scenes from Episodes 4, 5 and 6, along with Luke and Vader fights, and probably the stuff on Bespin. There wasnt really any other Vader shit that comes to mind, the fight with Obi Wan Im not sure most people would reference as a high point. Anyway, combine that with say, the Anakin pod race, young Obi Wan and Qui Gon Jin fighting Darth Maul, and finally the Clone CGI orgy vs the Jedi/Order 66 stuff.

When I look at all of those "Star Wars" moments that mean the most to me as far as quality and identity, and then compare them to what we have seen from The Mandolorian the last couple of weeks? The Mandolorian's best stuff throughout the first 2 seasons so far has been just as quality as any other of those original 6 movie moments IMO. I would even put the Ashoka Tano Mando scene above most of almost everything from ANY Star Wars movie.

I think they are doing a pretty great job with this, I mean yea it could be better, but everything could be better.

(and no Im not even going to reference Episodes 7, 8 and 9, literally nothing from those movies has stuck with me as entertaining/impactful. It feels better to just forget about them.)

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
The show isnt THAT bad, I mean cmon. The last few episodes of season 2 have been fantastic (refugee frog woman aside). I dont understand what more people want.

Not a low quality western-sitcom would be nice. It’s like they took the writers of Bonanza and said, “Okay, now do Star Wars.”

It’s telling that a major theme that carried Season 1 was one of the characters was really cute.

And FWIW I don’t mind bad writing when there’s something more to carry the show like fight scenes, world building, ship design, mystery, etc.

• 1Salty

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
My son is 8, the same age I was when the original movie came out and we all saw it and loved it. We have a pretty decent home theater setup so we are watching the Mandalorian in there on the big screen and he is loving it. The Krayt dragon scene had him freaking out, I looked at him and it was like looking at me and my brother when we were kids watching the first one. If you aren't digging the show I totally get it, you are an adult, but your 8 year old self would be loving it.

• 4Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Cybsled

That's actually a good point people miss: The Mandalorian helps engage NEW fans to the IP, while at the same time keeping most of the old fans. Clone Wars (and to a lesser degree, Rebels) also helped to do that. The sequel trilogy never really got what made Star Wars tick, so it failed to bring in as many new fans as they hoped, and alienated the OG fans. I think Disney is beginning to understand this. I wouldn't be surprised if the Star Wars land section at the parks slowly begins to pivot to being more tied in with the stuff that is resonating with fans....stuff like a Razorcrest mock-up or a Bounty Hunter guild, for instance.

The new Trek live action shit is a classic example of what happens when you try to just bring in new fans and flip off the old fans.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
That's actually a good point people miss: The Mandalorian helps engage NEW fans to the IP, while at the same time keeping most of the old fans. Clone Wars (and to a lesser degree, Rebels) also helped to do that. The sequel trilogy never really got what made Star Wars tick, so it failed to bring in as many new fans as they hoped, and alienated the OG fans. I think Disney is beginning to understand this. I wouldn't be surprised if the Star Wars land section at the parks slowly begins to pivot to being more tied in with the stuff that is resonating with fans....stuff like a Razorcrest mock-up or a Bounty Hunter guild, for instance.

The new Trek live action shit is a classic example of what happens when you try to just bring in new fans and flip off the old fans.
no, they totally still dont understand. Feloni and Favraeu get it. the company is still Kathleen Kennedy and will likely stay that way and it will continue on its woke path with Mandalorian being that quaint little show to please the boomers.

this is the future of Star Wars.
qkc4pvaqjam41.jpg

• 1Rustled

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I mean, as painful as it is to say this, he's not wrong. The reason so much of this show is enjoyable is because of all the other SW universe tie-ins. That said, as a show on its own I don't think it's garbage, but it wouldn't obviously float this popularity. I could see it succeeding though especially the second some one saw Grogu levitate the Mudhorn and be like "OH WHAT?" Remember how awful Heros was and normies ATE THAT SHIT UP. That in a Sci Fi setting with aliens and spaceships and shit? It'd definitely do well.

"if it wasnt based on these comic books, then these movies are garbage as a stand alone"

edgy

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
no, they totally still dont understand. Feloni and Favraeu get it. the company is still Kathleen Kennedy and will likely stay that way and it will continue on its woke path with Mandalorian being that quaint little show to please the boomers.

They're actually having trouble replacing Kennedy again. A renewal is probably in order.

It's up to her. She's looking at retirement. But if she tells Disney she's committed fully, another renewal probably gets signed.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
They're actually having trouble replacing Kennedy again. A renewal is probably in order.

It's up to her. She's looking at retirement. But if she tells Disney she's committed fully, another renewal probably gets signed.
yep, she has job security as long as there is a cancel mob roaming around on Twitter. Gina and Rosario would have been fired by now if they didnt keep the Mando show out of her control.

• 1Like

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
What I like in this serie is the focus on small task, such as killing that dragon, blasting that base, etc. No epic space battle between a gazillion spaceships and "hurr durr we've built a bigger laser" nonsense. It has a Western movies feelings.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
yep, she has job security as long as there is a cancel mob roaming around on Twitter. Gina and Rosario would have been fired by now if they didnt keep the Mando show out of her control.

They just know how much hiring Kennedy did-- its very much her studio.

Installing a white male would be an act of war. At least half the studio are Kennedy hires.

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>

this is the future of Star Wars.
qkc4pvaqjam41.jpg

STAR WARS WISHES

"dinosaurs"
'arthurian legends
"rival houses"
"university"
"representation/diversity"

Star Wars is sugar slop for smoothbrains.

• 1Solidarity

Goatface

speaking of the high republic stuff, remember some youtubers talking about books were going to recon the force away from being energy from all things as ashoka said on the last episode.
edit found the story
1607012368356.png

• 1Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i mean... it makes a lot of sense why the jedi have become weaker over time and thus needing anakin to rebalance the force if the jedi temple had been teaching all their students that the force is whatever they want it to be.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
This is a bunch of gender studies majors projecting their own make believe into the lore. Also that was the Kathleen Kennedy Klan team and that project was tossed in the shitter last time I checked. I think the Covid pinch has finally forced the Mouse to focus on what is most near and dear to its heart, making money. And that woke shit does not make money.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Jedi retreat on Endor for team building exercises

1607015544549.png

The Force

1607015591903.png

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users